PDA

View Full Version : Cream of Wheat, and Chore Girl and bronze wool, Oh MY!

sniper
09-27-2013, 12:29 PM
Ooook...I just loaded up a half-dozen of the lead removal "bore-cleaner" loads I found somewhere on the forum...just to see if they work better than the application of elbow grease+ copper Chore Girl or Bronze Wool. 8-)

357 Magnum brass, standard primer,~3.6gr (.05cc Lee dipper) Unique ~10 gr Cream of Wheat (1.0cc Lee Dipper) with a 158gr SWC hard-cast commercial boolit.

IIRC, Several guys said they work great. Are there any caveats to using this load? 3.8gr Unique should be enough to get the bullet out of a 4" barrel, right?

Our state-owned and run rimfire/handgun range burned down, and they are now in the interminable process of discussing how it should be rebuilt! :sad: We'll be lucky if we see a new range before late 2015! Bureaucrats!
Thanx

357Ruger
10-03-2013, 09:19 AM
I've found several lead loads that will clean out a leaded barrel just by normal shooting. My favorite for the 357Mag is the Zero swaged bullet and 5.6grs of Power Pistol. Not only does this load shoot great out of most of my numerous 357 revolvers, it cleans the lead out of even if the gun doesn't shoot it that well.

Can't speak about the load you listed as I've never seen the need to try it.

K-Rod
10-05-2013, 04:10 AM
Ok, I now have heard it all. Cream of Wheat???

Look, I don't understand all the talk about "elbow grease, chore girl, ramming a rod down barrels for hours, bronze wool & now Cream of Wheat" to remove leading from a barrel.

Just shoot a cylinder full of jacketed or plated bullets down the barrel. They blow the lead right out of the barrel. I keep a box of Rainer Ballistic Bullets for each caliber of pistol I shoot cast in just for blowing out any leading problems I may have.

Save the Cream of Wheat for breakfast.

btroj
10-05-2013, 07:35 AM
Best bore removal loads are the ones that don't lead in the first place.

Why worry over how to remove leading? Work on not having it in the first place.

A Chore boy works so fast that it isn't worth messing with "shoot out the leading" loads, least not in my opinion.

Garyshome
10-05-2013, 09:18 AM
Tis Best Not to Lead in the first place! Get your boolit size right first! Then clean later.

waksupi
10-05-2013, 12:39 PM
Ok, I now have heard it all. Cream of Wheat???

Look, I don't understand all the talk about "elbow grease, chore girl, ramming a rod down barrels for hours, bronze wool & now Cream of Wheat" to remove leading from a barrel.

Just shoot a cylinder full of jacketed or plated bullets down the barrel. They blow the lead right out of the barrel. I keep a box of Rainer Ballistic Bullets for each caliber of pistol I shoot cast in just for blowing out any leading problems I may have.

Save the Cream of Wheat for breakfast.

COW works well in straight cases, but has a couple problems in bottlenecks. As far as shooting the lead out with jacketed, I do believe it has been determined that can damage a barrel. Best thing is to find the right load, or use reduced velocity cast boolits to remove the leading.

K-Rod
10-05-2013, 05:00 PM
I believe using chemicals & abrasives in a barrel does as well. I agree using the right size, alloy etc is the best but like everything else in this game, theres a trial & error period until its found.

Shooting a cylinder of jacketed bullets to clear lead fouling now & then isnt going to hurt a barrel as much as chemicals & abrasives like bronze wool.

Of course, thats just my opinon.

sniper
10-09-2013, 10:02 PM
Tis Best Not to Lead in the first place! Get your boolit size right first! Then clean later.

Unfortunately, not possible...I don't cast any longer, and must buy commercial cast boolits from whatever source I can find.:sad: Hence, the search for somethng that is less of a p.i.t.a. than scrubbing a barrel. If the C.O.W. works, great! If not, a good breakfast! :bigsmyl2: