PDA

View Full Version : The for sale section

hanleyfan
09-27-2013, 10:11 PM
How many of you guys monitor the for sale section all the time, I check it 3 or 4 times a day and I never get a chance at the good buys, every time some one posts a item as a big discount it is sold so fast it makes my head spin, most be a bunch of old retired guys sitting on the for sale section just waiting for a good buy to show up.

500MAG
09-27-2013, 10:16 PM
How many of you guys monitor the for sale section all the time, I check it 3 or 4 times a day and I never get a chance at the good buys, every time some one posts a item as a big discount it is sold so fast it makes my head spin, most be a bunch of old retired guys sitting on the for sale section just waiting for a good buy to show up.
You must have just missed a good one.

freebullet
09-27-2013, 10:18 PM
I check it regularly on my phone & still miss stuff I would have bought. As always the early bird...

jmort
09-27-2013, 10:38 PM
I win some and lose more often. Good deals last but a couple/few minutes.

Alvarez Kelly
09-27-2013, 11:10 PM
I buy all the good deals. :-)

waksupi
09-27-2013, 11:15 PM
We have considered routing all sales threads through staff for "approval", so we could get first crack at the goodies!

jmort
09-27-2013, 11:18 PM
^ That might come close to making up for the headaches induced by "moderating."

possom813
09-27-2013, 11:20 PM
We have considered routing all sales threads through staff for "approval", so we could get first crack at the goodies!

I still don't think you could beat BrassMagnet to most of them :kidding:

Bzcraig
09-27-2013, 11:25 PM
most be a bunch of old retired guys sitting on the for sale section just waiting for a good buy to show up.

Take it easy on the "old retired guys" stuff since that's a lot of guys here, I'm old just not retired.

Lead Fred
09-27-2013, 11:30 PM
I just figure if I get it, it was meant to be

Bad Water Bill
09-28-2013, 12:19 AM
Well I am OLD and long retired but still miss most of them.

Kindly remember this is a gun site.

The fastest trigger finger ALWAYS wins.:bigsmyl2:

375RUGER
09-28-2013, 12:33 AM
You're missing out on some good ones right now. There are usually a few hundred people on here at any one time.

starmac
09-28-2013, 01:16 AM
Lol I have missed stuff when checking every few minutes, There is a lot of members and all it takes is one checking at the right time. I have picked up a lot of good deals too or just some stuff I wanted, and I am far from retired. lol I have also had great success in the want to buy section for some of the harder to find stuff.

I have to say, so far every one that I have bought anything from (quite a few) has been great to deal with.

fryboy
09-28-2013, 06:31 AM
lolz @ "routing all sales threads through staff for "approval" "

i recall fishhawk stating once that he's managed a few good deals by running thru the older adds that havent been brought back to the top before they expire ,and i myself have sometimes started at the last page and worked forwards

end result timing is everything WHEN you have spare cash in hand that is ( and that seems to be in the shortest of supply lolz so if someone post extra money for cheap i'm calling dibs !!)

marlin39a
09-28-2013, 11:10 AM
I check in several times a day. I've only made a couple purchases. I do enjoy seeing the variety of items for sale.

RED333
09-28-2013, 11:17 AM
I just figure if I get it, it was meant to be
The very way I see it.

StratsMan
09-28-2013, 11:20 AM
This is why I prefer to sell using an auction format... let it run for 2 or 3 days, so everybody who wants a chance can put up a bid...

GRUMPA
09-28-2013, 11:22 AM
I check it when time allows actually, some days more than others. Most of them time I'll get what I consider a great deal only to use what I just got for some of the locals around here that don't have net service. Trust me out here in the sticks the LGS don't give discounts and they charge the same as if you ordered it yourself through one of the major retail outfits. I think I got a good deal on some 7mm mag stuff and I don't even own anything in 7mm mag, but the local it's intended for almost fell out of his chair when I let him know what it's going to cost him. Part of that helping others out that just can't do it on there own and could really benefit from a helping hand from someone that can.

Hogdaddy
09-28-2013, 11:43 AM
I'll Take It :kidding: Missed it by that much ; )
H/D

Ohio Rusty
09-28-2013, 11:52 AM
You have to check it about every 15 or 20 seconds ....I've seen posts of 'stuff', only to be sold just a couple minutes later. It's a matter of being in the right place at the right time.
I try to not depend on the for sale section for anything. If I want something, I'll try to locate the best price out on the 'net and buy it that way. I do peruse the for sale section, but usually things are long gone anyway by the time I get there. I'm only on the Internet a couple times a week anyway, and usually the chances of me getting something there is slim and none, and Slim left town ........... No big deal ...
Ohio Rusty ><>

mroliver77
09-28-2013, 11:55 AM
I too like running auction type sales. Matter of fact I have one coming up this week. ;) Well that is after Ric gets first crack at it! lol
J

fishhawk
09-28-2013, 12:01 PM
Well not much I can do about folks missing good deals, sorry about that guys. steve k S&S moderator

Alvarez Kelly
09-28-2013, 12:33 PM
I have used the Want to Buy section more lately. It has helped me find a few things I'm looking for. I still need a magazine for a S&W model 39 9mm... :-)

Artful
09-28-2013, 12:48 PM
Take it easy on the "old retired guys" stuff since that's a lot of guys here, I'm old just not retired.

I'm old and just Tired - I look couple of times a week - I have too much stuff now but keep lusting after more.

dagger dog
09-28-2013, 03:20 PM
Swapping and Selling, is my opening page on Castboolits.Gunloads.com.!

GOPHER SLAYER
09-28-2013, 03:34 PM
Once, on the for sale section I was able to get a very nice tang sight for my Pedersoli Sharps and within minutes my friend Jon k. was on the phone trying to buy it. I have sold some items there myself and I am amazed at how fast it can happen. I have sold items in less than a minute. The first time i listed something, it was five Lyman 45 sizers complete with your choice of die. I was buried. Be nice to Brass Magnet, he's a pretty good old dude.

starmac
09-28-2013, 04:41 PM
In all fairness to brass magnet (he has beaten me to the punch more than once) I see him giving a lot in the helping hands forum.

He can be quick on the trigger sometimes. lol

Alan in Vermont
09-29-2013, 11:20 AM
I have too much stuff now but keep lusting after more.

That doesn't make you a bad person.

Beagle333
09-29-2013, 11:45 AM
I have sometimes done better in the WTB section. It seems that sometimes folks have something they'd sell for a good deal, but just didn't think (or get the urge) to list it actively.

I like the WTS section, even the auctions, and have gotten several nice molds/deals there too. The only time I feel a little green is when someone posts several boxes of lead or a couple of lube-sizers, or bothers to break their brass up into 1000 piece lots, and the first post'er says "I'll take em all!'

But it don't mean I'm gonna stop visiting that section! ;):coffeecom

km101
09-29-2013, 12:07 PM
Yeah, there are a lot of us old retired guys who check the S&S section regularly. But since we ARE retired, most of us don't have any money with which to buy anything! :killingpc

762 shooter
09-29-2013, 12:08 PM
I found a good deal once before anyone bought it. I just figured something must have been wrong with the item.:violin:

montana_charlie
09-29-2013, 12:37 PM
I found a good deal once before anyone bought it.
I only check once a day.
Twice I came upon something I wanted before it sold. In both instances I PM'd for more information. In each instance the seller never answered my query, and sold to the first I'll-take-it while I was waiting to hear back from him.

CM