PDA

View Full Version : Bluedot with Lee Slugs?

olereb
09-26-2013, 09:39 PM
I just bought the Lee 7/8oz slug mold and was planning on also getting the 1oz but wanted to ask if anyone has used or is using Bluedot for both of those?. I have looked at load data and only see Bluedot listed for the 1oz slug,i'm looking to get one powder that will do both if possible for the moment. I'll branch out eventually once I get some loads under my belt but am looking to keep it simple starting out. Thanks a lot for any input,also if any of y'all have used Bluedot with the 7/8oz feel free to mention what load you used. I will be shooting a 870 with rifled barrel using 2 3/4" shells.

longbow
09-26-2013, 11:53 PM
Lightest slug I have shot with Blue Dot is a 1 oz. I wasn't sure if there would be enough pressure for good burn but it worked well. Not sure with 7/8 oz., that might be a bit on the light side.

I think Unique would be a better choice for light slugs. I haven't checked the Lee load data though. I do have a lot of load data for Unique and 1 oz. to 1 1/8 oz. slugs, just not sure about Lee slug specific load data. Unique is enough faster than Blue Dot that I will speculate that it should work fine with 7/8 oz. slug.

So why speculate I sez... let's go find some info:

Hah! The only 7/8 oz. Unique load I found is one I posted a while ago from one of my old Alliant manuals. I do not have it in PDF so it must be a paper one I have downstairs.

I will take a look and see if it has any 7/8 oz. Blue Dot loads.

Are you interested in other powders (like maybe Unique)?

Longbow

Gun-adian
09-27-2013, 02:39 AM
I've been using Blue Dot and the Lyman 525gr slug. Works great in my 870 and puts out a really cool fireball!! The 8.5 inch barrel helps, too :)

jmort
09-28-2013, 12:38 AM
Here is an old thread (Longbow included) testing various loads with Blue Dot and 7/8 Lee Slug
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?38940-Tests-of-LEE-7-8-oz-slug-with-Blue-Dot

longbow
09-28-2013, 02:07 AM
That link goes back father than my memory... wait a minute, what was I saying?

I do sort of remember that. I had forgotten that Adam was using a 7/8 oz. slug though.

At the time I figured that even 1 oz. was a little light for Blue Dot since most of my load data used faster powders like Unique, Green Dot, PB, etc. My 1 oz. loads with Blue Dot worked out well though. In fact I rather like Blue Dot for slugs. So far I have had not problems with it even in well below freezing weather where it is supposed to be hard to ignite.

I digress. I will take a look in my squirreled away load data to see what I have that may be of use.

Longbow

olereb
09-28-2013, 04:19 PM
Lightest slug I have shot with Blue Dot is a 1 oz. I wasn't sure if there would be enough pressure for good burn but it worked well. Not sure with 7/8 oz., that might be a bit on the light side.

I think Unique would be a better choice for light slugs. I haven't checked the Lee load data though. I do have a lot of load data for Unique and 1 oz. to 1 1/8 oz. slugs, just not sure about Lee slug specific load data. Unique is enough faster than Blue Dot that I will speculate that it should work fine with 7/8 oz. slug.

So why speculate I sez... let's go find some info:

Hah! The only 7/8 oz. Unique load I found is one I posted a while ago from one of my old Alliant manuals. I do not have it in PDF so it must be a paper one I have downstairs.

I will take a look and see if it has any 7/8 oz. Blue Dot loads.

Are you interested in other powders (like maybe Unique)?

Longbow

Unique is a option which i'm fine with,i have a lot of that. Thanks for mentioning that,i wasn't even thinking of Unique for shotgun.

longbow
09-28-2013, 06:35 PM
Unique is a good powder for light to medium weight slugs. I have lots of load data for it if you need some. Mostly for 1 oz to 1 1/8 oz. but I am sure it is fast enough that it would work well with 7/8 oz. and I may have load data for 7/8 oz. slug.

I got busy working on slugs today and forgot to look up the old Alliant reloading data. I just took a break for a coffee so will go look later.

Longbow

longbow
09-28-2013, 10:14 PM
Okay then, I looked through my old info. No load recipes for 7/8 oz. slug and Blue Dot. I do have some for Unique and Herco along with some faster powders.

Not sure if the slug is too light for slower powders like Blue Dot or if there just aren't load recipes readily available.

You can also use shot load recipes for 7/8 oz. and replace the shot weight with the Lee slug. These loads won't be as high velocity as a true slug recipe but they will shoot and be safe.

Ajay should have loads listed if there are any as he has posted all sorts of load data. Maybe doing a search of his posts will turn up some useful data.

Longbow

olereb
09-28-2013, 10:35 PM
Okay then, I looked through my old info. No load recipes for 7/8 oz. slug and Blue Dot. I do have some for Unique and Herco along with some faster powders.

Not sure if the slug is too light for slower powders like Blue Dot or if there just aren't load recipes readily available.

You can also use shot load recipes for 7/8 oz. and replace the shot weight with the Lee slug. These loads won't be as high velocity as a true slug recipe but they will shoot and be safe.

Ajay should have loads listed if there are any as he has posted all sorts of load data. Maybe doing a search of his posts will turn up some useful data.

Longbow

I'll just go with Unique with the 7/8 slugs,i have a lot of it so that will work out good and i'll just grab some Bluedot later when I do some 1oz slugs. Thanks for your info,i appreciate you taking the time to look the info up.

longbow
09-29-2013, 01:10 AM
If you want some load recipes, I have some old Alliant info from when they published slug data (don't seem to now) and I have a few other sources as well.

Let me know what components you have and I will post accordingly... or PM me your e-mail address and I will scan what I have and send it.

With Unique you would do fine using the top end 1 oz. load recipes under the 7/8 oz. slug but I am sure you would be able to get more powder and velocity with 7/8 oz. specific loads.

Longbow

OnHoPr
10-03-2013, 02:53 PM
I'm not quite sure but if you stiffened the wad column a bit you shouldn't have any troubles. Just a thought since you're shooting in florida and not north of the 40th parallel in December.