PDA

View Full Version : Cheap loaner rifle

chickenstripe
09-26-2013, 08:48 PM
Give me some ideas for a cheap loaner deer rifle. Something used and in a common "Wal-Mart" caliber (ammo available at Wal-Mart).

Cheap is relative, but give me some rifle ideas, with prices that you've seen them selling for.

possom813
09-26-2013, 08:55 PM
Handi-Rifles can be had for under $300

Or a mosin, can be found for under $200, usually. Not much ammo my wallyworld, but 180sp's are usually in stock at Cabelas.

Love Life
09-26-2013, 08:56 PM
I saw a brand new Remington 700 SPS chambered in .243 Winchester at the local Wal-Mart for $414.99 before tax and transfer fees. Come to think of it I may go back and get it as it is cheaper than just a Remington 700 receiver from Brownells.

To the truck-mobile!!!

starmac
09-26-2013, 09:10 PM
Savage, marlin both make very affordable rifles in many popular (wallmart) calibers. Thesecn be had for less than most used rifles and are hunt servicable right out of the box.

This would likely be a matter of location to make the right choice.

dbosman
09-26-2013, 09:30 PM
Allegedly almost any street corner in any big city.

Love Life
09-26-2013, 09:30 PM
Well, for a loaner I would get a 458 Lott in a 6 pound synthetic stocked rifle. That'll teach 'em to borrow your stuff!!

oscarflytyer
09-26-2013, 09:36 PM
Savage Axis, Ruger American, Stevens. LGS had all three under $350 w/ scope. 308/30-06/270 and 7-08 (not QUITE as common...)

DCM
09-26-2013, 09:37 PM
Loaning to who?
If it is a full grown adult that can afford their own I gotta go with Love Lifes' suggestion.
Small framed first time hunters get to borrow my Handi in 243, easy on the shoulder, easy on my pocket book, single shot to help make every shot count.

Artful
09-26-2013, 09:49 PM
I've loaned out guns in the past - I won't do it anymore unless I'm going with the shooter. Having said that I used to keep a SMLE 303 with brass plate to leave an impression on those who "he-man" 'd a real rifle. I have also loaned out my Marlin 336 30-30 - after hunting/holiday season's over you can usually find them pretty cheap. Mosin's a good choice, the Handi-rifle is as well. Remember to never loan something that you are afraid to loose.

flounderman
09-26-2013, 10:01 PM
Get to know the pawn shops. Never pay asking price.

Outpost75
09-26-2013, 10:05 PM
I don't loan rifles, but we do keep a Moisin at the hunting camp as a spare gun in casexsomebody's scope fogs, etc. The M91 is filed in to zero at 50 yards with 180-grain PPU softpoints, and has killed seven deer in ten years. Cost $75.

bikerbeans
09-26-2013, 10:30 PM
Well, for a loaner I would get a 458 Lott in a 6 pound synthetic stocked rifle. That'll teach 'em to borrow your stuff!!

A six pound Lott? I'll take it!:bigsmyl2:

BB

MtGun44
09-26-2013, 10:58 PM
Stevens package rifle is basically a Savage 10 or 110 with a scope factory mounted.

IIRC they were about $359 a year or two ago. Accurate and very workable. Current
Savage web site shows Stevens without scopes for $420 MSRP.

Bill

alrighty
09-26-2013, 11:15 PM
For a loaner I would get something in a caliber you already have.Two reasons , I assume they are going to be hunting in your party so whatever caliber has worked for you should also work for them.Of course you may have thickets as well as long fields , if so that does not apply.
The second reason is due to as you mentioned ammo availability.Ammo is starting to show back up but this last shortage should have everyone thinking about what could happen.All it would take is another village idiot with a stolen gun on a suicide mission to change what little ammo has started showing back up.Just my .02

JonB_in_Glencoe
09-26-2013, 11:22 PM
The short answer: a sporterized mil surp.

Recently, I bought a 'well done' sporterized P1917 eddystone 30-06 for the same price of a New Savage. I'd much rather have that old sporter, than a new savage. Yeah it's heavy, but tough as nails. It's the first gun in my collection I'd consider loaning out...that or one of my Jap sporters, but I'd have to provide ammo with the gun...those calibers are scarce.
good Luck,

09-26-2013, 11:25 PM
Check out your local gun shop's used rack. You never know............... I like the idea of the Handi-Rifle. Simple as it gets.

Mk42gunner
09-26-2013, 11:40 PM
My first thought was a used FN Mauser, possibly a Sears branded one in .270 or .30-06, with a 4X scope. The last one I saw (pre-panic) was under $400.

A good pawn shop special .30-30 will do for probably 97% of the Whitetail deer hunting in North America.

Beggars can't be chooser's.

Robert

texassako
09-26-2013, 11:57 PM
We used to have a loaner or 2 available. Usually something off the used rack in .30-06. Now we just tell them no after realizing it was just to much hassle dealing with the "rental" mentality. We offer to help them pick out an appropriate rifle of their own instead. Problem with a milsurp is we had one guy wonder why he couldn't shoot deer with his can full of random surplus cartridges he had brought for an K98 sporter we had at the time. He thought the colors on the tips were for decoration.

MaryB
09-27-2013, 01:08 AM
Chinese type 53(Mosin Nagant M44) for $125, I can get ammo from my LGS

Bad Water Bill
09-27-2013, 01:17 AM
SEARS Sporterized Mauser - scope.

Back in the GOOD OLD DAYS the catalog sold them for $29.95. I bought a bunch just for the actions.

I think I still have one of those stocks around somewhere.[smilie=s:

Lead Fred
09-27-2013, 02:35 AM
I see $200 bolt guns in the paper all the time.
If it were Me, Id go Handi
I like each and every one. Ive sold tons of them, from 223 to 45/70

missionary5155
09-27-2013, 05:58 AM
Good morning
Years back bought 3 1916 Mausers the Israeli's had rebarreled to caliber 7.62x 51 (308). Less that $70 delivered. I still have mine. Son up in Minn. got a wolf tag this year.. guess what he is dragging out into the woods for public service.
Still lots of solid Mausers in military configuration out there that will take care of any task.
MIke in Peru

bob208
09-27-2013, 06:05 AM
I have a number 1 with p-h peep sight. paid $60 for it. I would let some of my friends use it. it shot the 311299 bullet real good. I would let them shoot it then give them 2 stripper clips of that load.
that rifle and load killed more then one deer. I always got some steaks back with the rifle.

Zymurgy50
09-27-2013, 08:49 AM
Just one little problem, THERE IS NO AMMO AT WALMART!!!!
unless you are looking for 12ga. shotshells

thekidd76
09-27-2013, 09:03 AM
Give me some ideas for a cheap loaner deer rifle. Something used and in a common "Wal-Mart" caliber (ammo available at Wal-Mart).

Cheap is relative, but give me some rifle ideas, with prices that you've seen them selling for.

My local Walmart hasn't had any ammo, pistol or rifle, since last December, so I wouldn't know what caliber might be. :bigsmyl2:

john hayslip
09-27-2013, 11:53 AM
I just purchased a Ruger American in 243 at the local Wally world = I went in looking for foam and figured they were the only place in town. Paid $358 + tax and I probably could have found it a little bit cheaper had I looked around but it was in the caliber I wanted and was AVAILABLE. Shot it once yesterday over the chronograph at blank target board. Have 50 cases primed and detailed ready to put in powder and bullet. Hope to really check it out today. So far I'm impressed with it for the price I paid.

bob208
09-27-2013, 12:38 PM
another good rifle would be a post 64 model 94 Winchester in .30-30. every body has .30-30 ammo even the most far back country store.

10x
09-27-2013, 08:37 PM
I have a Parker Hale in 303 with a Bushnell scope that gets loaned. It keeps it's zero and will keep bullets under 2" at 100 yards.
The gun survived two world wars, it should survive being loaned to a "friend".

Thin Man
09-28-2013, 08:10 AM
The word "cheap" is relative to your ability to pay. That said, I would hit all of the local pawn shops and start browsing their selections of used rifles starting with the lowest priced and working upward. Unfortunately, this is the wrong time to shop, now when many other people are looking for a new rig to take to the woods and the selections are going to be thin. I have found the best time for bargain shopping is Feb. - April when the Christmas (had to hock it to pay for presents) pawns have been pulled and sales are slow (hunting season is over and the shoppers are gone fishing). If the rifle feels right in the hand and on the shoulder, it would even suit you as a foul weather boomer so you could get out in the woods and not worry about damaging your treasured rifle. As for calibers, that is always a roll of the dice with the poor availability of ammo. Surely you know someone who reloads... If it sounds like I have followed this format for several years, yup, you got me figured out. Good luck.
Thin man

starmac
09-28-2013, 02:23 PM
You guys would probably consider all my rifles cheap loaner rifles. Any one I take to the woods gets used, not worried about. I don't intend to ding them, or step in a whole and wind up to my neck in a swamp, or dump the canoe, but if I do, I don't want to be worried about a rifle.

TXGunNut
09-28-2013, 02:57 PM
My loaner is a Winchester 670 in 30-06 named Annie. It's Ol' Ugly's sister, used to call her Even Uglier until I swapped out the stock, scope, rings & bases and cleaned her up a bit. She out-shoots almost every rifle in my safe so she's ready whenever my cousin gets a kitchen pass, will make an excellent backup rifle as well.

beezapilot
09-28-2013, 03:30 PM
Just back from a gun show- my goodness how prices have fluctuated. Lots of inventory, prices all over the board- Saw a couple of nice 336's in the $3-350 range, a very nice 1100 (that someone tried to learn engraving on by putting his initials on the receiver) for $300, used field guns seemed reasonable (along with some desperate AR platform sellers- "No really, it's worth $1200 I just paid $1600 for it six months ago!!)
Point being that there are some decent deals out there in the used market...

Harter66
09-28-2013, 04:36 PM
Big 5 sporting goods has Mil-surps Mosins, Mausers,etc some of them a ragged but shoot ok . The last go around they were $160 plus tax,title,doc,fet,etc. I was told recently the Axis's were 275 at Wally World out here.

Of course ya never know about yd sales my Dad was looking around being nosey and got a 1908 and 1916 7x57 complete bbl'd actions. $80 for a Boyds stock ,10 for Tru-oil, 1st trip w/random ammo parts 3'' 100 yd group. A while back I picked up a 760 w/a 2.5x25 ''T'' post scope for $200 and a 7.7 Japanese buba w/ Williams sights for 140 add a call to 4D reamers and in an hour or so it's an 06'. I got a CVA Frontier 50 cal for $80 mailed too.

429421Cowboy
09-29-2013, 02:03 AM
With as many youngsters as we seem to have been taking lately from locals to our hunter ed students that don't have a hunting family member close by I have really been thinking about getting a youth Axis in .243 or 7mm-08 since we don't really have a rifle that is ideal for smaller statured shooters. They can be had for about $270 around here for the combo. Of course this would be a rifle that gets used and practiced with, but would never actually be "borrowed" out of my sight or control.

What I seem to get more requests to borrow is a shotgun these days, specifically a 12 gauge and I sure as heck ain't loaning the only one I have out! My best friend has my 20 gauge till he gets another 12 but there is only so much a 2 3/4" 20 can do. I found a High Standard 3" 12 in Helena the other day for $180 that I have been thinking about getting, seems hard to pass that up and everybody can always stand to have an extra 12 around.

starmac
09-29-2013, 02:18 AM
I got my first 20 gauge when I wa 9 years old, I couldn't wait to move up to a 12, and bought my first on at 13. I have been thinking lately, that that old 20 actually did everything I needed it for those few years, so am now thinking about going the other way. lol

Swamp Man
09-29-2013, 05:48 AM
What about some of those Rossi Combo gun sets? There cheap and come with 2,3,4 different calibers barrels.

JonB_in_Glencoe
09-29-2013, 08:59 AM
I got my first 20 gauge when I wa 9 years old, I couldn't wait to move up to a 12, and bought my first on at 13. I have been thinking lately, that that old 20 actually did everything I needed it for those few years, so am now thinking about going the other way. lol

Somewhere in my younger years ( 10,11, or 12 Yrs old), My Dad bought a Winchester 20ga pump for me...I never got to shoot it. He loved that one so much. Which was OK with me, I received his 870 wingmaster 12 ga that he shot in a trap league for many many years...at that age, I didn't really know how 'loose' that gun was, but it was reliable and it was a 12ga and none of my friends had one. I loved that gun.

Just a few years ago, My dad handed over all his guns to me since they never got used anymore due to his health. That 20 was in the batch...while it was never an expensive gun, it still looks like new.

TXGunNut
09-29-2013, 09:32 AM
After 429421Cowboy's post I'm wondering what "loaner" means. To me it's a rifle I take to the range or on a hunt to get a new hunter into the sport without them having to make a purchase and all that entails. It's a rifle I don't have much invested in, financially or emotionally. If it gets a few dings or a little rough use it won't upset me. The point of the exercise, for me anyway, is to help them decide if they like hunting and want to make the investment of time & money in the hunting sport. Besides, it's a great excuse to have an extra rifle lying around!
Most extended hunts I have primary & secondary rifles, a backup/bad weather rifle, and now I have a loaner rifle to take along if the opportunity arises.

chickenstripe
10-06-2013, 10:37 AM
UPDATE

The loaner rifle has been purchased!!

Glenfield model 30A, 30-30, with a 4X apollo scope (which I have never heard of).

It was a fun search!!

Thanks for all the input!

ironhead7544
10-06-2013, 11:16 AM
UPDATE

The loaner rifle has been purchased!!

Glenfield model 30A, 30-30, with a 4X apollo scope (which I have never heard of).

It was a fun search!!

Thanks for all the input!

Perfect! Low recoil and accurate. Should be able to get ammo. Most shops here have 7mm/08 and 7mm Rem. Mag ammo for some reason.

jsizemore
10-06-2013, 01:29 PM
The only consistent ammo I've seen has been 270, 30-06 & 308.

Artful
10-06-2013, 08:54 PM
Good Choice - now load up a bunch of cheap to shoot practice ammo with CAST and get it sighted in.
Remember if you give them 100 rounds they will shoot most of 'em in practice and can actually hit a
deer.

savagetactical
10-07-2013, 05:26 PM
Thuty thuty ought to do it..

razerok1
10-07-2013, 10:15 PM
marlin xs7 or xl7 in what ever caliber is most available in your area.

fouronesix
10-07-2013, 10:45 PM

Yep, I loaned a rifle once- many moons ago. The DA dropped it in a boulder field. Wasn't an el cheapo rifle either! Never again. Especially now given the litigation driven society we live in.

So I like the 458 Lott in a light weight idea!! Actually I know of a gunsmith who caters to well healed global hunters. By necessity, most have spent more time making money than learning about hunting or shooting. A high percentage going to Africa bring up the latest big boomer they heard talk of around cocktails or from Safari Club buds. They come in and order some expensive custom rifle in a caliber producing at least 6500 ft lbs of energy, fallallllallllaa, etc. He suggests something on the order of a 416 Mag or 458 WM in a fairly heavy config. They usually emphatically scoff at such and insist on some "real dangerous game caliber". But, before he even starts on the gun or takes a deposit, he hands them a Ruger 1 in 458 WM, a box of factory ammo and sends them to the range. Almost without exception they return having had an "attitude readjustment". :)

FLINTNFIRE
10-07-2013, 11:22 PM
I to loaned a rifle once , with ammo , person took rifle deer and elk hunting , got it back after season , pitted bore rust under forearm , it was obvious they shot it and carried it in rain and probably into warm house from outside and only wiped the exposed surfaces .

Asked them if they wanted to buy it at about a third of the worth before the abuse , and they were tickled to do so , always have wondered how it looks now . Never again without being there when the loaner is used .

1Shirt
10-09-2013, 10:37 AM
Best advice is don't loan unless you really don't want it back! Or---loan it to your son or son in law as they probably will figure it is part of their inheritance!
1Shirt!