PDA

View Full Version : Light load using .44 magnum brass and Lyman 429383

Ithaca Gunner
09-27-2013, 06:47 AM
Looking for load suggestions, something around 600-750fps using magnum brass and the 429383 boolit. Lyman doesn't list loads for it in their manuals with magnum brass.

I've only found one load in gun magazines. It uses 5gr. of Bullseye for around 650fps. What do you guys use for nice light loads using magnum brass? The old .44spl. factory duplicate load using magnum brass is what I'm after.

Sasquatch-1
09-27-2013, 07:49 AM
I use 7 grns of Unique with a 240 grn lswc in my 9.5" Super Redhawk and 7.5" SBH. Barely has the kick of a .22 lr and almost no case expansion. Down side is it is very dirty. I lot of soot left on the case and in the gun.

bobthenailer
09-27-2013, 08:19 AM
I regulary use Bullseye and Tightgroup powder in the 44 mag for reduced loads in mag brass 5.0 to 6.0 grs of BE should land you somewhere in your desired velocity range of 600 /750 fps.

rintinglen
09-27-2013, 11:05 AM
The lowest I've gone is 7.6 grains Of Unique. I did not measure the velocity, but the recoil was light. Cases were blackened and the barrel was pretty dirty. Thing that has me scratching my head is that the 429-383 is superbly accurate over 6.9 grains of Unique, with noticeably less dirt in the chambers and barrel when used in the 44 Special. The 429-383 is less accurate in my Ruger 44 Redhawk than it is in my S&W M-21.

Ithaca Gunner
09-27-2013, 12:23 PM
I'm in the process of cleaning my reloading/casting shop today and I may find some empty .44spl casings, but I know I have several hundred of the magnum variety.

Mal Paso
09-27-2013, 09:02 PM
5.1g Clays

JesterGrin_1
09-28-2013, 03:05 AM
5.5Gr of TiteGroup in .44 Mag brass with a 240Gr Boolit shoots right nice.

But to be honest if you do not have TiteGroup but have Unique I would rather have you find a good load with Unique. As Unique is a powder that can be used in many cartridges to good effect.

I have found TiteGroup to shoot pretty clean. But the downside in my opinion is that it does not take up much case space thus it can easily be double or triple charged if one does not pay attention.

So saying that you might be better off with something like TrailBoss as it was designed to be a bulky powder. And will give you the low end of the speed range as well.

sandman228
09-28-2013, 09:35 AM
I like 9 gr of herco with a 240 gr swc bullet from my lee mold tumble lubed and in starline 44 mag brass . its a nice happy medium load,i shoot it out of a rossi 92 44 mag lever action carbine and out of a ruger 7.5 inch super Blackhawk. its a little dirty in the carbine but no leading . in the sbh I get a very small amount of leading in the forcing cone but its not so bad to scrub out .

sandman228
09-28-2013, 09:47 AM
5.5Gr of TiteGroup in .44 Mag brass with a 240Gr Boolit shoots right nice.

But to be honest if you do not have TiteGroup but have Unique I would rather have you find a good load with Unique. As Unique is a powder that can be used in many cartridges to good effect.

I have found TiteGroup to shoot pretty clean. But the downside in my opinion is that it does not take up much case space thus it can easily be double or triple charged if one does not pay attention.

So saying that you might be better off with something like TrailBoss as it was designed to be a bulky powder. And will give you the low end of the speed range as well.

I know this first hand and im here to tell you that 9 gr of titegroup will almost take a 357 mag clear out of your hands when your not expecting it . I used to load 4.5 gr of titegroup behind a 158 gr lswc . I own a 6 inch s&w 686 I had 1 accidentaly double charged ran through it it scared the hell out of me it jammed up the cylinder I thought it junked the gun . after I gathered myself I got the gun unjammed and took it to a relative who went over it with a pair of machinist magnifying glasses to look for damage luckily all was ok . it just scared the hell out of me .

Ohio Rusty
09-28-2013, 10:08 AM
I don't use magnum brass for light loads. I use .44 special brass. Less case for less powder. .44 special cases fit the .44 magnum cylinder. My two favorite light loads are .44 wadcutters. A .429348 180 grain flying trashcan over 4.7 grains of red dot or the Lee 200 grain wascutter on top of 4.0 grains of trail boss. Both loads are quite pleasant to shoot. a .200 grain RNPF boolit would probably do as nice over the trail boss load.
Trail boss has become my favorite powder for .44 and .38 target loads.
Ohio Rusty ><>

JesterGrin_1
09-28-2013, 02:27 PM
I know this first hand and im here to tell you that 9 gr of titegroup will almost take a 357 mag clear out of your hands when your not expecting it . I used to load 4.5 gr of titegroup behind a 158 gr lswc . I own a 6 inch s&w 686 I had 1 accidentaly double charged ran through it it scared the hell out of me it jammed up the cylinder I thought it junked the gun . after I gathered myself I got the gun unjammed and took it to a relative who went over it with a pair of machinist magnifying glasses to look for damage luckily all was ok . it just scared the hell out of me .

Sorry to hear that but I am glad you and the pistol are Ok.

The .44 Magnum is my favorite pistol cartridge.

When I started loading smokeless cartridges at about the same time I joined this forum TiteGroup was my first powder of which I purchased Wayyyyy too much of it lol. But I was new and had no idea how far it would go lol. But that cartridge I started with was the .44 Magnum. So since I fired oh about 700 rounds of Test Rounds through a Marlin 1894 I can tell you allot on how the powder behaves.

Thank Goodness I no longer have the Marlin 1894 in .44 Mag lol. But I digress lol.

To make a very long story short I decided to use TiteGroup only for low end loads. If I wanted Hotter loads I would go with H-110/W-296.