PDA

View Full Version : plugging lube holes in sizing die

porthos
09-27-2013, 04:46 PM
I'm having issues with lube "running" over the top of the driving band of 45acp 200 gr semi wadcutters. tried to plug the 2 top holes with soft solder wire; but, the pressure of the lube in the press blew the solder out. any other suggestions??

porthos

W.R.Buchanan
09-27-2013, 04:51 PM
The way it is done on a Star Lubricator is to press pieces of shot into the holes not needed.

Obviously the shot needs to be larger than the hole so it is a "jam fit."

It can be melted out or drilled out later if you need the holes back.

Randy

Ed_Shot
09-27-2013, 05:03 PM
You don't say what sizer or lube you're using (I use a Lyman 450 with White Label 2500+) but it sounds like you are pushing your boolit too deep into the sizing die. May I recommend that you take the pressure off your lube and then starting shallow press the boolit deeper in increments applying light lube pressure till you just fill the lube grove and set the depth stop screw.

km101
09-27-2013, 06:50 PM
I think Randy hit it on the head. A depth adjustment should cure your problems. Also you may have too much lube pressure, allowing lube to bleed up past the drive band.

dragonrider
09-27-2013, 07:30 PM
Check the diameter of the top drive band, anytime I had this problem the drive band was too small allowing lube to bypass it to the nose of the boolit.

MtGun44
09-30-2013, 01:03 AM
Too high pressure on lube, probably.

NOT like a Star where blocking holes is useful. Also, Stars have two diameter stepped holes.

Bill