PDA

View Full Version : Best cast bullet design/weight for 38 spl. snubs with 2" barrel?

bedbugbilly
09-27-2013, 07:21 PM
I'm just starting to reload 38 specials and have a question. I haven't actually reloaded yet - getting my press set up this weekend. I currently have Lee molds for the 158 gr. SWC (tumble lube) and the 150 gr. round nose -while waiting on some equipment I have been able to cast up about 600 rounds of each.

I am only interested in loading up target loads and am wondering if there is a certain design/weight. of cast lead bullet that works best out of snubbies with 2" barrels?

I have a Smith Model 36 and a Ruger 357 LCR - I'm not really interested in shooting 357s, just the 3s spl. Normally, I plink/target shoot at anywhere from SD distances up to 25 yards.

I have a number of 38s/357s - 4", 5 1/2" and 6" barrels. The commercially loaded target ammo that I had been purchasing usually had the 158 gr. SWC - and, they seemed to work pretty well out of the snubbies. I'm just wondering if there is a suggestion on a lighter or different design cast bullet (besides the ones I currently have molds for) that works well in the shorter barrels? Prior to getting in to reloading, I pretty much shot what was available (when I could get it) and didn't worry about it. Now that I'm set up to reload, a $20 Lee mold is pretty cheap to allow for experimentation. For those that shoot snubbies - what have you found works best?

Thanks for any help and information - greatly appreciate it!

Scharfschuetze
09-27-2013, 07:42 PM
I think that either boolit should work well, but the final decision should come after seeing which shoots the tightest groups and which one shoots closest to the point of aim for your fixed sight revolvers. I think that I'd opt for the SWC design for general carry, but I shoot a similar RN design (Saeco) boolit too.

I think that I'd start with Bullseye, Tightgroup or WW231 powders, although any of the faster formulas should work well in the abbreviated barrels for plinking and just having fun.

Jeff Michel
09-27-2013, 08:14 PM
Check out the 105 grain SWC that Lee offers, 3.5 grains of BE and it's very accurate in everything I've ran it through.

HiVelocity
09-27-2013, 08:39 PM
Billy,

I would look around for "samples" from others around you that handload 38 Special. Personally, a 148gr wadcutter is a good start. Its accurate, out of almost any barrel length.

I have no use for a round nosed profile. Since you have the Lee 158gr SWC, I would stick with it, until you get the "itch" for another old. My favorite cast bullet is a 135gr hollow point bevel base bullet made by Night Owl Enterprises. Made for 9mm, I load it in 38 special cases over a load of Titegroup. Economical, accurate, and in a pinch.........deadly.

Just food for thought.

HV

Shooter6br
09-27-2013, 08:42 PM
Soft lead 146 g wadcutters for self defense.

Rainier
09-28-2013, 12:53 AM
Hi Billy -
I'm pretty new to the forum but have loaded and shot a fair number of 38s. For my cowboy action loads I use the Lee 158gr SWC mould and load them with 3.1 grains of Win 231 - it gives me around 725 fps out of my single action Ruger's. I haven't chronographed them in my 2" guns but they seem to shot just fine for practice.
Hope that helps,
Rainier

Low Budget Shooter
09-28-2013, 01:07 AM
BBB, my best load in S&W 642 has been the Mihec bullet intended for 9mm. Based on someone else's experiments to re-create the Federal Nyclad load, I cast HP bullets out of nearly pure lead, 128 grains. I loaded these over 5.2 gr W231 / HP38, which is a max load, but not +P. It shot accurately and expanded well. LBS

catboat
09-28-2013, 11:29 AM
I picked up a S&W model 49 ('humpback") 2" barreled 38 special this past year. I have been shooting home cast (wheel weights) Lee 148 gr tumble lube over 3.5 grains of Bullseye. It's fun shooting it, and I've got decent results from this load. At 7 yards, I get <1.5 inch groups (some in the 1" area) about 1" to the right of POA (point of aim).

I believe some fixed-sighted revolvers are designed for certain bullet weights. I want to write many of these pistols are regulated for 158 grain bullets, but I won't bet the house on it. I figured my 150ish grain wadcutter would be close enough-and they were.

I think your Lee 158 grain SWC TL would be a good bullet to use. Try it. If it prints too high, try a lower weight bullet. As someone responded, you can buy different weight bullets and try. Maybe a 125 grain, and a 158 grain would give you a good idea of the high/low POA/point of impact for your pistol.

I will likely file the left side of my fixed rear sight a bit after more shooting and load development, to move the point of impact over an inch (to POA).

Load and shoot your current bullet designs before you spend anymore money. You may already have the correct set up. Try 3.0 , 3.25 and 3.5 grains of Bullseye powder. Note: 3.5 grains of Bullseye is decidely snappier than 3.0 grains in my snubbie.

A set of Uncle Mike's rubber "boot" grips make these little J-frames much easier to shoot. The Uncle Mike's boot grip gives a strong two-finger grasp for control with natural pointability. They also retain the concept of keeping these small-framed revolvers "small." The factory wood grips are just too small, and difficult to shoot for me. STRONGLY recommend the "boot grips."

Larry Gibson
09-28-2013, 12:31 PM
I think that either boolit should work well, but the final decision should come after seeing which shoots the tightest groups and which one shoots closest to the point of aim for your fixed sight revolvers. I think that I'd opt for the SWC design for general carry, but I shoot a similar RN design (Saeco) boolit too.

I think that I'd start with Bullseye, Tightgroup or WW231 powders, although any of the faster formulas should work well in the abbreviated barrels for plinking and just having fun.

Concur. Suggets starting at 2.7 gr Bullseye with the 158 SWC and work up to 3.5 gr. Accuracy with that bullet has been excellent in several snubbies and is one I load for the wife's practice load in her 2 1/2" M19. Simply load for point of aim to the sights as mentioned.

Larry Gibson

Low Budget Shooter
09-28-2013, 12:39 PM
Doh! I didn't read the original post closely enough, and missed that you are looking for target/practice load. Sorry! LBS

quilbilly
09-28-2013, 02:52 PM
I have been using that 150 gr RN for years for target not only in the 38, but also the 357, and the 357 maximum. It shoots particularly well in my 357 max carbine at the leisurely velocity of 1150 fps and has the same POI at 100 yds as the SWC-GC hunting loads going 800 fps faster. It has even shot passably in my 9mm Luger carbine though I like the 125 gr RNFP better.

Abenaki
09-28-2013, 03:03 PM
It sounds like you are all set to go! Nothing wrong with those boolits.

I would recommend that you try a wad cutter design.

Take care
Abenaki

TXGunNut
09-29-2013, 10:33 PM
Snubbies are surprisingly accurate with the same loads that do well in 4 and 6 inch revolvers. I used my PPC match loads of 2.9 231 under a HBWC and 3.5 231 under a 158 SWC. I was buying swaged lead boolits in those days but suspect a soft TL boolit that fits your bore will serve you well.

bedbugbilly
09-30-2013, 10:12 PM
Thank you all for your help - it's greatly appreciated!

A good idea to get some specimens of different wts/designs to try before purchasing molds. Once I try the ones I have, I'll look in to getting some others to see how they work. I'm also toying with the idea of picking up a 357 rifle if I run across one - fom what I'm reading, the 158 SWC works pretty well out of them as well.

Thanks again everybody - your suggestions / help / advice are going to be a big help!

Jupiter7
10-04-2013, 10:55 PM
The 38 in a levergun will make you forget why you ever shot 22's. I run the same load mr. Gibson mentioned in every 38/357 I own. 158gr SWC over 3.5grs bullseye. Kinda like one of those magic loads that just works.

detox
10-07-2013, 07:19 PM
Bullseye is probably the most used 38 Special powder. Soft 20/1 alloy mushrooms nicely.

You can buy boolit samples to test from Montana bullet works. You can pick alloy and lube. I like flat nose boolits. Call and ask questions.
http://www.montanabulletworks.com/357.html

bobthenailer
10-08-2013, 07:52 AM
I have 2- 38s a S&W 637 and a Tarus 85 both shoot low with lighter bullets but a 158gr swc shoots to the sights with both . i use around 3.0 to 3.5 grs of Bullseye or Tightgroup powder . I have cast bullets from 95 , 125 , 148 & 158 , 180 gr avalible.

waco
11-03-2013, 05:02 PM
I like the NOE 360477
[
ATTACH=CONFIG]86318[/ATTACH]
5 grains of Unique is the load.

Kraschenbirn
11-03-2013, 07:59 PM
I've found the Lee 150 RN an excellent choice for a practice/plinking load. Cast from 50/50 range scrap and WWs, I can duplicate my .38 +P 'carry load' (3" SP-101) with good accuracy and no leading issues. That same boolit, loaded to 'standard' .38 Spl velocities, is my wife's favorite in her classic 4" Diamondback for general practice/plinking. (She likes the RN because it works so well in her speedloaders. :smile: )

Bill

fouronesix
11-03-2013, 08:31 PM
I think I know exactly the type of shooting you are looking for. It's what I do most of the time with my revolvers. Unfortunately the cast bullets I have didn't come from a commonly available mold :( So may not be of much help. I ran across a WHOLE lot of these already cast a few years ago and have had no need to pursue the mold.

It is a .358" 130 gr, plain, flat base, SWC regular grease groove bullet with a BHN of about 15. Loaded over about 2.5 gr of either BE or Trailboss it is the cat's meow for the type of shooting you're interested in. Accurate and mild out of every thing from SW M36 up through the larger 6" SW M28. Even works extremely well in a Marlin M94 carbine.

An alternative to try, but also a factory bullet, would be the Hornady "Cowboy" 140 gr swaged. Also got a ton of those cheap a few years ago.