PDA

View Full Version : 45acp auto throat leading follow up

porthos
09-27-2013, 03:19 PM
I posted here a couple weeks ago about throat leading in my Wilson 45acp. had several bits of advice; but used the most simple one posted by TOMME BOY . I removed the hard lube from 20 each Missouri bullets,and 20 from some that a friend traded me for an rcbs bottom pour that I don't use. I re-lubed them with lbt lube. shot 20 checked the bbl., no lead. shot the other 20 and no lead. is there something lacking with the "harder lubes" in my gun there is. I also took CHAR-GAR's advice and lapped the forcing cone with 30-06 brass and 600 grit. i'll probably continue the lapping until I can shoot the hard lube without leading. just to see if it can be done. if I screw up the bbl., it won't be the first thing that I messed up and certainly not the last. I did learn a lesson about what a really good lube is. been shooting lbt lube at over 2000 fps in rifles and it works fine, so why change.

porthos

Char-Gar
09-27-2013, 04:32 PM
Most commercial casters use automated machines to produce bullets. They use harder than necessary alloys to keep the bullet from denting on the long drop, use bevel bases on the bullets because this style fall from the molds easier and lubricate with a hard wax lube (most often blue) designed to stay in the groove during shipment.

All of these steps are designed to make the commercial casters life easier and not to make good bullets. Over the years we have had hundreds if not thousands of people come to this board with issues caused by these over the counter bullets.

A plain flat base bullet, cast of the proper alloy, lubricated with a good lube will not lead the throat of a good 1911 barrel. Lapping the burrs out is always a good idea, but not likely you will ever truly experience good performance with cast bullets in your pistol until you use decent bullets.

Most casters will sell you bullets "raw" or unlubed and sized at a discount if you ask. At the least, invest in a good lubesize machine so you can size and lubricate your bullets yourself.

williamwaco
09-27-2013, 05:37 PM
Hard lube sucks in most pistol loads.

You don.t need to remove it. Just tumbl'em - as is in a liquid lube like LLA or XLOX

http://reloadingtips.com/pages/lla_bullet_lube_2.htm

The perfect storm for leading is a .355/.356 9mm bullet cast "hard" with hard lube and loaded to something less than 1000fps.