PDA

View Full Version : If you are gonna butcher an M1 Carbine

timspawn
09-27-2013, 02:59 PM
I picked this up today. It's one of the better conversions I've seen. I will she how she shoots on Sunday.

dagunnut
09-27-2013, 03:17 PM
Wow, someone was rather crafty with it! It looks very nice and practical hopefully it shoots as nice as it looks.

Mario
dagunnut

prsman23
09-27-2013, 03:33 PM
Poor thing. I feel bad for it. Looks so plain. I guess retirement softened the ole war dog up.

frnkeore
09-27-2013, 03:44 PM
That's a very nice Carbine, I like it.

I had a Carbine that had a very nice Fajen stock on it. I bought it in 1986 and kept it for ten years before trading it for a Lathe. In all thoughs years, unless it was perfectly clean it would JAM!!!!

At that time, there were no recoil springs available, so I was stuck with it jamming. I loved the little rife but, it made me so mad, I traded it.

Frank

Gtek
09-28-2013, 04:21 PM
That is not butchered, someone spent a lot of time and effort to create that. The "PURIST" will scoff, ask them to buy you the one they think you should have! Back in the early nineties we were buying SKS'S buy the pallet and I kept a few too many. They were selling sporter stocks in walnut, I took one and carved and duplicated down to bayonet slot and cleaning kit installed in duplicated hole in butt, copy just long. Has 14 3/4" length of pull for my monkey arms but looks super in finished walnut with metal hand guard. First showing my "BUD" ask me if one of my M1-A's pooped in the safe, rough crowd. Enjoy your new toy! Gtek

Dale in Louisiana
09-28-2013, 08:28 PM
Reminds me of Michael Jackson's 'military look'.

There's no accounting for tastes, though.

dale in Louisiana

Hamish
09-28-2013, 09:17 PM
I don't know what rifle these other guy's are looking at, but that is a nice piece right there fella!

williamwaco
09-28-2013, 09:53 PM
I think it is beautiful.

olereb
09-28-2013, 10:00 PM
I personally like it,i do see a lot of conversions that look horrible but I don't see that as one of them.

dg31872
09-28-2013, 10:35 PM
Who made the scope mount?

Patrick L
09-28-2013, 10:35 PM
This is a common theme in the gun world. Back in the 60s, 70s, even the 80s all of this WWII surplus stuff was just that, surplus. Extra. Bordering on worthless. Lots of pieces were worked over like this. They were plentiful and cheap, and not really interesting in issued dress. Some truly were butchered by real hacks, but some exhibited some decent workmanship.

Fast forward a few more years, and suddenly WWII is hot. Personally I think the turning point was Saving Private Ryan, and the realization that the war was over 50 years in the past. People now look at it as a cardinal sin to even clean an oil a "piece of history," much less modify one. I sort of understand, but I also see it as sort of knee jerk. I was certainly guilty of it. I sporterized an Arisaka, and (gasp!) REFINISHED a genuine USGI M1 Garand! That was then, and now is now.

Bzcraig
09-28-2013, 10:52 PM
I like it and I'm guessing ain't too many others like it!

alrighty
09-28-2013, 10:56 PM
I like it and I about picked one up on an auction site the other day with a xx grade figured Fajen stock.Nothing wrong with original military rifles , they do have their place but for a good fun shooter and field rifle give me a nicely done sporterized , scoped version any day.I have a few original war relics that I will keep original. I have many more that are now great sporting rifles that have nice wood , good triggers,improved safties and optics that will let me enjoy them even more.I cut up a few of them myself and I don't regret a single one.
It is your rifle , enjoy it and I hope it shoots as good as it looks!

GunnyJohn
09-28-2013, 11:37 PM
I've never seen one sporterized. I think someone did a beautiful job on it. I hope it shoots as nice as it looks.

mac1911
09-29-2013, 01:16 AM
By the looks of that...someone put a little love into it. I like it. Its not butchered in such a way that it looks like a hack put it together. Try and buy a stock today that nice that fits. I'm curious for the range report.

ironhead7544
09-29-2013, 08:22 AM
IIRC, that is an expensive stock. Had one in the 70ties. Guy brought it into the shop and I picked it up cheap. He had fired some surplus 30 Carbine ammo that was corrosive. Not sure what country the ammo came from but I saw it cheap at another shop. Told him to use the proper cleaning for corrosive ammo but he didnt and it ruined the barrel.

At the time, the M1 carbine wasnt worth much so I decided to convert it to a wildcat cartridge. Someone suggested the 357 Auto Mag. I looked up the specs and they looked good. Got some dies and made up some ammo. Sent the ammo to Clymer and they made a reamer. Sent the barrel out to be rebored to 357 size. Had the bolt opened up and fitted an extractor from a Vulcan 44 Magnum rifle that Universal used to make. One can be made from a regular extractor too. Worked out fine but had to drop loads 10% from the pistol loads. Still got 2000 fps from a 158 gr bullet. No mods necessary to the mags or feed ramp. The 15 shot mags held 7 rounds and the 30 round mags held 14 rounds. Made the M1 Carbine into a short range capable deer rifle, anyway. That stock handled nicely. Looked like a 30 cal unless you looked at the bore or chamber.

Johnny_Cyclone
09-29-2013, 12:34 PM
Cool. I'd like to see some more pictures from various angles

timspawn
09-29-2013, 02:00 PM
Scope mount is a S&K.

williamwaco
09-29-2013, 02:02 PM
Who made the scope mount?

Looks like a Wichita to me.

I have had a couple of them.

One for the M1 carbine and one for the Ruger Mini-14

http://www.wichitaarms.com/

I don't think they make it anymore.

My Mini-14 mount looks like the one in the photo but the one on their web site is a complete bridge.

TheGrimReaper
09-30-2013, 10:22 AM
I really really like it. Looks sharp!!!

timspawn
10-07-2013, 08:02 AM
25 yards with elbows on bench. Magtech FMJ ammo. That is five shots. Now to get a set of dies.

merlin101
10-07-2013, 12:55 PM
I like it! now you just need to work on tightning that group up:kidding: , If it were mine I'd be happier than a pig in ......

Multigunner
10-07-2013, 01:32 PM
Plenty of non milspec M1 Carbine clones out there if you don't want to alter an original.
I can remember when surplus M1 Carbines were sold through the DCM for $20 each.

I like the idea of a .357 Automag or 9mm Winchester Magnum chambered M1.
One of the carbine prototypes offered to the army was disqualified because it was chambered for the .38 Super Auto.
It was a unusual standing breech blow forwards action, the barrel moving forwards on firing then back to strip a fresh round into the chamber. The firing mechanism was based on a double action revolver style hidden hammer and trigger.
The blow forward action meant that the mass of the barrel acted to slow down opening, eliminating the need for a heavy bolt. The rebounding hammer double action meant a safety latch was not necessary.