PDA

View Full Version : .62 smoothie build recommendations

james6600
09-26-2013, 08:37 PM
I have been wanting a .62 smooth bore for a while now but know nothing of the parts makers. I have looked at TOW's, North Star West and a few others, I can't afford a $2000+ custom built gun. Is there any advise on subbing lock brands or barrels . I would like it to be period correct parts to 1812 or earlier (Or enough probability to argue the fact to 1812 reenactors), be capable of competing at shoots, and it will probably become my primary hunting weapon here in Indiana. I have no experience with flint locks but do know I need a quality lock with a sufficiently hard frizzen. Most of the prices don't vary that much between components so I don't mind spending a little more if one brand component is better. I prefer an English or American straight stock over the curved French style. What I'm looking for is replies from people who have built these guns either in kit or component form and if there are things they would like to upgrade or change if and when they built another gun. I believe there are a couple of members here that build for these companies and if you have input on your products or would help me design a kit and would rather PM me that would be fine. Mississinewa 1812 is a few miles from my house and Friendship is not to far away so my interests the past few years have been shifting from my modern weapons back to sidelocks, recurves and now flint, must be age.

waksupi
09-27-2013, 12:09 AM
I build guns for North Star West. You can get a good smooth bore for well under $2000 from us. Tell Matt, Ric sent you.

Ajax
09-27-2013, 05:26 AM
I can vouch for Ric's ability. If he tells you they make a good gun you can bet the bank on it. Here is one he built for me. Not a smooth bore but definitely a work of art. https://www.dropbox.com/sh/r7sh173vp5dfk4l/49yGhEp0EH

Andy

KCSO
09-27-2013, 09:26 AM
I have a Tulle built and ready to go on the wall $850 plus shiping.

bedbugbilly
09-27-2013, 08:04 PM
James - I just sent you a pm

james6600
09-27-2013, 11:32 PM
Excess650 brings up some good points that I will try to address. I do not want a patchbox, cheekpiece or a rear sight, if need be I believe rules allow notching the tang. As for length I am not a fast response shooter nor do I hunt thick brush so length doesn't bother me I (usually) prefer it. Trade guns sparked my interest in flintlocks but I want a better adorned gun so I have been thinking a fowler or maybe the Chiefs gun from North. Correct me if I am wrong but I thought all mainstream current production oct/rd barrels are the thicker type built for buck&ball. You mentioned guards, are you talking flash guards or something else? As far as building one I have no problem doing that, it's the engraving/etching I have never attempted before.

james6600
09-29-2013, 11:28 AM
Excess650 as soon as you said trigger guard I knew what you meant, I was tired when I asked for clarification and trigger guard never came to mind. The different schools are something I just started learning about, do you have a recommendation on a good first book? I have an old smooth bore cap lock you and others might have an interest in seeing, It is well worn and crude on construction more of a barn or boys gun. It has two English proof marks that put the barrel from 1813 to the 1850's, If they are not new stamps like Track sells. I will get some pictures and start a new thread for this.