PDA

View Full Version : compact and portable kit

DeanWinchester
09-28-2013, 12:20 PM
I may have covered this a while back and if so, please forgive me..

I have a night vision goggle can that is essentially a 50 cal can only taller. I want to put together a kit that has EVERYTHING i need to load 35 remington and .308 winchester. Itll have two molds, two containers of gas checks, a container of lube, two lee boolit sizers and the appropriate dies.
My question,
In ya'll's opinion, would I be best served using standard dies and a Lee hand press, Lee loaders or Lyman 310 tools?

I know Id probably be better off just filling the can with loaded ammo but thats not my line of thinking.

The 308 would be easiest. Neck sizing for a bolt gun ONLY. BUT, the 35 is for a lever gun and neck sizing only may not be the best idea.

I have some very cool metal tins that stack neat and tight in the can to store gas checks, lube and primers. My pet loads for both rifles use AA2015 so I only need one powder and one primer type.

One thing I have not begun to ponder is a heat source for casting. It would need to be fire based, not electric.
I also have a 20mm can that may be a better option as I intend to store a pair of wheel weight pliers in there. They actually have a rubber mallet on one end, unlike the typical metal ones. It can serve many uses like snagging wheel weights to cast with, a mold mallet, and they have a cutter built in that can be used for many things.

My reasoning is thus, not to bore you with the inconsequential details of my life, but things are such that I may have to move soon and that move would require trimming not only all the fat but a good deal of meat as well. Not a prospect I am enthused about, i tell ya.

Any thoughts are welcome.

Fishman
09-28-2013, 01:31 PM
The hand press hands down. It will handle full length sizing and accept a ram prime unit. You can also size boolits with it.

jmort
09-28-2013, 01:53 PM
I have two Lee Precision Breech Lock Hand Presses. It uses standard dies and does everything one could want in a press as noted in post #2. I would strongly suggest LEE BREECH LOCK QUICK CHANGE BUSHING LOCK RING ELIMINATORS which are about two for $10.00. I also have a few Classic Lee Loaders which I like as well. I am set up for .38/.357 and 9 mm and .308 and 12 gauge (Lane's Hand Loaders for Shotguns) and have no mounted presses. I hand prime and use dippers. Very simple, but I enjoy the whole process.

Wayne Smith
09-28-2013, 03:01 PM
If you want it simple, get the original Lee Loaders, one for each caliber. Otherwise I would look at the Huntington Compact Press. Light years better than the Lee.

rking22
09-28-2013, 06:06 PM
I voed lee loader before I read the post , BUT I still go with that selection. I have and use all your options as well as the huntington. I really like the Huntington but it is expensive ,I lucked into mine at a gun show for 20$ or I wouldn't have it. The Lee hand press works fine but really isn't needed for what you indicated. I load all my 30 Remington loads on a lee loader , by choice. It works fine neck sizing for a Rem 141. I don't load near the top so the brass springs back and so far I have run 6 loadings in a single group of cases with no fatigue loses. I goofed and crushed 1 case on a dumb fit ;) You can use the same mallet to push size bullets (if you really want to) with a brass pin in the push thru and save lots of space. A campfire works fine and the Lodge company has a small cast pot about 3 inches dia that would make a fine pot. You'll need a dipper , I like the Lyman. I cast all my bulles with the dipper ,not enough patience for a botom pour ,been there ,drips drive me nuts. The 6 hole molds did require a bit of experimentation but wors great. I use the Huntington for load development at the range. I don't have Lee Loaders for every caliber so the Huntington is handy . The Lee Handpress is my "just not eating anything so gonna keep it just cause"press. Haven't used it since getting he Huntington. Nohing wrong with it ,just not as "ergonomic" for me as the Huntington. I think it is lighter ,if that matters. Same with the Lyman, doesn't work as well for me as the lee, and the dies are OUTRAGIOUS$ I have 222 rem annd thats what I once used it for. OH check Juniors page for his take on campfire loading, a great read.

Ben
09-28-2013, 06:16 PM
I posted this a few months ago. It may be of interest to you ?

I've been wanting to setup a Portable Reloading package for 38 Special.

My goal was something that you could pick up with one hand, was portable, had everything in it needed to reload 38 Spec. and would easily slide under a bed or into a closet when not in use.

I found the case to put everything in at a Thrift Store for $4.00. My friend Ken is an excellent woodworker. We made dividers and compartments on the inside with a hinged folding locking lid this morning.

Everything needed to reload 38 Special ( other than fired 38 Spec. brass ) is now in the box and ready to go.

Currently in the box is :

A Lee Breech Lock Hand Press w / correct # 1 shell holder in the press.
A 1/2 pound of Bullseye with a spoon to throw 3.5 grs. B'eye
200 ea., 125 gr. cast bullets , lubed, sized .358" and ready to load
200 Winchester primers
A de-burring tool.
A primer pocket clean out tool.
A complete Lee Carbide , 38 Special , 3 Die set with all dies with Beech Lock rings on them for rapid change in / out in the hand press.
An RCBS ram prime ( w/ breech lock ring ) set up for small pistol primers
A Lee funnel
A loading block

I'm putting all this together for my grandson. It could be switched over to another pistol or rifle caliber rather easily.

Easy to slide under the bed when not in use. Throw an old towel on a coffee table , get everything out of the box and start reloading.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v494/haysb/005-28.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v494/haysb/004-40.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v494/haysb/003-42.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v494/haysb/002-47.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v494/haysb/001-43.jpg

DeanWinchester
09-28-2013, 06:41 PM
Haha! Ben that's great. I don't put nuthin past you ole buddy!

blueeyephil
09-28-2013, 06:54 PM
Nice setup. I think the Lee hand press is too often discounted as not worth much. What cartridge did you use to make your powder measure?

Ben
09-28-2013, 07:46 PM
.22 Magnum rim fire

Spruce
09-28-2013, 10:09 PM
Nice looking setup Ben, very well thought out. I always like to see and read your posts. Always very informative and most of all you include very nice photos. Thanks.

Ben
09-28-2013, 10:23 PM
Spruce

Glad that you enjoy them ! !

Many thanks,
Ben

Lead Fred
09-29-2013, 06:53 PM
I have a long strapped woman's hand bag set up for 45 ACP, 45/70, and 30-30.
I can load out of the bag for months. Except for the 45/70 bag, the 45/70 bag being the heaviest, I have a pair of wheel weight pliers, so I can find lead along the way.

Each has a Lee classic loader, way lighter than the hand press. Only One guy Ive shown hand loaders had to use a hand press, because he has to use a small base sizing die. He uses a Lee Classic loader for everything else.

I sell the heck out of Lee Classic loaders. We even put custom dippers to fit the owners loads

gwpercle
09-30-2013, 08:00 PM
I got my Lee hand Press and everything needed to load for 38spcl/357 mag, 45 acp, 41 mag. 30-30 and 30-06 all stowed neatly in a tool -box that is 9 inches wide X 9 inches tall X 18 inches long. It's amazing how much fits in there and how often I use this setup...my bench mounted press is getting jealous.
The Hand Press is one of Lee's neatest tools, got the whack-a-mole loader beat by a mile and the Price on the Lyman 310 set up is way out of my budget.
Gary

Green Frog
10-02-2013, 06:27 AM
If you want it simple, get the original Lee Loaders, one for each caliber. Otherwise I would look at the Huntington Compact Press. Light years better than the Lee.

+1 or more to Wayne! Should you really decide to seriously reload rather than just have the capability in an emergency, you will appreciate the quality and utility of the Huntington Compact. I've tried the Lee and others, and there is no really logical stop between the Lee Loaders ("Whack-a-Mole") or the Lyman 310 Tool if you just need to load a few rounds occasionally as in for hunting, etc at the low end, and the ability to do some serious reloading with all the processes possible. This topic has been hashed and rehashed dozens of times, and the end result is always that in actual practice for SHTF situations or other survival considerations, it would be best to pack an equivalent weight and volume of loaded ammo (the best way to "store" your components! ;) ) but it is fun to speculate and if you really need or want to assemble such an outfit, by all means, have at it. I have done this on a more directed basis where I carry portable loading gear to the range for load development, etc, and I have gone to the 310 for a few "fun" loads and the Huntington for "serious" target work. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Froggie

PS To Ben: I too saw your set up when you posted it earlier, and it strikes me as a great exercise in design to answer the questions from the OP, and also serves to reinforce my contention about carrying loaded ammo if you are serious about having enough ammo available for survival or SHTF situations... Can you imagine how many boxes of 38s you could carry in that same case? Don't get me wrong, I like what you did, but it's a matter, to me at least, of how to best solve a supply problem. How many bullets and primers, and how much powder would you normally carry? How many loaded rounds would you ultimately be able to produce?

jmort
10-02-2013, 09:53 AM
You will find few people who dislike their Lee Hand press. At around $30.00 it a fantastic deal. The HDC Compac is $140.00 and may be great, but if you read the owner reviews/ratings, the Lee Hand Press is a well loved press. I love mine.

36 ratings/reviews 4.8 out or 5 stars for the press alone with 33 5/5 stars and 1 4/5 stars and 1 3/3 stars and 1 2/5 stars. About as good a a product gets. The hand press kit get 4.9 out of 5 stars with 32 5/5 star ratings and 4 4/5 star ratings. Rarely will you see a product so highly rated.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/650614/lee-breech-lock-hand-press-kit
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/665540/lee-breech-lock-hand-press?cm_vc=S014

I have no personal interest in what you get, other than I hope you love it, but take the simplistic Lee Precision bashing with a grain of salt, most of it is based on pure ignorance.

Ben's set-up is sweet, and as noted can be pulled out from under a bed and put right to work. No one mentioned a SHTF scenario, so the thread drift/comments are nonsense in context of this thread.

The O/P stated he was downsizing not fleeing a Zombie Apocalypse. Post #s 2, 6, 12, and 13 make sense to me. The Breech Lock feature on the Lee Hand Press is a really nice improvement.

DeanWinchester
10-02-2013, 10:35 AM
Yes I am looking at downsizing. Now, if that helps me survive world war Z that's great too right? Lol!
Kidding.....well, kinda.

Seriously. I've accumulated a lot of stuff as we all have and it was great for a time but now the dust has settled and guess what I'm seeing? A lot of settled dust. Dust on stuff I bought with delusions of grandeur and greatness. Meanwhile I'm shooting the same loads over and over.
The loads I'm shooting work. They're accurate, don't lead, mild recoil and are super cheap. Easy to manufacture too.
I've recently discovered the 35 Remington. Right out of the gate it's doing everything I want and IS everything Ive be been looking for for years. The mild obscurity of brass is squat after seeing what it gives. Small price in my book.
Ive spent an inordinate amount of time tinkering with my 308. Several rifles in fact but all but one have moved on down the line. I've settled on a Ruger M77MkII target rifle. I've cut 8 inches off the barrel to make 18 inches of heavy SS and ditched the godawful target stock in lieu of a Hogue overmolded stock.
I've been through over a dozen mold designs and the two I've settled on will hold an inch at a hundred if I do my part. Done! I can't shoot standing offhand any better than four or five inches so the rifle will ALWAYS be better than me. What's left to do? I can load these for less than $10 per (50).

Handguns, I only shoot 9x19, 38 spl & 45 colt. I've got enough 9x19 to cover my shooting habits for the next 20 years. 38's and 45 Colt, well, they're super simple to load for. Nothing complex here.

I dare not say I've mastered squat. I have not. What I have done is found what makes me happy and will take care of everything I'm intelligent enough to foresee. Much as I'd love to, I'll never see any other place but here in Tn. If there's ever anything in TN I can't kill with a 308 or a 35 Remington then maybe the law of Survival of the Fittest demands I take the long nap.

I love reloading and cast too much to say I'm done. It's my one TRUE passion, but I feel like I've found what I've been looking for. Just in time too as events and details in my life may demand I reorganize and/or relocate.
If I can downsize, reclaim some of my money I've spent and put that into other things I wanna do before I die, I'd be lazy and foolish not to.

DeanWinchester
10-02-2013, 10:38 AM
I've also been giving my Lee handpress and good look over. I think y'all are right, that's the way to go. I think I'll buy a second one and run with it.
I'm by no means getting rid of my bench presses.....yet, but I want to be prepared.

.....now, to find a suitable vessel to house everything.

jmort
10-02-2013, 10:57 AM
"Dust on stuff I bought with delusions of grandeur and greatness. Meanwhile I'm shooting the same loads over and over."

That sure rings true for me. I've sold off most of it. Aside from the obvious, I like a good book and good gun/load. After using the hand loaders (Lee Breechlock Hand Press and Lee Loaders and Lanes 12 gauge loaders) I sold/traded my bench mounted presses. To each his own. I enjoy the "hands-on" approach. Love the simplicity. I am simplifying as well. 9 mm, .38/.357, .308, and 12 gauge. Three powders, Unique, Blue Dot, and 4759. May add Varget or 4895. Regardless, the older I get, the more "stuff" feels like it is choking me. I like going to estate sales, but every time I think, what good did all the "stuff" do for the deceased? Probably not much, for the majority of it.

texassako
10-02-2013, 11:53 AM
I guess since I was the only 310 tool voter I will explain my thinking. It is a little smaller package, they have M type expanders good for cast bullets, if you get an old pair of tongs the bullet sizer is built in for that caliber, and having those 2 sizes will let you load other .30 and .35 caliber cartridges in a pinch without extra dies if need be.

codgerville@zianet.com
10-02-2013, 12:13 PM
Same here, started in 1961 with a 310 & Tru-Line Jr. with dies for 38Spl. and300 Sav. Had a Colt Officer Model Match and a 722 Remington, and one of the old Pacific scales with the box of weights to set the scale. Lyman iron pot, Coleman stove, Lyman dipper, Lyman push-through bullet sizers, Ideal bullet lube, pound can of H4895, ( $1.50 ) can of Bullseye ($ 2.00 ), 357446 & 358432 molds. Was what I could afford, and had more fun with it than all the stuff I have now. Just sold some of my molds, and am going to post some other stuff as soon as I can sort through it. Have decided that simple is good.

Ben
10-02-2013, 07:45 PM
+1 or more to Wayne! Should you really decide to seriously reload rather than just have the capability in an emergency, you will appreciate the quality and utility of the Huntington Compact. I've tried the Lee and others, and there is no really logical stop between the Lee Loaders ("Whack-a-Mole") or the Lyman 310 Tool if you just need to load a few rounds occasionally as in for hunting, etc at the low end, and the ability to do some serious reloading with all the processes possible. This topic has been hashed and rehashed dozens of times, and the end result is always that in actual practice for SHTF situations or other survival considerations, it would be best to pack an equivalent weight and volume of loaded ammo (the best way to "store" your components! ;) ) but it is fun to speculate and if you really need or want to assemble such an outfit, by all means, have at it. I have done this on a more directed basis where I carry portable loading gear to the range for load development, etc, and I have gone to the 310 for a few "fun" loads and the Huntington for "serious" target work. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Froggie

PS To Ben: I too saw your set up when you posted it earlier, and it strikes me as a great exercise in design to answer the questions from the OP, and also serves to reinforce my contention about carrying loaded ammo if you are serious about having enough ammo available for survival or SHTF situations... Can you imagine how many boxes of 38s you could carry in that same case? Don't get me wrong, I like what you did, but it's a matter, to me at least, of how to best solve a supply problem. How many bullets and primers, and how much powder would you normally carry? How many loaded rounds would you ultimately be able to produce?

PS to Froggie,

I never made the portable kit with the intentions of fleeing Zombies or how best to deal with an Apocalypse .

I made the kit ( as I stated in the earlier post ) for my grandson who will probably never have a large reloading bench to work off of. Fleeing from danger and counting on this kit to provide ammo in an extreme emergency condition never crossed my mind.

Just for the record however, I also believe that in an extreme national emergency situation, that a heavy stash of loaded ammo will be much more useful than large quantities of reloading components which can take a considerable amount of time to produce any sizable amounts of ammo with a hand press.

He will have , when he is an adult, a :

( A ) 38 Spec. / 357 Mag. lever action rifle

( B ) and a 38 Spec. / 357 Mag. revolver that he will need ammo for after I'm dead and gone.

This kit will provide him that ammo and do the job VERY WELL. He can load on his kitchen table and when finished , put his tools back in the box, close the lid and slide everything back under his bed.

If he chooses at a later date in his life to graduate onto more sophisticated bench mounted reloading equipment to reload his ammo , that would be his prerogative at that point in time.

Ben

MBTcustom
10-02-2013, 11:28 PM
I'm a big fan of the Lee loaders here. They work just fine in lever guns, especially because after five loadings, you can usually make it back to your bench press to push the shoulder back. That's a lot of shooting.

Green Frog
10-07-2013, 10:04 AM
Sorry Ben, I didn't mean to do anything but provide useful information. :coffeecom I guess we all have been in a situation where a loading bench was not a possibility and still wanted to reload... your "loading bench in a suitcase" serves to perfectly fill the need for "kitchen table loading" or "motel room loading" as well as "apartment reloading" of course and would be great if needed that way.

However, when people start talking about carrying pliers to scrounge wheel weights off of cars, etc, I have to surmise that they are thinking of some sort of bug-out/survival scenario. I heartily subscribe to your ideas for the purposes intended, but would still maintain that this question is most frequently posed in terms of the latter purpose and as such I stand by my answer. That may be "thread drift" but it also is the likely direction of the topic's development if past events are any prediction of the future.

BTW, when doing some test firing of a reproduction single shot rifle so I could meet a deadline, I once loaded 38-55 cartridges in a motel room in Etna Green, IN, and I have loaded 32-40s on the line for classic rifle matches... those 310 tools do still work! I started with the Lee Hand Press for some in-the-field loading, but when the opportunity arose to get the Huntington unit found it to be superior in many ways for the applications to which I put it. With rifle calibers, at least, the idea of a good supply of components with just a few cases (20-50) makes sense. I put all of that in a 50 cal ammo can when needed. Just my experience, YMMV. 8-)

Froggie

Reg
10-08-2013, 09:49 PM
Skeeter Skelton had a really good article on this back many years ago. I think he used a Lyman nutcracker and all was in a small surplus musette bag.
If I were to update it, I would go for the Lee hand tool mainly because of the $110.00 difference.
You can buy a lot of powder and primers for that !!

rking22
10-08-2013, 10:12 PM
I just plain like loading on he whack-a-mole Lee loaders ,its slow pace and relaxed production rate suits my mood . Life is way too fast paced for me these days. I like my hobbies kinda oldschool. Besides ,sometimes hitting something helps!
Nuthing wrong with the hand press at all ,mine ain't going nowhere ,but I like the classic better for my uses. The dillon in 38 special anit going anywhere either , I ain' stupid ,just like to relax and slow down at times, my story and I'm stickin to it.

blueeyephil
10-12-2013, 11:21 PM
Skeeter Skelton had a really good article on this back many years ago. I think he used a Lyman nutcracker and all was in a small surplus musette bag.
If I were to update it, I would go for the Lee hand tool mainly because of the $110.00 difference.
You can buy a lot of powder and primers for that !!

I think I have the gun digest with that article. I've read it several times over the years. One of the main things about the article was picking out the caliber. He picked .357 since it could do anything in a handgun he needed. In a revolver could be loaded mild to heavy and you don't have to look for your brass. I think those arguments still apply for a bug out situation if you're in the country. I've always planned on putting together my kit. I've got the Lee hand press with the primer seater, a 10 lb pot and ladle, and molds. Just haven't taken the time to work up various loads and make dippers for them. Maybe someday.

geargnasher
10-13-2013, 06:31 PM
Lee hand press, simply because that's the only hand press I've used. It has enough nutz to do FL sizing if necessary and doesn't require a table or hammer to use. I would NOT use a whack-a-mole kit for any kind of production work, or depend on one for leverguns. Just my .02.

I put together a kitchen-table kit for my uncle that fit in a little canvas satchel about the size of a large purse that contained a .45 Colt Lee loader, scoop calibrated for 7.5 grains of Unique, a brick of primers inside a padded box, pound of powder, 1K sized/lubed boolits, Lee hand primer with #11 shell holder, primer pocket cleaner, and Lee hand trimmer and deburr tool. A 1-quart saucepan, mould, handles, container of lube, and ladle could have been added, too.

If I'd been making the kit with a hand press, I could have included the press priming mechanism, boolit sizing die, and a bottle of liquid Alox and been able to do gas-checked rifle boolits as well.

Gear

Artful
10-13-2013, 06:57 PM
I use a Huntington W hand press but I would have not problem using a Lee hand press - advantage is you can use all the regular dies you use in your regular press and can full length resize unlike a nutcracker.

Green Frog
10-15-2013, 12:41 PM
A couple of additional observations...
1) I'm at a bit of a disadvantage when using the "whack-a-mole" method as I frequently load at night in a campground or motel room. The sound of hammering has brought angry comments from my neighbors! :twisted:
2) Having used both the Lee Hand Press and the Huntington, I prefer the latter by a lot! I already had the Lee and had been using it for almost a year when I got the chance to buy the Huntington at a favorable rate. As soon as I had the opportunity to do a test run with the Huntington, the Lee was immediately traded. Just my experience, YMMV. 8-)
3) Obviously, I have thought about and acted upon the concept(a lot) so this isn't just idle speculation... "been there, done that" and have a pretty good idea what actually works. I really like Ben's idea if one is going to do a medium large amount of "kitchen table" (or apartment, or hotel room, or campground) reloading. :coffeecom
4) I still submit that if it is your goal to be ready for a disaster type event, the best way to "store" a significant amount of reloading components for such "SHTF" situations is as assembled rounds packed tightly in boxes. JMHO, YMMV! :D

Froggie

barrabruce
10-20-2013, 07:53 AM
Well I use my whack a mole in the press like a arbor press..no noise.

But I do a lot of depriming with a deprimer made out of a pair of pliars and use a single old lee hand primer to seat primers.
I use an old shell ground down with a push rod to seat my bullets shutezn style and use a powder measure to load the cases.
I have on hand all the other bits but do mostly don't need any at the range.

Another style
I use a small pipe cutter to ring my unsized brass so as the bullet can seat down on it and load it so the the ring and the nose are engraved with the bullet when chambered.

O.K. it fits into a spectacle case I only need powder primers and cleaners and a bit of Dacron and a case or two.

Not what you are looking for but I shoot a single 30-30 try to emulate the shutzen sort of thing.
Works good enough for me and I have a ball.

Of cause I use a lee whackem set and can load cases and have a full legth sizer vice type a overall length cutter primer pocket cleaner and chamber tool.

cleaner rags brushes etc etc all go in a ammo tin.

I just need a arbor press of some sort for the whackem dies and I'd be set.
Or one of the hand presses.

For shtf I'd hope I'd have enough primers powder lead etc. But be probably too busy to worry about things helping the neigbours out cleaning up the mess and getting on with it.

I hope I get to melt in the big flash of blast wave than to malinger with the survivors.
Barra

rdlange
10-24-2013, 08:22 PM
So I'm different. I like the 310 for years in several calibers, especially for de-prime and prime. Best with two handles. And the Lee Hand press for M dies and bullet sizing dies and occasionally whatever else is convenient if I don't have a 310 for it. Have Lee Loaders and a turret press and never use them. JMHO...

Lefty Red
10-26-2013, 09:17 PM
Hell, this is my everyday reloading kit! I could drop a few things and add some powder and bullets and it could be taken as is.

1Shirt
11-09-2013, 12:58 AM
Guess I am just an old fashion traditionalist! Started with a 310 tool, and if I were going to make a bug out reloading set up, it would be that with dies for 357, 30-30, and probably 223 (would also include sizeing dies). Would have a pound or two of 2400, 200 ea of appropriate size primers, and appropriate lee dippers. Would also have 100 blts. for each cal. and a single cav mold for each with a set of handles, 10 lb of lead in ingots, a small melting pot (lee) and a small lead dipper. Would all fit in a standard brief case. That said, at my age, have no intention in bugging out, so this is just my thoughts on the subject.
1Shirt!

Green Frog
11-09-2013, 10:31 PM
Hey 1Shirt, they need to learn not to p1$$ off us old guys. We're too old and tired to run so we'll just hunker down where we are and shoot 'em! ;)

Froggie

CastingFool
11-16-2013, 03:08 PM
A while back, I picked up a Lee hand press in a trade. I couldn't see the need for another press, I traded it off to someone else. I'm almost beginning to regret it, but trading it yielded a very good supply of Bullseye.

singleshot
11-16-2013, 06:15 PM
I like and use the whack-a-mole kit! It's the smallest, lightest kit out there, and it's what I take when hunting! Therefore, I picked it. If you alternate plinking loads with full power loads in a case, you never have to "reset" the shoulders! :-)

OTOH, I really like my Lee hand press! Convenient little bugger.

EDIT: I forgot to mention, when I take my Ruger 77/44 and my Lee whack-a-mole kit, I NEVER have to worry about the placement of the shoulders. ;)

Texantothecore
11-21-2013, 01:20 AM
I use the Lee Classic Loader as well as a Lee hand press and they both work beautifully.

My reloading kit fits in an ammo box as I never have time to reload at home and usually end up reloading at the range.

If you only shoot one type of round it is more efficient to carry finished ammo but if you, like me, shoot different rounds at different speeds depending on what type of hunting you are doing, the portable reloading kit makes more sense.

RogerDat
11-26-2013, 09:06 PM
I'm a rookie at reloading but for what it's worth... If the purpose is to provide offspring with a simple to use reloading kit that is portable the Lee Loader with instructions seem the simplest for 38/357. If they already know how to use a press and won't have trouble figuring out which die does what and setting up the dies something more such as the hand press adds features or options to what they can do. Along with some weight. If casting equipment is included again they would need to know how to use it, and it would need to be basic. Tool to remove wheel weights seems out of place for anything but world war Z or a buried cache to deal with confiscation.

For SHTF I'm in the camp of plenty of ammo. You might want to share. When I headed down to Fla. for a family funeral right as a Hurricane was coming in I packed basic camping gear, rations, a side arm with 3 speed loaders plus 150 round as spares, long gun with 3 20 round loaded magazines and a 500 round sealed pack as spare. Did not take up much space, never needed to leave my trunk but if family or their friends had need I could have spared some. There have been a couple of bad hurricanes that left good chunks of Fla without organized law enforcement for awhile. Main path of hurricane missed them, slept inside their house so all that stuff became extra junk in the car for the trip. Best outcome as far as I was concerned.

charliek
01-01-2014, 07:09 AM
What is the date of that article?

flintsghost
01-07-2014, 01:51 AM
I started out with a Lee Loader years ago. I then went to a rockchucker when my wife gave me one for christmas. Over the 45 years since I've loaded some on a 310 tool and I even loaded some on an old hunting die specialties hand press. Either could be handy at the range for a load development exercise but both are a lot of trouble to use. Especially if you have other bench mounted tools at home and have grown somewhat lazy as I have.

W.R.Buchanan
01-07-2014, 04:29 PM
When Ben posted his thread on this subject a year or so ago I got ll worked up and decided to assemble all my stuff into one box.

I had a Craftsman Plastic tool box that I had been carrying around for years that was just begging to be used so I got it out and cleaned it up.

I already had the Lee Hand Press so that's in there along with my old first gen Lee priming tool along with another one that I bought for $5 that had a bunch of shell holders with it. Also a case mouth deburring tool and a few other doodads. It also has my Pacific scale.

There is enough space left for a die box, and a few supplies.

The beauty of this setup is that all of your stuff is in one box and all you have to do to go to the range is pick out which dies you're going to need and some boolits powder and primers.

If I needed to be completely self sufficient for a long period of time I would bring along some casting stuff too as well as some extra lead ingots.

This would require a bigger box!

I have a little 5lb lead pot made by RCBS which can sit on a fire or my Coleman backpacking stove and melt lead in 10-15 minutes. I have cast a lot of Boolits that way. If you simply keep the pot full when it is cooled you always have 5lb of lead ready to go and that would make a lot of boolits.(175ea@200gr) I have one of "the Perfessors" push thru sizing die adapters so I can size boolits with the Lee Hand Press using Lyman dies. Lubing boolits can be done with paste wax and your fingers if you're in a pinch.

Lots of ways to go here and you are only limited by your imagination and your pocket book. However this stuff is considerably cheaper than a lot of other reloading equipment so you also get a lot of bang for your buck.

If I had to downsize to a tent or small cabin or God forbid, an apartment,,, I could certainly do everything I needed to keep my guns fed, and by that I mean pretty much all of my guns. I would defiantly need a few more boxes but everything would still fit in my pickup.

Randy

Outpost75
01-07-2014, 04:52 PM
In case you missed it in the Fouling Shot, here is an interesting article posted here through the kind permission of Ed Harris

“Reloading Out of Frank’s Ditty Bag”

Frank Marshall spent many pleasant afternoons plinking with his .30-30 Savage 340 or Winchester 94 rifles as he reloaded rounds at the range with his Ideal Tong Tool. Lyman’s 310 tool was THE portable reloading outfit of choice at the range or deer camp into the 1960s.

The original Ideal tong tool, patented March 11, 1884 had dies machined integral with its steel handles. The early tools featured a single-cavity bullet mold on the end and a bullet-sizer hole through the tool handle. Ideal’s No. 1 was adapted to pistol cartridges from .32 S&W through .41 Long Colt. The No. 4 was for longer cartridges from .25-20 through .44-40 and .45 Colt. The No. 6 tool was a rifle tool for .32-40 through .50-110 Winchester. Before WWI these sold for $2.25 to $3.00, depending upon caliber.

After World War II today’s familiar threaded-handle design with removable die sets was adopted and designated as the Model 310 tool. The Tru-Line Junior turret press used the same dies, which were available for most then-popular calibers. According to http://the310shop.com/ boxed sets with steel handles were sold from 1947 to 1957 under the name “Lyman Ideal”. Aluminum handles were introduced in 1958 and sold into the early 1970s. The 310 was reintroduced when Cowboy Shooting became popular.

Lyman’s Kake Cutter was a simple, threaded push-through, cast bullet sizer for the 310 tool. When pan-lubing bullets, the Kake-Cutter was used to pop bullets out of a block of solid lube poured around the bullets and allowed to solidify in a cake pan. These gadgets and the 310 tool are what Frank Marshall taught me and my school mates to use as kids in the 1960s, but I never owned one until recently. Now that I am retired and having time to tinker, I asked around and found me a steel tool set in .30-30 and am enjoying childhood memories and sharing the nostalgic experience.

Lyman "tong tools" and die sets frequently emerge from estate sales, yard sales and can be found at gun shows or on the internet. If you want to experience the nostalgia in loading for Dad’s WWII bring-back in .30-'06, 8mm Mauser, 7.7 Jap, .303 British, those dies are most common IF you know what to look for. Tong tool dies are not marked by caliber, but are identified by their part number. So, unless you locate a boxed set, you must research the compatible die parts in an old catalog and search gun shows to assemble your kit. This may require lapping out a “muzzle resizer” to best fit your particular brass and bullet. An assortment of diameter muzzle resizers for .30-30, .30-40, .30-’06 and .303 British is handy.

Neck size dies can sometimes be used to improvise in loading similar rounds of the same nominal caliber and head dimensions. The .250 Savage and .257 Roberts dies can be adapted to each other, and the Roberts dies work on .25-06. A .32 S&W die set can load .32 ACP, .32 H&R Magnum, .32-20 etc. The .30-40 Krag and .303 British dies each will load the other. There may be other possibilities.

Today’s Lyman 310 tool has aluminum handles, machined from a die casting, with dies being offered today only in the popular “Cowboy” calibers. http://www.lymanproducts.com/lyman/dies/lyman-310-tool.php

The 310 Shop http://the310shop.com/ offers new dies and handles as well as complete sets in most traditional and modern calibers, including many which were never available in from Lyman. A link with practical information on using the 310 tool is http://www.lasc.us/Brennan_Lyman310Tool.htm
Lyman never produced carbide sizer dies for its tong tool. Because they only neck-size, you must use cases originally fired in your gun, unless you full-length size range pickup brass on another press first. When using plain steel dies, fired cases must be clean and well lubricated to avoid grit scratching the dies or your brass.

Mechanical advantage and extraction power of the tong tool is also very limited. While you can brute-force an over-expanded empty into a 310 tool, you probably won’t get it out, because the extractor hook will jump off the rim and the handles don’t have enough mechanical advantage to either force the case in or to pull it out! A shooting buddy from high school days recalled reloading for a .44 magnum M29, that to use the 310 without excessive cursing, it was important to load revolver cartridges conservatively. Five chambers in that M29 kicked out empties which worked fine with the 310 tool, but chamber number 6 was one which had survived an overload a mutual friend, the previous owner, used to demonstrate what Elmer’s real .44 load should be! The inability to drag stuck cases out of the muzzle resizer is why it is critical to clean brass well (both inside and out!) to avoid introducing grit which WILL make cases stick in the muzzle resizer or on the expander plug! And, don’t eat fried chicken while priming with the 310, because you are handling the primers with your fingers! Don’t ask me how I know… It is important to clean primer pockets because the priming chamber engages only half of the case rim at a time, so you must push, then rotate the case and squeeze again to seat the primer so it is fully bottomed, flush and square.

Back in the day it was common to "dip measure" powder when using the tong tool. As long as you know that your charge cup and powder combination produces a safe and useable load, this is OK. The Lee dipper set and charge tables are recommended these days. For my nostalgia trip I soldered up some home-brew charge cups from empty cartridge cases and copper wire and weighed some samples. The results are fascinating!
A dip measure made from an empty .22 LR case throws about 3 grains of Bullseye. This is a safe load for a .32-20 revolver, .32 H&R Magnum or .38 Special with standard-weight lead bullet for the caliber. It also works well to improvise "cat's sneeze" loads with single-0 buckshot in almost any .30 cal. rifle case.

A measure made from a .32 ACP case throws 6 grains of Bullseye, a full charge load for modern cowboy revolvers and lever-actions chambered in .44-40 and .45 Colt, and a nice plinker in the .44 Magnum. It also makes a great small game load with 110-120 grain cast bullets in .30 cal. rifles of .30-30 size and up.

A .32 S&W Long case throws 11.5 grains of #2400, a useful “medium-velocity” load with standard-weight lead bullets in the .357 Magnum. It is also fine for soft, plain-based bullets in the .30-30, .32 Winchester Special, .32-40, .30-40, 7.62x54R, 7.7 Jap, 7.65 Argentine or .303 British.

A 7.62x25 Tokarev case throws 14.5 grs. of #2400, a full charge .357 Magnum load and mild gas checked bullet plinker in any .30 cal. from 7.62x39 to .30-’06.

A .38 Special case throws about 21 grains of #2400, a full charge load for the .44 Magnum revolver, or a useful jacketed bullet or gas-checked cast-bullet plinker in the 7.62x54R, 8mm Mauser or .30-’06.

A 7.62x39 case throws 29 grains of RL-7, which is a full charge load with 150-grain jacketed bullets in the .30-30. This also makes a good heavy hunting load with gas-checked bullets in any .30 cal. Rifle from the .30-40 Krag through the .30-06. It also throws 28 grs. of IMR4064, which is a full-charge, gas-checked load using the #31141 bullet in the .30-30, and a good target load with gaschecks in any .30 caliber from the Krag up through the .30-’06.

Better than the tong tool, more versatile and highly recommended for modern users, not into the fire-side cowboy nostalgia, is the Lee hand Press, described here:

http://www.cabelas.com/presses-dies-lee-hand-press-reloading-kit-3.shtml
http://www.ehow.com/how_7622520_use-lee-hand-press.html
You-Tube demo here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6IoNCtFHwU

The Lee hand press uses standard 7/8-14 threaded dies and common shell holders, so that you can use dies which you already have. I recommend carbide dies in pistol and revolver calibers, whenever possible. The Lee tool has ample leverage to full-length resize pistol cases and smaller rifle cases. The 9mm, .45 ACP, .357 magnum, 5.56mm or 7.62x39 brass size relatively easily. While .30-'06 brass fired from an M1 can also be resized on the Lee hand press, doing so takes significantly more effort. However, the Lee hand press is an affordable starter-outfit, well designed for its task.
A complete portable kit with dies, primers, powder, bullets, small loading block, etc., store easily in a .30 cal. ammo can, or in Frank’s old WWII GI gas mask bag, thrown over the shoulder or attached with a snap-link onto your wilderness ruck. Frank will forgive your buying the Lee hand press and passing up that 310 tong tool at the gun show. He felt it a shame Lyman never made .223 Remington or 7.62x39 dies for it... In his later days “Bill Ruger’s Plinker” and the “Chinese Hurdy Gurdy” did strike his fancy.

Another approach for reloading “out of the box,” is to use a small arbor press with hand dies, such as those made by L.E. Wilson. This method is most popular with bench-rest competitors, using bolt-action rifles, neck-sizing, match-prepped brass for one rifle only. Setting up for a precision rifle this way is practical, but more expensive than using the Lee outfit. Descriptions and how-to articles of arbor press equipment are at:

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=37764/Product/Sinclair-Arbor-Press
http://blog.sinclairintl.com/2011/12/29/sinclairwilson-hand-dies/ http://www.shooters-supply.com/using_wilson_dies.html
http://www.shooters-supply.com/reloading_equipment.html#wilson

Green Frog
01-09-2014, 12:06 AM
Super post Outpost75 and thanks for relaying Ed Harris' great article. As an old 310 tool aficionado I would agree with about all except the statement "...Lyman never made .223 Remington or 7.62x39 dies for it..." Although there was never a set made with those markings (to my knowledge) since they are neck size only dies, you could use 222 Rem dies for 223, and probably 308 Win (7.62 NATO) to do the 7.62X39. Probably the most common dies out there for the 310 tool are those for the 30-06, and they might work as well. I would suggest that with a little imaginative finagling one could load just about anything from 45-70 down on the 310 tool. BTW, looking at the poll, I see we 310-ophiles are in the minority, which just goes to show that the majority is not always right! :bigsmyl2:

Froggie

Outpost75
01-09-2014, 12:13 AM
.300 Savage works for 7.62x39 if you shorten the die bodies a bit.

Green Frog
01-09-2014, 12:19 AM
Oh yeah, I went back to the lists, and it looks like you'd be able to use a #3 shell holder/priming chamber to do the 7.62X39. If I were building a 7.62X39 upper for my AR instead of a 300 BO I might try that... in fact, I could probably cobble together a 300 BO set with a little thought. I do have a set of purple iron handles in .222 sitting unused in the basement along with a lot of odd 30 cal stuff and a priming chamber die for a 222. HMMMMM :Bright idea:

Froggie

Juan Jose
01-14-2014, 12:22 AM
I like my Lee Hand Loader, but the annoying thing about it is when de priming. I have to take off the shell holder and shake the spent primers out all too frequently---the ram just doesn't hold that much, maybe 10 or 15 LPPs before jamming up and making removing of the shell holder a pita. For small lots, no biggie but if you want load a box of 50, don't forget to empty out the ram more often than you'd think and it's a piece of cake. If you've got the space in your box, a de capping pin and base would be a nice upgrade IMHO.

gunoil
02-02-2014, 08:21 PM
Hehehe, yea. Below is how i started loading my 380acp:
http://i1113.photobucket.com/albums/k511/putt2012/af38ff51.jpg

jmort
02-02-2014, 08:30 PM
One of my favorite threads. Love my hand presses.

DeanWinchester
02-02-2014, 09:03 PM
Funny, since starting this thread, I've taken to using my hand presses more and more.

geargnasher
02-02-2014, 11:33 PM
Heck yeah, Gunoil, that's the way to roll if you're tight on money and space. That Lee hand press totally eliminates the need for a bench and isn't all that slow, either. I use mine at the range and sometimes, when I'm feeling lazy, I do prep operations with it sitting in my recliner. If I had one of those neato Dillon electric case trimmers I might just use it with the hand press while kicked back watching TV.

Gear

xman777
02-03-2014, 03:36 PM
Heck yeah, Gunoil, that's the way to roll if you're tight on money and space. That Lee hand press totally eliminates the need for a bench and isn't all that slow, either. I use mine at the range and sometimes, when I'm feeling lazy, I do prep operations with it sitting in my recliner. If I had one of those neato Dillon electric case trimmers I might just use it with the hand press while kicked back watching TV.

Gear

This is exactly how I trim when I don't want to do it on the bench or I don't feel like uber prepping my plinking brass.

Wilson
02-13-2014, 09:01 PM
This thread inspired me to get a Lee hand press. I've got six other presses, but I think I'm going to like this one too!
I didn't order the priming unit with it, so I'm waiting for that to come in.
Those of you with the Lee hand press, do you use the priming unit? Or do you prime with another priming tool?

DeanWinchester
02-13-2014, 09:17 PM
I actually DO use the primer. Not for volume mind you, but you get a lot of leverage and a lot of control over it. I get the same feel as my hand primer but its a lot more rigid.

vacek
02-13-2014, 10:26 PM
The primer for the hand press works quite well. It has a good feel to it. I enjoy the hand press, Lee Loaders, the Lyman Resizing Dies and I really like the old Wilson Full Length resizing dies. It's all very relaxing and fun!!!

jmort
02-13-2014, 10:35 PM
The Ram Prime works real good with the Lee Hand Press. Simple, inexpensive, and excellent "feel."
$10.00 and well worth it.
http://www.titanreloading.com/priming-tools-and-shell-holders/ram-prime

W.R.Buchanan
02-16-2014, 03:37 PM
Outpost 75: Thanks for posting that article. It was very informative and I enjoyed the hell out of it.

I really like it when people post this type of stuff on the forum. It makes us all smarter, Er,,, at least I think it does?

Randy

hickfu
03-02-2014, 10:44 PM
I voted for the Lee Breech Lock Hand Press... I have one and it goes well with my BL bench press. I can take my dies right from the BL on the bench and go to the range with them and the hand press.

Now if this thread was a SHTF scenario and I was only able to carry 1 rifle, primers, powder, and projectiles.... I think I would go with the lee loader because its smaller, light weight and easy to store away until needed... put it in its box and into your jacket pocket.

Doc

SSGOldfart
03-11-2014, 09:31 AM
I saw the dipper and knew it was Ben's before reading the post I'm a fan of the Old 310 tool myself

Pavogrande
03-24-2014, 12:25 AM
Missed this the first go round -- added my vote for the tong tool -
My first venture into reloading in 1957 was a 25/20 tool, ink pad with ch lube,
pacific scale, some homemade dippers and a rag moistened with lighter fluid
to wipe down the finished cartridge -- And components of course --
Still using it !!
I have a lee hand press and find it OK but not quite as easy to manipulate -
Age may be a factor here :-)

44 mag nut
12-08-2014, 12:08 AM
Funny I started reading this and foundmyself looking for my Lee loader dies. I do not know how many hours Ispent at the range loading with the Lee loader shooting with one or 2peaces of brass developing loads. Personally, I have not see the 310and I have not used the Lee hand press. I think the most fun at therange has been with my Lee loader and shooting nice groups. Maybe itis time to get them back out and start looking for a few more setsthat I do not have.

Thank you for the trip down memorylane.

Certaindeaf
01-17-2015, 01:36 PM
I started my career with the Lee Loader in 9mm Luger pushing 40 years ago (Hi-Power).
I sold that one but have a few still.. some brand new/never used. Were I to do it again, not that they had the Lee hand press back then, I'd go with the hand press and getting one is on my short list.. quick bushing or not.
You can actually "bang 'em out" (lol) pretty fast with the Lee Loader.

nitro-express
02-06-2015, 09:19 PM

The 308 would be easiest. Neck sizing for a bolt gun ONLY. BUT, the 35 is for a lever gun and neck sizing only may not be the best idea.

I put this kit together for 30-30. 35 Rem is fine with just neck sizing, providing you use cases that have been fired in your rifle. I have a 336 and for my cast loads, I prefer to just neck size. 310 and tong tool is different, have one but I'm not sure that I would say that I like it. Minuses are price, and too many parts. Pluses are it has a far superior priming system. Nothing beats a real press, and the LEE hand press is not a real press. It works OK, I modified it to spit the primers out instead of storing them, and then I sold it. Sold the 30-30 kit as well.

It's probably better to horde ammo.

MT Chambers
02-25-2015, 12:58 AM
I like the 310 tool, one of mine is the older style, made of steel, I esp. like it for priming/depriming and my choice if I was required to reload in the field, it won't break.

Green Frog
02-25-2015, 11:54 AM
I like the 310 tool, one of mine is the older style, made of steel, I esp. like it for priming/depriming and my choice if I was required to reload in the field, it won't break.

I liked my steel handled 310 tools so much that I made a concentrated effort to acquire one each of the transitional interchangeable steel handles (L & S) for the calibers for which I lack the dedicated handles. It may just be an affection or my imagination, but they just seem "right" to me. :mrgreen: I'd still be willing to take a couple more of the dedicated handles in calibers I load most often. Just sayin'. ;)

Froggie

MT Chambers
02-27-2015, 03:12 PM
I'm not a fan of the new, cheapo alum. or pot metal ones, those older steel ones would last forever.(310 handles)

Green Frog
02-28-2015, 05:58 PM
I'm not a fan of the new, cheapo alum. or pot metal ones, those older steel ones would last forever.(310 handles)

Really, I'm just being a bit snobbish when insisting on steel handles. Truth to tell, I've only seen a couple of broken aluminum handles ever and it could be argued they had been abused and overstressed...

but I'm holding on to my steel handles! :mrgreen:

Froggie

FSR
05-18-2015, 02:14 PM
I started reloading with the .310 tools and the Lee whack a mole. I was 10 years old and my Dad made sure I learned the importance of precision work. When I was 18 a friend of mine and I had an apartment and I was able to add a hand press for full length resizing. At the time all was loading was 30-06 and .303 British. For casting I had a Coleman propane camp stove a plumbers pot and Lyman ladle and a Lyman 311466 bullet mold. I have been thinking of downsizing some of the stuff my Dad left me when he died.

.22-10-45
05-19-2015, 01:11 AM
Froggie..I too like the steel ones..though I prefer the older nickled Ideal ones!

FSR
05-20-2015, 01:46 PM
This thread has got me thinking. A kit that I can carry to the range will greatly expand my ability to test new loads and weapons. I have nice wood box that I used to store my reloading tools in when I lived in and apartment. I also have a hip roof tool box that would work nice. I will start a new thread and attempt to document my progress.

9w1911
05-21-2015, 02:53 PM
I want a portable kit, but I want more of a substantial press like a RCrusher etc.

Green Frog
05-21-2015, 06:35 PM
I want a portable kit, but I want more of a substantial press like a RCrusher etc.

If you go through this thread, you will find discussion of the HDS Compac Press™ that may be the best combination of substantial and portable. That's the one I'm using and it has the benefit of using standard RCBS pattern shell holders and 7/8 x 14 dies. MSRP is not really bad, but if you find a used one at a gun show or whatever, they can become downright reasonable.

Froggie

Froggie

jmort
05-21-2015, 06:42 PM
Looks like Huntington quit selling them. They were listed as out of stock for a while and now gone. Too bad.

country gent
05-21-2015, 09:48 PM
I do load work ups at the range occassionally. Just a simple luttle lee c-frame powder measure and scales along with appropriate seating die. I take brass fully prepped and primed readu to drop charges and seat bullets. This way all you need to do at the range is charge seat and possibly crimp. This saves alot of time at the range. 100 or so cases goes a long ways to working up a load.

Green Frog
05-22-2015, 11:14 AM
Looks like Huntington quit selling them. They were listed as out of stock for a while and now gone. Too bad.

That is a real shame and a loss to the shooting community. This press is the closest I have found to a bench-type press that could be packed away and carried to the range in a handy way. I'm happy that I got mine when I did and am not like to let it get away. :mrgreen:

Froggie

Outpost75
08-09-2015, 09:58 PM
I love my Hunting Compact. Before that I had an original Harold Decker hand press which I gave to Huntington to encourage them to make it after Harold died. I never got the Decker press back, but Huntington sent me a new press and has been generous in other ways so that I have no complaints.

I have Ideal tong tool set ups for the calibers I shoot most, steel handles in all the sizes and a set of modern aluminum handles with a full set of guide bushings. I've also had several sets of custom dies made for calibers Lyman never made, such as the .35/.30-30. I love the tong tools and keep them in the hunting camp.

BUT for the fellow starting out today, buying off the shelf hardware, the Lee Hand Press does it. I love mine and that is what I take to the range for load development. It is the "best buy" in starter reloading kit.

rockrat
09-10-2015, 12:57 PM
I have taken a reloading kit to IHMSA matches before. Had a Lee hand press, but I also had a 310 tool for priming and bullet seating. A Lil Dandy powder measure in where the rotors were modified so that maybe throwing a powder charge twice would equal the load I used in that cartridge. All fit in a 50 cal can. You can fit alot in a 50 cal can.

Landy
10-19-2015, 07:24 AM
Hello, I found 'Cast Boolits' via Junior's (He had a most enjoyable writing style.) 'The Frugal Outdoorsman' and I'm assembling my version of his kit in his article 'Campfire Bullet Casting and Loading.'

http://www.castbullet.com/reload/campcast.htm

I read Skeeter back in the day too, and have long kept that much of a portable ammo factory - Lee Hand Press and dies, though.

I've been loading rifle since my teens, but I've just begun with handgun. Handgun, I think, is better suited to portable loading: no lube, smaller components, and with the Lee Speed Die that I just got - less dies.

Casting, if not cast bullets, is going to be new to me too. In my lurking here I've decided that 45ACP is my best candidate as a cast 'training wheels' round.

I don't know why, but this portable loading kit idea has really caught my interest.

BTW: Does anyone know anything about the Pacific Pak-it? The little that I've learned is that it was Pacific's sort of screw powered Lee Loader.

W.R.Buchanan
12-03-2015, 12:28 AM
I recently found a better tool box for my kit,,, except it's a Bag! An LA Police Gear Bug Out Bag to be specific.

http://www.lapolicegear.com/tabaoutbag.html

Been a big proponent of tool bags for my shooting accessories for some time now. I like the Lowes, or Home Depot ones or even the Harbor Freight ones. They are cheap and work well for containing your range stuff. I refuse to pay $80 for a "Range Bag" when a $12 tool bag has lasted for 15 years already!

This bag comes in 4 colors and is usually $19.95. I have 4-5 of them that I use for various things like My Shotgun Bag that has all my Shotgun Shooting stuff in it so I can just grab and go. Same with Tactical Stuff for my Three Gun Shoots. I have other bags for my pistols, and usually when I go to the range I'll have a Rifle, a bag with all my general tools and Ammo for the day, and another bag with my backup pistol that also has my ear muffs and glasses. I always take a Pistol to the range just in case.

This bag is long enough for my Lee Hand Press in its box (very important to keep your stuff in original boxes if possible.) The big pocket inside has a divider lengthwise and the Hand Press fits perfectly on one side. A box of dies fits the other side, in fact you could easily have 3-4 sets of dies in that pocket, for Bug Out Purposes.

My Digital scale goes in one of the side pockets along with my ancient Lee Hand Priming tool which still works just fine.

There are two pockets on the ends that are meant for Water Bottles, however they are also just the right size for Bottles of Powder. Plenty of other pockets for various sundry tools and components.

I think I've finally found the ideal solution for containing my "Portable Kit." It's a damn site better than the Plastic Craftsman Toolbox I had been using that allowed stuff to slide around and bang into each other.

Here's pics.

Randy

Green Frog
12-03-2015, 09:53 AM
Very nice, Randy. I too am a strong believer in a complete package for each discipline, and do so well with it that I'm spoiled... which is a small problem if I take something out and forget to return it to the bag before my next trip to the range! I've got a couple of those good canvas tool bags, so I'll have to investigate that application for them.

Froggie

W.R.Buchanan
12-04-2015, 04:16 PM
Froggie: I edited in the link to the Bug out Bag at the LAPG Website in my above post. It will be of interest to a lot of us since they have virtually everything "Tactical" known to man. I have bought a lot of clothing and other accessory items from them and it's all good quality stuff.

I would encourage anyone who reads this and doesn't already know about LA Police Gear to visit their website and have a look around.

http://www.lapolicegear.com/

Randy

Landy
12-04-2015, 05:23 PM
That bag looks like a great choice.

I've been using a video camera bag. I like the multiple padded compartments to protect my scale and chronograph, but it's unneeded weight and bulk for all of the other loading tools that are quite rugged.

W.R.Buchanan
01-07-2018, 02:34 PM
Some how this thread keeps popping up. I do need to update my Portable Kit and really this thread needs to have another polling option. IE: BPM Hand Press? Since so many here have purchased them from me.

My kit now resides in a Cabela's Small Duffle Bag, slightly larger than the excellent LAPG Bags previously used. It is shaped differently and lends itself to holding my tool and accessories better.

Here's pics.

Randy

georgerkahn
01-07-2018, 08:23 PM
For what it's worth, I keep my Buchanan loader in the LAPG bag I purchased along with it. It keeps it clean and secure -- too precisely machined and engineered to risk mishandling. I purchased a relatively small plastic ammo-type box on "Clearance" at a near-by Gander Mountain store closing, and it is perfect to complement the tool. In it I have calipers, a C-clamp, notepad + pen, a few 'drivers, my Imperial sizing wax, dies, Sharpies (for case/load marking) and requisite powder, primers, plus -- of course :) -- bullets. The only down-fall to "my" system is I funnel powder into a smaller plastic container -- meticulously labeled -- but need return it to original bottle when done. That I could do just not having to move/return the powder would indeed be a plus. Albeit I used the word "meticulous", each and every addition from "the basics" -- e.g., in this case measuring directly from original powder container, adds the potential for error. To complement my Buchanan I employ an almost antique Redding scales -- old, but very accurate; small enough to fit on top in my box. My curiosity is piqued re what scale is used/packed in the Cabela bag?

W.R.Buchanan
01-09-2018, 04:19 PM
Geo: It is a little Franklin Arsenal Digital scale from Midway. I also have a Redding #1 beam scale I can put in with it.

Randy

georgerkahn
01-09-2018, 06:03 PM
Thanks, Randy, for scale you employ info. I'd wager my old Redding may be their #1 (???). I think I am too old, or too much of a scoff, to trust digital scales. I bought one a decade ago, and used a weight check set to make me warm and fuzzy of its accuracy -- neither of which occurred. I returned it, and was promptly sent a brand new replacement which was just as unreliable. That one went in trash... However, that YOU use one in itself gives credence and good testimony to its accuracy. (Technology surely has sped forward in very short time!)

MidwayUSA shows three Fr Ars digital scales, two of which are presently in stock. Is the "Frankford Arsenal DS-750 Electronic Powder Scale 750 Grain Capacity" scale the one you're using? For thirty bucks the price is right, and I may just check it out. HOWEVER: In the MidwayUSA description is written: "This is a good scale, keeps it's zero better than most electronic scales I've used. On the other hand - it's not a great scale... you can't trickle a charge - the scale doesn't change. You have to pick up the pan, trickle, and place it back down on the scale." This is definitely a feature I could do without -- albeit having my old balance in the bed of my (capped) pickup truck bed to keep wind affects down will be the way I'll still be weighing charges.

Thanks.
geo

W.R.Buchanan
01-10-2018, 06:55 PM
Geo: I trickle directly into mine, but you should understand these types of scales only have a resolution of +/-.1 gr so that really means a window of about .3 gr when you get to the tick over point on either side of nominal.

It is adequate for what I'm doing with .44 Special and Magnum Cartridges and .308's, .30-06's .303's and .45-70's, all of which really don't need hairsplitting accuracy in the charges. If I need to split hairs I use my 1010.

The press is a accurate as the dies you use it has nearly perfect strait line movement and the alignment between the die an the shell holder is also nearly perfect. Certainly within .001-2 TIR.

The relationship is in the 3 holes in the Top Plate and Slide. All 3 holes in each part are drilled in the same setup on a CNC Machining Center, so their relationship is nearly perfect. They are in a strait line and the distance between them is nearly exact and the same on both parts.

I say "nearly perfect," as perfect is not obtainable in a production setup there will be slight variations.

Randy

Green Frog
01-12-2018, 12:20 PM
Randy, l’m a little baffled by the acronyms... where did that neat little (flat) zipper pouch for your press come from? Although I already had one of the HDS Compac units before you went into production, I’m thinking that might be a good thing to replace the ratty old cardboard box that it came in. ;). BTW, I’m pleased to see your presses are proving so popular. Just goes to show if you give the people what they want... :D

Froggie

W.R.Buchanan
01-12-2018, 08:09 PM
Froggie: It's a Boyd's Pistol Case.

And You can buy one from me with the BPM press already installed in it.

Go directly to website listed below and place order.

Randy

Knightflyer
04-04-2018, 10:44 AM
Some how this thread keeps popping up. I do need to update my Portable Kit and really this thread needs to have another polling option. IE: BPM Hand Press? Since so many here have purchased them from me.

My kit now resides in a Cabela's Small Duffle Bag, slightly larger than the excellent LAPG Bags previously used. It is shaped differently and lends itself to holding my tool and accessories better.

Here's pics.

Randy

Neat tool and kit there Randy! I'd say this thread just rates as "general interest", since I'm sure the thought of taking enough stuff to the range to mess around with a load, shoot a few rounds, tweak it a little and shoot a few more has gone through a lot if not most of the heads on this forum. It certainly has mine. Although in my case, my thought was to reload my somewhat limited cases to simply do another round of plinking. :D

Last time I was out, I didn't actually do that, as it was too windy. Guess that's why I keep seeing all those wind-farms around here... I'm gonna have to get used to shooting in a cross-wind if I ever plan to hit a deer at range!

GT1
05-04-2018, 03:44 PM
I have thought of a rainy day kit several times over the last couple years. There could be a time when a person was caught out with no access to any conventional equipment. A Lee loader or two, custom sized powder dippers, a couple small bottles of powder, a flat of primers, a handful of bullets and cases. That would fit in a shaving kit size bag.

When I started loading I bought a Lee hand press, dies, scale, calipers. It all fit in a small leather tote that slid under the bed, I loaded at the kitchen table and that got me hooked. I still have that press. Hard to beat for the 45 bucks.

BrassMagnet
05-10-2018, 07:30 AM

I have a night vision goggle can that is essentially a 50 cal can only taller. I want to put together a kit that has EVERYTHING i need to load 35 remington and .308 winchester. Itll have two molds, two containers of gas checks, a container of lube, two lee boolit sizers and the appropriate dies.
My question,
In ya'll's opinion, would I be best served using standard dies and a Lee hand press, Lee loaders or Lyman 310 tools?

I know Id probably be better off just filling the can with loaded ammo but thats not my line of thinking.

I have some very cool metal tins that stack neat and tight in the can to store gas checks, lube and primers. My pet loads for both rifles use AA2015 so I only need one powder and one primer type.

One thing I have not begun to ponder is a heat source for casting. It would need to be fire based, not electric.
I also have a 20mm can that may be a better option as I intend to store a pair of wheel weight pliers in there. They actually have a rubber mallet on one end, unlike the typical metal ones. It can serve many uses like snagging wheel weights to cast with, a mold mallet, and they have a cutter built in that can be used for many things.

My reasoning is thus, not to bore you with the inconsequential details of my life, but things are such that I may have to move soon and that move would require trimming not only all the fat but a good deal of meat as well. Not a prospect I am enthused about, i tell ya.

Lyman Shell Sizers full length resize rifle brass when needed. They use a mallet. They are available in 35 Rem and 308.

Green Frog
05-10-2018, 11:35 AM
Hey Mr Magnet, you wouldn't happen to have one of the Lyman Shell Sizers in 44-40, would you? I've got dupes in such desirable calibers as 45 Colt, 32-40, 25-20 SS, and a couple of other neat ones if you wanna do a deal. :coffeecom

Froggie

PS Still no luck on 32 S&W dies... I know they're down there somewhere but I think Elvis Presley is keeping them hidden from Jimmy Hoffa so he can't sell them to Ambrose Bierce. :???:

W.R.Buchanan
05-26-2018, 01:39 PM
I thought I'd alert everyone on this thread that LAPG has their very popular "Bail Out Bags" in many different colors on sale this weekend for $21.99 !!! You simply can't beat that price for a product of this quality and utility,,, anywhere!!! Period!

5 stars over 1233 reviews is pretty hard to beat!

These bags and some of the best made tool holder type bags made and are very well thought out for shooters, and suitable for many uses, and I wouldn't hesitate throwing a bunch of tools in one and keeping it in my Jeep. They are a great solution for a Portable Reloading Kit.

Anyway here's a direct link to the product and they now have about 9 different colors so there is something for everyone. https://www.lapolicegear.com/tabaoutbag.html

I think I need a Red One for all my First Aid stuff.

Randy

W.R.Buchanan
05-27-2018, 08:34 PM
I just moved all my Portable Reloading Kit to one of the Jumbo Bail Out Bags and everything fit great with plenty of room for expansion. The Cabela's bag I was using just got stuffed too full and weighed too much for how it was constructed. The Jumbo Bag was big enough and strong enough to hold anything I could ever want to include.

This bag is about 22" long from end to end with the powder bottles in the end pockets.
I have my LNL Press with the Die HolderBlock and Clamp inside and other stuff dispersed thruout the numerous pockets. It weighs a little over 16 lbs. now and could easily double that if I started putting boxes of dies and bags of boolits inside.

The bag is strong enough that I could fill it up with lead shot and it would take it.

This is pretty good stuff guys, and for the price it is a Screamin' Deal. I'd at least have a look at the website.

Randy