PDA

View Full Version : Little score.......

Harter66
09-28-2013, 12:38 AM
My GF's aunt has been cleaning up . She found a half a 20mm ammo can of lead and thought I might I might be able to use some of it........
105 1# Lee's and about that many more halfs. Preportedly 15+ yo range scrap, the red/brown is rust from the open ammo can out side for the last 5yr or so.

Then she sprung a real trap. She showed me a 740 'parts' gun and a GEW 98' w/a Jeager trigger , missing it's bolt and bottom metal w/a heavy bbl of unk cartridge. She gave me first dibbs . I gotta keep this family.

elginrunner
09-28-2013, 08:04 AM
That's pretty cool, I suppose it will have to be smelted down again to remove rust and such??

Harter66
09-28-2013, 09:48 AM
Oh, I will sort it hard and soft. Since I laddle cast from open pots I'll probably just skim the trash off as I go. It should be a couple of yr before I get down to ''the complete unknowns'' in the stash,even if I never pulled another WW,lead seal,or pipe. Besides it all in those fancy little bricks all ready . I think most of it would wash off w/a wet brush and a bucket .

mold maker
09-28-2013, 10:29 AM
I'd just melt and flux with sawdust. The rust isn't a problem and you can reclaim lots of the lead oxides. Just be careful not to breath any of the dross dust.