PDA

View Full Version : Recomend 1911 sights

bayjoe
09-27-2013, 07:58 PM
I picked up a Springfield 1911-A1 in 45 acp. It has novak target rear sight on it. The front sight is to low for the target sight. So I would like to purchase a plain factory style rear sight. What and where can I find one and is it very difficult to install the sight myself?

10-x
09-27-2013, 08:17 PM
King's sights, all you need is a front sight staking tool. JMHO.

country gent
09-27-2013, 08:29 PM
You need to check if the novack uses a special cut like the bomar does if so a factory rear sight may not work in it. A taller front would also zero the pistol. error" X sight radious" / range" will tell you how much taller it needs to be. The rear is either press fit into dovetail or locked in place with an set screw. The front is staked in place and a new would need to be staked in place also. Unless the front is also in a dovetail.

mroliver77
09-27-2013, 10:03 PM
You could do a JR and super glue a piece of red fiber optic rod (or whatever that stuff is) on top of the front sight. ;)

JeffinNZ
09-28-2013, 05:49 AM
Whatever your eyes like best.

daniel lawecki
09-28-2013, 08:31 AM
That front sight is dovetailed with a very small rollpin.You'll have a little fitting to do they make a sight tool I made my own.

mroliver77
09-28-2013, 01:13 PM
Depending on the amount of correction I have used a fine small file to calibrate the rear sight opening also. Did I mention I am a tight wad.?
J

mikeym1a
09-28-2013, 03:46 PM
Interesting thread. Yesterday, I noticed I could not differentiate between the flat black of the 75yd silhouette, and the flat black of my .45's issue sights. Guess I'll have to look at what's offered and see about something. Thanks guys. :D

mroliver77
09-28-2013, 04:36 PM
It happens with age! ;) Welcome to the club.

J

Interesting thread. Yesterday, I noticed I could not differentiate between the flat black of the 75yd silhouette, and the flat black of my .45's issue sights. Guess I'll have to look at what's offered and see about something. Thanks guys. :D

Jammersix
09-28-2013, 04:59 PM
King's sights, all you need is a front sight staking tool. JMHO.
He wants a rear sight.

Artful
09-28-2013, 06:00 PM

Little bit of paint is all ya need for that

waksupi
09-28-2013, 06:52 PM
All of my iron sighted firearms now sport a widened rear notch, so I have light on both sides of the front blade. Makes a heck of a difference.

mikeym1a
09-30-2013, 05:32 AM
I may try just that. Issue sights work well with the holster I use. A small punch, my son's younger eyes, and a bit of paint. That may well be the answer. Thanks!!

Artful
09-30-2013, 06:25 PM
Your welcome

- it's a cheap fix

- at one point I wanted an Ivory bead on a gun - found out the cost from my gunsmith and freaked - he said calm down - we visited his wife he borrowed a bottle of pearlized white nail polish - couple of coats later and I was a happy customer for a price that a poor college student could afford.

On one of my guns I have a conversion kit 22LR and 223 - they hit nowhere near the same place - on the sight it's got grooves cut horizontally on the back edge of the sight ramp - I put two colored lines one for 22LR and one for 223 now I don't have to mess with sight adjustment each time I go out to shoot.

lylejb
10-01-2013, 01:51 AM
It has novak

Novak uses the "novac cut".....fortunatly that's one of the more popular ones. midway has lots of them.

just try to find a rear adjustable site for a mil spec Colt, that's not so easy.