PDA

View Full Version : Got Myself a Fancy knife Sharpener

Down South
09-27-2013, 04:42 PM
I had a hunting buddy raving over a knife sharpener, The Work Sharp Knife & Tool Sharpener. So, I broke down and bought one. This thing Works. What used to take me a long time to accomplish on a stone, I can do in a few minutes. This machine will put a scary sharp edge on a knife.

I didn't want to test it on my carry knife so I got all those cheap steak knives out of the drawer and went to work. Within a few minutes they would all shave. I never could get that good of an edge on those stainless steak knives although I never really put that much effort into them. All they ever had to do was make a tough piece of meat appear tender.
Then I found my fillet knife, Sharp as a razor in a couple minutes.
Then, I broke out my old Case Trapper that a knucklehead broke the tip on. It is stainless but I had it shaving on both blades in a matter of minutes. I still haven't put my good carry knife on it yet. I want a bit more practice with it before I chance ruining a blade. I shopped around online and found the best price for the sharpener at Amazon with free shipping.

Any of you guys have one of these?

http://www.worksharptools.com/knife/sharpeners/knife-sharpener/work-sharp-knife-and-tool-sharpener.html

starmac
09-27-2013, 04:46 PM
I need to break down and buy one of those, I use my carry knives hard, and just sharpen them on one of those that is on demo at the hardware store. lol

What can I say, I'm cheap I guess. lol

Wayne Smith
09-27-2013, 04:50 PM
They have (had, it's been a while) at NH (Northern) one on display. I sharpened the two in my pocket, didn't think it was worth the bucks, though.

crawfobj
09-27-2013, 04:50 PM
I've had my eye on one of those. I've always used a DMT diamond stone, but I'm curious as to the feedback here.

williamwaco
09-27-2013, 05:06 PM
Looks like a winner to me.

repawn
09-27-2013, 05:07 PM
I got one for Christmas last year - I use it for all the knives in the house, the lawn mower blades - scissors and axes. I ended up sharpening everything at the in laws as well. I like mine a lot - faster and easier than using stones.

USAFrox
09-27-2013, 05:28 PM
I'll never get one. Guy at a gun show selling them offered to show me how great they were by sharpening my pocketknife for me. Like a dummy, I let him. He didn't get it as sharp as I usually get it, and he completely rounded off my knife's point! Pissed me off something fierce. Now my knife is pointless. That takes its usefulness in half, as a point is a very useful thing on a knife.

dragonrider
09-27-2013, 06:13 PM
Several of my woodworking friends have them. They excel at sharpening chisels.

starmac
09-27-2013, 06:14 PM
I'll never get one. Guy at a gun show selling them offered to show me how great they were by sharpening my pocketknife for me. Like a dummy, I let him. He didn't get it as sharp as I usually get it, and he completely rounded off my knife's point! Pissed me off something fierce. Now my knife is pointless. That takes its usefulness in half, as a point is a very useful thing on a knife.

He must have been dumber than a smoldering stump. I have sharpened my two carry knives countless times at the hardware store on one of these, both have sharp points, and I have never hurt one, as far as how sharp you want it, you can change the belts to polish it to what degree you want. I know some people are way better at sharpening on a stone than others, I suck at it, and some knives take me forever.

As far as the point is concerned, I'm betting that one of these (larger scale) was used originally on it.

Down South
09-27-2013, 06:37 PM
It would be easy to round a point. If you read the instructions, it says not to roll the handle up when getting to the point.
I did a lot of research on this before I bought one and I saw where some had rounded their knife points so I was aware before I started. I sharpened several sharp pointed knives. All I did was improve the point when I used the sharpener properly.

imashooter2
09-27-2013, 07:22 PM
No way I'm putting any of my blades on a belt sander, no matter what fancy name plate they put on it.

dragonrider
09-27-2013, 07:45 PM
http://www.amazon.com/Work-Sharp-WS3000-Wood-Sharpener/dp/B000PVHIMW/ref=sr_1_7/188-8863852-2227446?ie=UTF8&qid=1380325487&sr=8-7&keywords=work+sharp+tool+sharpener

TJF1
09-27-2013, 07:52 PM
I have one also and it works great
terry

jmort
09-27-2013, 10:07 PM
I have read reports from many happy users. Someday possibly. I think Speedysharp cannot be outdone for the $$$, plus, no moving parts, sharpens anything anywhere for $10.00
http://www.speedysharp.com/

possom813
09-27-2013, 10:12 PM
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA0PP05X2510&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleMKP&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleMKP-_-pla-_-Storage+%26+Organization-_-9SIA0PP05X2510

This is pretty much all I use anymore. I picked one up at a gun shop for $5, and it will put a good shaving edge on just about any knife. I use it for all of our skinning knives and carry and kitchen knives. About 10-15 swipes the first time through, and then about 6 or 8 to put the edge back on it.

xs11jack
09-27-2013, 11:01 PM
Problem with me using a powered belt is that it takes too much metal off each time you use it after the first sharpening. once a blade is cleaned up, it should only take a few licks on a good stone to bring the blade back to super sharp.
Ole Jack

Elkins45
09-27-2013, 11:24 PM
If you already own a belt grinder you can buy a leather belt for it. Apply a little fine polishing compound and you can get knives and tools amazingly sharp without removing much metal at all...it polishes more than it abrades.

The paper polishing wheels are a good method too, especially if you have a spare electric motor lying around.

Ed Barrett
09-27-2013, 11:25 PM
I had an Aardvark sharpener for a couple of years, lent it to a relative have not seen it since. It was made in South Africa and used diamond impregnated springs. A few swipes and you could shave a peach. It was setup so there was no way you could screw up.

snuffy
09-27-2013, 11:50 PM
No way I'm putting any of my blades on a belt sander, no matter what fancy name plate they put on it.

DITTO! Too easy to overheat the edge of a blade with a belt sander, drawing the temper from the steel.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...9SIA0PP05X2510

Never would I miss-treat any of my knives with that so-called-sharpener. Those with the round washers or the X shaped carbide blades, tear the steel from the edge of a blade, raising sharp burrs that dull easily. They also remove so much steel, you end up with half a blade from all the steel being cut/torn away.

I've been using a Gatco diamond sharpener for all my knives and most of my family. The diamond hones cut fast, keep their cool, and last a long time. It provides a fine SMOOTH edge, the smoother the edge the sharper it will be and it'll last longer.

http://www.amazon.com/Gatco-10006-Ultimate-diamond-sharpening/dp/B003774RF2/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1380339988&sr=8-2&keywords=gatco+sharpeners

MaryB
09-28-2013, 12:58 AM
I use one of these. Bought it when I was catering BBQ and had to cut mass amounts of meat. http://www.edgeproinc.com/Apex-Model-Edge-Pro-System-c3/

jmort
09-28-2013, 01:21 AM
That is an extra fancy sharpener MaryB. Looks real nice.

Valley Forge
09-28-2013, 02:12 AM
I was beyond skeptical and thought it was silly but watched a couple of custom knifemakers working with a belt and wound up buying this miniature version when it was on sale. I put a swiss army knife across it and destroyed it, I tried an ANZA blade made from a 10" file and was absolutely amazed at the edge. I have used it on a dozen Spyderco, Kershaw and Anza knives with great results.

captaint
09-28-2013, 06:31 AM
I have a Lansky kit. It's not that fast, but baby it is good !!! Mike

Elkins45
09-28-2013, 08:48 AM
The Spyderco Sharpmaker is almost universally regarded as a great sharpening system, especially for folks who don't have a lot of experience and don't have a real desire to learn all the stuff knife enthusiasts know about sharpening. The only downside is cost (it's usually around $50) and the fact it doesn't have a really aggressive abrasive for doing initial edge profiling on badly worn blades.

I use my Sharpmaker to do touch up on knives after I've profiled them with the Lansky or Smith's diamond system, or if I don't want to put the leather belt on my belt sander. Yeah, I own a bunch of sharpeners...

bikerbeans
09-28-2013, 10:09 AM
I have a "fancy" knife sharpening system that consists of:

(1) 60 year old former sub-sailor (my best friend)
(1) 30 year old Lansky kit
(1) Natty Pak
(1) Tin of Skoal

I bring all my knifes to deer camp every year with the above ingredients. The knifes are magically sharpened and the dip and beer disappears.:bigsmyl2:

My friend, Buck, is an artist when I comes to puttin' an edge on a blade. Also, I think sharpening knifes in the cabin for a few hours means he doesn't have to listen to all the Bull that is flyin' around.

BB

MtGun44
09-28-2013, 10:33 AM
+1 on the Lansky kit. REALLY works well.

Bill

dragon813gt
09-28-2013, 10:44 AM
I use a Gatco kit. It has more angle options compared to the Lansky. And to be honest I bought it because it's what they had. I am completely satisfied w/ the purchase. I don't need my EDC knife to be razor sharp. I keep a higher angle on it so it lasts longer. Takes longer to get the kit out an put it away then it dies to sharpen the blade. I'm just not a fan of mechanical sharpeners.

Fishman
09-28-2013, 12:49 PM
Downsouth I have a worksharp as well. Pay no attention to the naysayers on this thread. Some of them still think that smokeless powder us a passing fad LOL. I was skeptical but the first time I used it I was sold. And I'm the guy that sharpens friend's knives, originally with handmade Arkansas stones and a leather strop, then a Lansky. This thing works great. I see no need for the coarse belt unless the knife has been abused. I normally sharpen a blade with three to five passes with the medium grit. The knife can then be touched up with mini crocks or the like until it needs a bit more. Obviously that is dependant on the steel used.

This tool is not a gimmick and no I dont sell them and I sure didnt invent it but I wish I had.

mroliver77
09-28-2013, 01:12 PM
With the proper grit and belt speed there is no reason a belt sander would ruin a knife.

Some old farts tell me that my chain saw grinder prematurely uses up a chain. Fooey! Used properly power tools are great!

Down South
09-28-2013, 02:17 PM
Downsouth I have a worksharp as well. Pay no attention to the naysayers on this thread. Some of them still think that smokeless powder us a passing fad LOL. I was skeptical but the first time I used it I was sold. And I'm the guy that sharpens friend's knives, originally with handmade Arkansas stones and a leather strop, then a Lansky. This thing works great. I see no need for the coarse belt unless the knife has been abused. I normally sharpen a blade with three to five passes with the medium grit. The knife can then be touched up with mini crocks or the like until it needs a bit more. Obviously that is dependant on the steel used.

This tool is not a gimmick and no I dont sell them and I sure didnt invent it but I wish I had.
Oh, I can take the heat. I don't sell them either and I wish that I could have been on the inventing end of this machine too.
I put my carry knife on it this morning and a fine job it did.
Once you get the knack of operating the sharpener, this thing is something.

I see no need for the course belt either. I believe it is for tool sharpening. That's something I use an angle grinder or bench grinder for.

kayak1
09-28-2013, 02:37 PM
I have heard good things about the grizzy wet grinder:
http://www.grizzly.com/products/10-Wet-Grinder-Kit/T10010

I haven't had the need to spend that type of money on a sharpener. I normally just use a normal wet stone with some oil.

knifemaker
09-28-2013, 03:40 PM
Anyone that uses a belt sander and removes the temper from the knife is a clumsy hamfisted dunce at best. I make custom knives and use a 2X48 sander to put the edge on my knives that I will put up against any knife for sharpness. I have customers who have told me that they have field dressed and skinned out two elk without having to touch up the S30V blade.
The guys on here bad mouthing the Worksharp are guys who have never used it, or may be the type who should not be allowed around power equitment. I have reccommended the worksharp to my knife customers who have a hard time putting a edge on a knife and they love it.
What alot of you do not know, is that many famous custom knife makers use sanding-grinding belts to put the edge on their knives that they sell for several hundred bucks. I do not think the nay sayers on here has the experience that those custom knife makers have.

imashooter2
09-28-2013, 05:13 PM
The knives I have are already manufactured. They don't need a belt sander to take material off them to shape a blade. I've got nothing against you using one. No way I'm going to.

Hamish
09-28-2013, 06:07 PM
For you fellows that are dead set against using powered grit sharpening, a nice flat surface and sheet sandpaper, finishing up at 2,000 grit, (available at any good auto parts store for the paint guy's), will get your blades into the flint blade sharpness ballpark. (try youtube using "Scary Sharp" in the search line. I learned many years ago on chisels and plane blades and then transferred the use to knives.)

That said, what knifemaker posted about belt sanding being SOP is, and has been the case for decades. Like any tool, you have to learn HOW to use it.

SeabeeMan
09-28-2013, 06:18 PM
I got one for Father's Day and had the bald spots up and down my arms to prove that it worked. As others have said, don't roll the tip and it is definitely for bringing knives back from the dead. It could easily take off too much metal if you aren't careful with the lower grit belts.

snuffy
09-28-2013, 08:00 PM
[QUOTE]Anyone that uses a belt sander and removes the temper from the knife is a clumsy hamfisted dunce at best.[/QUTE]

That right there describes the majority of people reading this thread. No offense to anybody specific but, get in a hurry, bear down too much, blade gets too hot. It'll also wear a knife out too soon by removing too much metal.

It's amazing how many myths exist about how to sharpen knives. Most don't know about blade angles, or how to maintain an even, smooth angle. Lansky, Gatco, and I'm sure others have guides to set and maintain the blade angles WHILE SHARPENING. You should be able to see the blade angle as bright, shiny, smooth taper. I use a 20X magnifier to look at the edge as I sharpen the knife. When finished, the blade angle looks like a mirror.

I did a search for the Spyderco tri-angle sharpmaker. Then a U-tube link came up with the inventor showing how it works.

http://www.amazon.com/Spyderco-Tri-Angle-Sharpmaker-Sharpener-204MF/dp/B000Q9C4AE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1380408262&sr=8-1&keywords=sharpmaker+spyderco

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GB0r6GvESGg

I'm impressed! I'm going to get one, as soon as I can find the money. Why? Because it's so versatile. It can literally sharpen any cutting tool we use on a daily basis. It does depend on your unsupported hand to maintain a straight up and down angle to achieve the desired blade angle, but practice should allow a pretty precise result. The ceramic "stones" cut fast, are easily cleaned up, and should last for a long time.

As far as my present Gatco, the synthetic diamonds, ( polycrystalline synthetic diamonds), wear out pretty quickly. The diamonds are a low grade diamond, which are made to break down during lapping. I've replaced my hones once over five years, I need new ones now. BUT I would have had to replace carborundum stones many more times.

I sharpen a LOT of knives. My own, and my huge family, all their hunting knives. I would always bring the kit to deer camp, the day before hunting was when I sharpened sometimes 10 knives.

knifemaker
09-28-2013, 11:37 PM
Another thing I failed to bring up about the Worksharp. It puts a convex edge on the knife cutting edge because it is a "slack belt" system and no hard platen behind the sanding belt. This convex edge is less prone to chip out when hitting bone then the standard 22 degree "V" angle that most sharpners apply to the cutting edge. Also with a slack belt there is less friction then if a hard platen was used behind the belt and that means less friction=less heat on the cutting edge.
I have no interest in the worksharp company, I just know the sharpner works due to the belt system and built in guide system that helps those guys who have a hard time holding a consistant angle while using Arkansas stones. It is also far faster then the "Lansky" system.
If you want to get one, stay away from the sportsman's type stores as they normally want about 99 bucks for one. You can get them online from Ebay or Amazon for about 69 bucks and sometimes free shipping included.

oldgeezershooter
09-28-2013, 11:57 PM
I have read reports from many happy users. Someday possibly. I think Speedysharp cannot be outdone for the $$$, plus, no moving parts, sharpens anything anywhere for $10.00
http://www.speedysharp.com/
I have used one for years, carry it in my pocket when hunting to touch up my blades when skinning a deer or Elk.
Also works on serrated blades.

jmort
09-29-2013, 12:01 AM
Speedysharp works on anything and everything, anywhere and anyplace. Best $10.00 you will ever spend on a sharpener.

MaryB
09-29-2013, 12:07 AM
The Edgepro I use has polishing stones and tapes all the way up to mirror surface. 1,000 grit is fine enough for my use. I am horrible at keeping the right angle using a stone by hand and this holds things at a fixed repeatable angle.

snuffy
09-29-2013, 01:25 AM
I have used one for years, carry it in my pocket when hunting to touch up my blades when skinning a deer or Elk.
Also works on serrated blades.[/QUOE]

[QOTE=jmortimer;2407976]Speedysharp works on anything and everything, anywhere and anyplace. Best $10.00 you will ever spend on a sharpener.

Take a look at this u-tube vid;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNZYyR-tEgo

Look at the pile of cuttings left after using the speedy sharp. Those shavings are your knife blade! They even admit the fact that their sharpener "peels the steel"

http://speedysharpinc.com/

Won't be long before that blade is gone! But, well, it's your knife,,,---while you have anything left of it!

bob208
09-29-2013, 08:48 AM
I was always taught to hand sharpen knives. never use power it could burn the blades. I keep mine shaving sharp with a stone . I even use a stone on my axes.
one other rant about knives why are all these fools chopping wood with their knife? you use a axe or a hatchet.

km101
09-29-2013, 12:17 PM
My stones and my "crock stix" work just fine and have no moving parts, wont burn the blade or round the point!
If it aint broke, don't fix it!

10x
09-30-2013, 06:42 PM
In 1973 my wife and I bought Victorinox knives for the kitchen. All I have ever used on these is the steel that came with the set. I can still slice a ripe tomato with all of them.

About 10 years ago I purchased a Chinese made Gerber Gator for $19.00 at Walmart. This knife has gutted, skinned, and dressed over 30 deer and has only been touched up with a diamond steel a couple of times since I got it. It stays sharp and is amazing steel. My Shrade old timer will need several sharpening sessions while gutting and skinning a deer.
The Victorinox knives need a pass over a steel once when cutting up a deer they are remarkable knives.

TheDoctor
10-01-2013, 10:36 AM
youtube Murray Carter, and Carter Cutlery. Man has some impressive videos on sharpening and knife making.