PDA

View Full Version : A Sonic-Crack Theory

HollowPoint
09-26-2013, 06:35 PM
I wasn't sure exactly where to post this particular subject but, since it will be a future project for me I decided to put it here.

One of the luxuries of being an Ignorant No-Engineering-Background kind of guy is that it allows one to think outside the box when it comes to dreaming of ways to accomplish something that the experts say can't be done.

I'm not an engineer or a machinist, and I'm not an accomplished CAD/CAM software kind of guy. I'm just a No-Name-Goober with a computer, some machinery and a million ideas with not enough time in the day to bring the vast majority of those ideas to fruition.

For the longest time I've dreamt of building my own rifle suppressor but, I have yet to accumulate the expendable funds to apply for my tax stamp.

I already have my design worked up in my brain. It's just a matter of getting all my other ducks in a row; so to speak. I have the metal working machines to do the work and I have the design software to draw up my schematics; it's just that there are so many other things that are more important than a new rifle suppressor right now; or in the foreseeable future for that matter. As a result, I've had to repeatedly put this particular dream on the back-burner.

As is always the case for me and my ideas, one project tends to lead into another project that will hopefully enhance the previous project. It's just a vicious cycle. This future suppressor project is no different.

With this suppressor project in mind, I've been wondering how I might make an efficient suppressor even quieter to shoot without going to "Sub-Sonic-Loads?" I've done alot of informal research on the internet and most of what I've come up with has been hear-say; just folks repeating what they've read or heard somewhere else and passing it off as personal experience. I know this to be true because much of what I've read from various sources is the same word-for-word text I've read from the original authors.

From what I've been able to gather, I think I've comeup with a new suppressor-baffle design; I mean, different from anyone else's. I won't know if it will live up to the expectations that I've dreamed of until I actually put it together though.

Having said this, if my suppressor design does turn out to be as efficient as I dream it will there is still the matter of the "Sonic-Crack" that generally works against the small percentage of the noise suppression gains that a good suppressor achieves.

So, here's the real reason for this post.

I've come up with an "Outside the Box" theory about eliminating or at the very least, mitigating the "Sonic-Crack" of full power "Super-Sonic" loads.

First off let me say this; I have it on good authority that, "There Is No New Thing Under The Sun" so, who knows, this idea may have very well already been tried and failed but, in my informal research I wasn't able to find any evidence of such attempts other than bullet coatings similar to the paint used on Stealth aircraft having been tried. (which didn't even come close to addressing the root cause of "Sonic-Booms/Cracks.)

If you've ever searched for information on what exactly causes a "Sonic-Boom" or a "Sonic-Crack" in the case of a bullet flying through the air; to put into the simplest of terms I can think of, it has to do with the pressure waves that stack up ahead of our bullets traveling through the air at "Super-Sonic-Speed."

In trying to figure out a way around the friction and air-resistance that our "Super-Sonic" bullets encounter while in flight, I couldn't come up with any ideas to counter the air resistance. In attempting to do so, I came away with a better understanding of why the experts say it can't be done.

But, being the Ignorant-No-Engineering-Background kind of guy that I am, I decided to come at it from a different angle.

In order to simplify the explanation of my solution for this "Sonic-Boom" phenomenon I'll use the following analogy so that I make a little more sense; I hope.

Picture the tunnel-boring machinery used to dig underground tunnels for subways or trains and such. If engineers had used a long sharp very-low-drag metal rod with a hydraulic press to push it forward to overcome the friction and resistance of the earth they were tunneling through, how far and how fast would their progress be?

Even our most efficient conventional bullet designs meet the same type of resistance when they fly through the air at "Super-Sonic" speeds. And this is in spite of the fact that air-molecules are alot less dense than the earth that the earth-moving equipment encounters.

I have yet to machine any prototypes of this bullet design so I can't even say for sure if it will work or not but, the premise of my theory is that my bullets won't be slicing through the air as with conventional bullet designs. They'll be boring through the air using both the forward momentum (fps) that the propellant gases impart and the rotational momentum that the rifling imparts. (rpm's)

This is an overly simplified explanation of course but, I'm hoping you get the idea of what my theory is based on.

Although any prototypes I make will be done using brass or copper rod, even with cast bullets traveling at the lower end of the "Super-Sonic" spectrum (in a 30 caliber for example) the RPM's are many times faster than the velocity/FPS's. The Impeller-Affect of my theoretical bullet design (Not Propellor but Impeller) -in theory- should bore through the air that would have otherwise stacked up ahead of the "Super-Sonic" projectile and thereby mitigate or possibly even eliminate the "Sonic-Crack."

The image below is NOT to scale. I drew it up to give you an idea of what I'm trying to explain. The configuration of the Impeller-Fins (height, pitch, number and length and angle of the boat tail) would have to be calibrated to the RPM's of the bullets in flight so that they suck air faster than the pressure waves can stack up ahead of them.

Wether you believe it to be plausible or not is your business. I do intend to test my theory at some point in the future. My reason for posting this potentially laughable theory was to show those here who may be trapped inside the proverbial box that there's a whole lot more to cast bullets than what's visible from inside this cast-bullets-box. You just have to look for it.

You just have to dream it up. If it actually worked it would be "Ground-Breaking." If it dosn't work, so what! At least somebody tried.

HollowPoint

W.R.Buchanan
09-26-2013, 07:54 PM
Looks like the Screws on the Nautilus.

The bullet and the pointed example you gave above both "displace" the medium they are traveling thru. AS opposed to the boring machine which is grinding up the material on the face of the cutting surface and transferring it to behind the machine for disposal.

Your bullet shown above does exactly the same thing is just has vanes as the first example (but will displace even more media due to the mass of the fins.) to help it screw it's way thru the air.

The displacement occurs either way. You can't break the sound barrier with out physically breaking the pressure wave. You can't just slice thru it, even trying to push a knife edge thru the barrier,,, still breaks the barrier.

If you listen to the various types of reports from different caliber guns you will see Pop, crack, really loud earsplitting crack, pow, and BOOM. The speed at which the barrier is broken and the frontal area of the projectile govern which type of noise you get. IE: big and slow = BOOM! Very fast small dia. = earsplitter. Fill in blanks with your own experience.

I am not in any way telling you to not try what you are attempting. You never know it may work, plus that, I might be FOS!

Randy

HollowPoint
09-26-2013, 09:49 PM
"I am not in any way telling you to not try what you are attempting. You never know it may work, plus that, I might be FOS!"

In my mind's eye I see it as being plausible. And I know that I may very well be the one who's FOS.

The Nautlis example is pretty good. Although it was a fictional submarine, it did drill thru the water in the same manner that I envisioned this bullet design drilling thru the air; minus the audible shock wave.

Successful or not, I do intend to try it. It's a design that can actually be tested on the bench-top by turning scaled up versions of the same design. This will confirm the plausability. This will also let me tweak the Impeller-Fins to the angle and shape that will displace the most air for a given velocity.

But, I'm getting ahead of myself now. I still have to finish my present projects.

Wether it works or not, I'll make it a point to let you all know.

HollowPoint

gspgundog
09-26-2013, 10:14 PM
Keep us up to date as you progress, sounds very interesting to another "Ignorant-No-Engineering-Background" guy who knows he is Foxtrot Oscar Sierra. lol

koehlerrk
09-26-2013, 10:24 PM
OK, HollowPoint... time for a physics lesson. Well, a couple, and some fluid dynamics too.

In laymans terms, what causes a "sonic boom"? Contrary to popular thought, it is NOT caused by an object traveling faster than the speed of sound. Rocket, airplane, bullet, the object does not cause the sonic boom. Time to back up a step.

When traveling sub-sonic, air can freely move around an object, rather like water flowing around a boat. Now, the faster you go, the faster the water has to move to get out of the boats' way. Eventually, it can't move out of the way fast enough and piles up to both sides. (Real world, it gets displaced all around, but both sides is good enough for this lesson.) Now, when something is moving faster than most boats can dream of, something very strange happens. The water behind the boat gets blasted so far out of the way that it forms a vacuum behind the boat. When the water rushes back in, the vacuum bubble collapses, and we get a very loud noise.

Air can be thought of as just very low viscosity water. At high enough speeds, the effects are similar. So, the bullet pushes the air out of it's way, and a vacuum forms behind it. When the air rushes back in to fill the vacuum, the air from one side collides with the air from the other side, which is heading in the opposite direction, and we get a miniature head-on collision. That is the sound you're hearing.

To date, no one has developed a way to eliminate this effect. However, keep thinking about it, and who knows, you just might be the one who solves it.

wv109323
09-26-2013, 10:28 PM
I would like to see you try it but I think what you have designed is a rotational wing. Today's un-finned bullets create a slight pressure differential from the top to the bottom of the bullet. This pressure differential creates a slight yawl in the bullets flight. I think your design will magnify that effect many times over and un-stabilize the bullet. But what do I know.
Boring machines do not "pull" themselves into the material being cut. The rotating drum with cutting bits is pushed by a traction system of the machine. The heavier the machine the more traction or pushing effect the machine can generate. There is no such thing as a small boring machine that bores a big hole.
I have seen an idea somewhat like yours. The Army was looking at smart bullets. The bullets would be finned with a means to adjust the fins. The bullet would have a camera. The bullet would be fired and then the fins adjusted ( via a controlling device) to "steer" the bullet into the intended target. Of course the camera would be used for forward looking.
Staying inside the box gets boring. Do you by chance read the National Inquirer?

W.R.Buchanan
09-26-2013, 10:37 PM
From "the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen" the Nautilus from that movie had screws like your bullet.

Just saw it again last week.

The first underwater marine propellers looked like large wood screws. This is how they got the name "Screws."

First thing I thought of when I saw your picture.

Randy

leeggen
09-26-2013, 10:41 PM
Hollowpoint you might contact Oldpara from "Phillips anyone" I beleive he has a bullet shape that screws in the same rotation as the twist. He plays alot with different designs of bullets just for fun. He might just beable to produce it for you or help some.
CD

waksupi
09-26-2013, 11:36 PM
Keep on thinking. You're not the first guy here who has tried to beat physics. No one has been successful yet, but give 'er a shot! [smilie=p:

Oreo
09-26-2013, 11:54 PM
What about an exagerated boat tail bullet where the boat tail is an inch or so long and goes almost to a sharp point? Granted, gyroscopic stability would be a serious issue but just in terms of reducing the "vaccuum bubble collapse / head-on collision" thing, it would be more helpful.

huntincowboy
09-27-2013, 01:48 AM
If you watch this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OubvTOHWTms&feature=youtube_gdata_player from 3:27 you can see a pretty good representation of what's going on. It's the pocket created behind the bullet and the stacked air (water) rushing back in. When the bubble collapses, this is where the boom comes from. Water is nearly incompressible, far more viscous, and represents far more mass than a similar volume of air so the bullet isn't likely moving supersonic in the video, but the bubble is clearly visible. If you look on YouTube at jets and stuff and maybe look into some video captured by a Schlieren device maybe you can further develop your ideas. Good luck! Keep us updated!

220swiftfn
09-27-2013, 02:54 AM
What about an exagerated boat tail bullet where the boat tail is an inch or so long and goes almost to a sharp point? Granted, gyroscopic stability would be a serious issue but just in terms of reducing the "vaccuum bubble collapse / head-on collision" thing, it would be more helpful.

Saw something like that in an old American Rifleman (in their "75 or 100 years ago" section.) It was a sabotted round that looked pretty much the same from the front as it did from the back. Kinda like someone melded two Sierra Matchkings, the rear ogive starting where the boattail would be, with a bored hole completely thru the center. IIRC, this was an attempt to drastically improve the ballistic coefficient to gain range. Unfortunately, it proved to be VERY unstable.....

Dan

jmorris
09-27-2013, 09:07 AM
I think your bullet could make some neat noise on its own.

Are your vanes going to match the twist of the rifling?

You gave me an idea. What if you hollowed out a bullet like the old "cookie cutter" PMC Ultramag bullets from the '80's (that were discontinued because the idea was already patented http://patent.ipexl.com/inventor/Abraham_Flatau_1.html) and put a whistle in the center. Then your suppressed shots could sound just like the movies.

Don't laugh too hard, there are people buying "zombie" ammuntion these days...

Artful
09-27-2013, 09:25 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cp5gdUHFGIQ
AK in air with schlieren photography
http://www.divshare.com/img/5690435-008.jpg

NASA attempt at minimizing the sonic boom for supersonic flight
http://www.nasa.gov/vision/earth/improvingflight/supersonic_jousting.html
http://www.nasa.gov/images/content/160005main_quietspike_flight.jpg
http://www.nasa.gov/images/content/160004main_quietspike.jpg
boom extends to start the smaller sonic bow wave so that the rest of the jet is inside of it

jmorris
09-27-2013, 09:26 AM
"Outside the box" bullet designs are not new. Some, like the hollow point or conical bullet become quite popular. Other designs don't make it much further than paper. http://www.google.com.mx/patents/US4665827

dudel
09-27-2013, 09:33 AM
Air can be thought of as just very low viscosity water. At high enough speeds, the effects are similar. So, the bullet pushes the air out of it's way, and a vacuum forms behind it. When the air rushes back in to fill the vacuum, the air from one side collides with the air from the other side, which is heading in the opposite direction, and we get a miniature head-on collision. That is the sound you're hearing.

Interesting. What if the bullet looked like a ring or tube, with a wad in the base to contain initial pressure, drop off (like a shotshell wad). Would there be less displacement since there would be flow through the bullet?

I have absolutely no ideas if this would be stable or what effect it would have if you could hit a target with it. It would certainly be light.

HollowPoint
09-27-2013, 10:38 AM
In answer to some of the questions posed in your replies; yes, no, maybe and I won't know until I try.

I'm not trying to change the laws of physics. I'm just trying to apply them in a slightly different way that most are used to.

Trying to reinvent the wheel, You Can't Change the laws of physics, Just because it looks like it might work doesn't mean will. Are there any more cliches out there that we can get out of the way right up front?

Virtually all the information posted in these replies is some of the same information I came across while doing my informal research; including the videos. In fact, it was that AK youtube video shooting under water that kind of gave me the ideas for this theory.

It kind of makes me happy to see that most of us are on the same page. It means that my feeble attempt at explaining my theory made just a little sense to some of you.

I'll keep plucking away at it as time permits.

HollowPoint

Sensai
09-27-2013, 12:08 PM
Just wandering aimlessly through my mind, but if the whole projectile is traveling super-sonic then to do any "digging" the vanes will have to be the first part to enter the air. Otherwise they will be covered by the wave front created by the nose and not have any exposure to the compressed waves. They would also need to have the equivalent of winglets to prevent shock wave escape from the outside edges. Of course winglets would produce a wave front that would obscure the "digging" vanes again. My head hurts!

Willbird
09-27-2013, 12:27 PM
If it is actually cavitation (and I think it might qualify) then the effect is a LOT bigger than the bullet itself.

Bill

Bent Ramrod
09-27-2013, 01:27 PM
I was always taught that the sonic "boom" is the shock wave that forms at the front of the moving object when it reaches the Mach number for the medium it is going through. A similar wave also forms wherever a leading surface on the sides can build up such a wave. You can see them in spark (and more modern) photographs in wind tunnels as a "stern and bow wave." The cavitation behind the projectile is just a minor disturbance compared to this. As far as I know, there is no way to avoid this; if it was a matter of cavitation, jet planes would be as quiet going through the sound barrier as muffled blade helicopters and people living near air bases would complain less to the base commanders.

That bullet design is pretty interesting, though. Might make an interesting whistling noise (perhaps supersonic for most of the flight).

markinalpine
09-27-2013, 01:32 PM
How about a sabot to hold the bullet when it is in the barrel and to provide a gas seal, while the bullet has an axial through hole to allow the air to pass from the tip to the base after the bullet exits the barrel and the sabot drops off?
Just a thought! :veryconfu
Mark :coffeecom

EDIT: I remembered I had this picture uploaded already!

williamwaco
09-27-2013, 01:32 PM
Hate to be a party pooper but the US Government can't do it with airplanes.

Even the most advanced stealth airplanes have to fly sub-sonic to be quiet.

fouronesix
09-27-2013, 02:18 PM
Hate to be a party pooper but the US Government can't do it with airplanes.

Even the most advanced stealth airplanes have to fly sub-sonic to be quiet.

Yep, me too and hate to be another party pooper. No way around it. ANY KIND or SHAPE of solid object that travels super sonic through the air will generate a "sonic" compression wave with the resulting sound. Additonally, the bullet is not the only thing that produces a sonic "crack" when fired. Even if the bullet leaves the muzzle a little sub sonic, the gasses leaving the muzzle, just as the bullet leaves, may be super sonic and can also emit the "crack".

huntincowboy
09-27-2013, 02:56 PM
Yep, me too and hate to be another party pooper. No way around it. ANY KIND or SHAPE of solid object that travels super sonic through the air will generate a "sonic" compression wave with the resulting sound. Additonally, the bullet is not the only thing that produces a sonic "crack" when fired. Even if the bullet leaves the muzzle a little sub sonic, the gasses leaving the muzzle, just as the bullet leaves, may be super sonic and can also emit the "crack".

I think OP was talking about developing a bullet that would allow the maximum reduction of sound with supersonic ammo fired from a suppressor.

salty dog
09-27-2013, 03:06 PM
You gave me an idea. What if you hollowed out a bullet like the old "cookie cutter" PMC Ultramag bullets from the '80's (that were discontinued because the idea was already patented http://patent.ipexl.com/inventor/Abraham_Flatau_1.html) and put a whistle in the center. Then your suppressed shots could sound just like the movies.

Don't laugh too hard, there are people buying "zombie" ammuntion these days...

You could us those deer whistles that you install on your bumper and are supposed to alarm the deer so much that they flee in terror. Just put the whistle in backwards and the deer would be irresistibly drawn to the shot. Presto! self guided deer bullets.

Gibbs44
09-27-2013, 05:46 PM
Good luck in your endeavor sir, it should be an interesting project getting a bullet into that shape to say the least.

Artful, that was probably one of the coolest videos I've ever seen, thanks for sharing that.

fouronesix
09-27-2013, 06:14 PM
I think OP was talking about developing a bullet that would allow the maximum reduction of sound with supersonic ammo fired from a suppressor.

Thought the thread was open to all ideas. No? Successfully suppressing a large caliber rifle round will require at least a large coffee can or larger size suppresser. Forget the finned bullet- the engineering of that will take all the skill and knowledge few have plus a lot of blown up parts during the "testing" process.

So to the finned contraption bullet. How in the world would putting fins on the nose of a bullet reduce sonic crack- no matter if the fins are pitched to push or pull through the air based on twist rate of the bore??? The exposed nose of the bullet will generate a compression wave PLUS each leading edge of each fin will have it's own compression wave. Even if a finned or hollow or corkscrew or cubic or sprinkled with fairy dust or whatever supersonic bullet in combination with some suppresser reduced sonic crack, I bet it would be a tack driver :) Sorry I entered this thread.

Artful
09-27-2013, 06:26 PM
Successfully suppressing a large caliber rifle round will require at least a large coffee can or larger size suppresser.

NOT that large really - 7.62x54R M38 Mosin Scout with AAC Cyclone .308 can.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v355/rowdyfisk/Misc/th_0612112302.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/rowdyfisk/media/Misc/0612112302.jpg.html)
click pic to enlarge

jmorris
09-27-2013, 07:04 PM
You could us those deer whistles that you install on your bumper and are supposed to alarm the deer so much that they flee in terror. Just put the whistle in backwards and the deer would be irresistibly drawn to the shot. Presto! self guided deer bullets.

Now, that is thinking outside the box.

Successfully suppressing a large caliber rifle round will require at least a large coffee can or larger size suppresser.

No, my 458 socom suppressor is only 2" in diameter and it makes less noise than my factory (AAC) cans.

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o213/jmorrismetal/can/DSC02435.jpg

It does have a lot of volume but to keep it short(er) it telescopes back over the barrel.

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o213/jmorrismetal/can/sxsxs.jpg

Artful
09-27-2013, 07:15 PM
Have your guys seen this test chart with 308 caliber bullets?
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v355/rowdyfisk/Misc/Hartikka_bullet_noise_graph.gif (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/rowdyfisk/media/Misc/Hartikka_bullet_noise_graph.gif.html)
Notice they tried two different conventional bullet shapes to see if it made a difference in sound signiture - it didn't at supersonic speeds.

Smaller projectiles at supersonic speeds make smaller sonic booms
larger projectiles at supersonic speeds make larger sonic booms....

Using same suppressor with 7.62x51, 7.62x54R and 243 - the 243 is quieter even though the baffles in the can are less efficient because the 243 bullet makes a smaller sonic boom.

Artful
09-27-2013, 07:22 PM
Nice .458 SOCOM project is the can a Form 1 then?

huntincowboy
09-27-2013, 07:49 PM
Thought the thread was open to all ideas. No? Successfully suppressing a large caliber rifle round will require at least a large coffee can or larger size suppresser. Forget the finned bullet- the engineering of that will take all the skill and knowledge few have plus a lot of blown up parts during the "testing" process.

So to the finned contraption bullet. How in the world would putting fins on the nose of a bullet reduce sonic crack- no matter if the fins are pitched to push or pull through the air based on twist rate of the bore??? The exposed nose of the bullet will generate a compression wave PLUS each leading edge of each fin will have it's own compression wave. Even if a finned or hollow or corkscrew or cubic or sprinkled with fairy dust or whatever supersonic bullet in combination with some suppresser reduced sonic crack, I bet it would be a tack driver :) Sorry I entered this thread.

Sorry I wasn't trying to upset anyone, I'm just saying that if the gasses are supersonic or not doesn't matter much in the OP's case because the suppressor takes care of that.

HollowPoint
09-27-2013, 08:58 PM
Just wandering aimlessly through my mind, but if the whole projectile is traveling super-sonic then to do any "digging" the vanes will have to be the first part to enter the air. Otherwise they will be covered by the wave front created by the nose and not have any exposure to the compressed waves. They would also need to have the equivalent of winglets to prevent shock wave escape from the outside edges. Of course winglets would produce a wave front that would obscure the "digging" vanes again. My head hurts!

I'm not sure but I think that you're not taking into account the ultra-high RPM's that the rifling will impart on the bullet and the "Impeller" action that the fins will produce. This is why it will be critical to find the correct pitch for the "Impeller-Fins."

Try calculating the RPMs on your fastest moving cast lead projectile fired from a standard 1 in 10 twist 30 caliber barrel with the bullet moving at about 1800 fps. Then do the calculation using a 168 grain bullet traveling at about 2700 fps out of the same 1 in 10 twist barrel. Those fins are rotating far faster than the bullet is moving forward.

I think if the fins are correctly calibrated, the suction that they'll induce at the front of the bullet; even one traveling at 2700 fps, will be enough to lessen or eliminate the pressure wave that stacks up ahead of the bullet and eventually slips back and collapses at the base of the bullet.

This is just how I picture it in my mind. Right now there's no telling if it will really work. I'll just have to try it first.

HollowPoint

freebullet
09-27-2013, 09:39 PM
Wow sweet setup on the458. By looking at the underwater shoots you could figure to get MAXIMUM effect you would need a massive unwieldy suppressor. It's always a balance of size & weight to make it quiet. If the 458 muffler was 8" round & a foot longer it may be almost silent but who would carry it. Maybe add wheels & a kickstand.

calaloo
09-28-2013, 08:19 AM
They said it couldn't be done
So he smiled and set right to it
And after many weeks of ardious work
He found he couldn't do it.

jmorris
09-28-2013, 08:37 AM
Yes, the 458 can is on a form 1, there are some more photos of it here http://s121.photobucket.com/user/jmorrismetal/library/can?sort=6&page=1

freebullet, for max effect you would be inside a room and just shoot through the wall. If you can control the exit airflow you can compress the air inside the can much more than water can control the air pressure.

On the other hand, if you fill a steel container with water and freeze it, water in that state will often split steel. So you need someone to freeze themselves and an AK in a pool solid then post the video, I bet it looks a lot different...

Artful
09-28-2013, 09:20 AM
Wow sweet setup on the458. By looking at the underwater shoots you could figure to get MAXIMUM effect you would need a massive unwieldy suppressor. It's always a balance of size & weight to make it quiet. If the 458 muffler was 8" round & a foot longer it may be almost silent but who would carry it. Maybe add wheels & a kickstand.

Bigger doesn't make quieter all the time - the baffle designs have to work the gases to exchange the energy into heat to reduce the sound signature, look up suppressed airguns and watch a view video's and you'll see even without gunpowder burning you have projectile noise.

If you had a "boom" on your boolit, like the jet in the Nasa pic - you might lessen the noise but getting the boolit to stabilize will be the trick.

BNE
09-28-2013, 11:13 AM
1st: Artful - GREAT video of the shots under water. I pulled my kids over to view them as a great tutorial.

2nd: HollowPoint - Do not limit yourself because you do not have a fancy piece of paper stating you have a degree. I have one of those pieces of paper. It does not do the work or you. Unfortuneatley most Engineers are quicker to tell you why your idea won't work, than to try to help your idea work. More good ideas get killed before they get started because an Engineer states it can not be done. My best bosses over the years have let me try crazy ideas in order to let me learn what works and what does not work based on experience. Degrees are nice and yes, very helpful, but you learn more from failure than from success. (As long as you don't give up!)

PS - As an engineer, I think your current drawing will not work. :groner:

Artful
09-28-2013, 12:07 PM
I'm with ya BNE - but I'd say try a stick stuck in a hollow point and see if it has a noticeable difference.

NASA did F5E with a knife nose and it did have a measurable drop in sonic boom noise
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/6/6b/F-5E_Shaped_Sonic_Boom_Demonstration_aircraft.jpg/220px-F-5E_Shaped_Sonic_Boom_Demonstration_aircraft.jpg
but that's not going to work with a rotating projectile !

http://www.spacedaily.com/images/plane-quietsonic-bg.jpg
Northrop Grumman Unveils Concept For Quiet Supersonic Aircraft

I don't think the active isentropic air inlet and extensive laminar aerodynamics
is going to be possible in a cheap to shoot boolit either...
http://www.spacedaily.com/news/plane-sonic-02b.html
http://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/headquarters_offices/apl/noise_emissions/supersonic_aircraft_noise//media/2-Panel2-Komadina-Northrop.pdf

Skunkworks
09-28-2013, 01:47 PM
Here is a pic of a shockwawe.
As you can see the wawe starts at the point and anything under it is "hidden", so your "impeller" is useless.

Secondly there is rotational speed.
The pitch og the impeller might be tuned to the rifling pitch but remember that a bullet fired looses actual speed much faster than rotational speed.
In other words: It might work at muzzle but after a short time the "impeller" will start to rotate faster than forward speed and cavitate big time.

Here is something to read about aerodynamics:
http://waterocket.explorer.free.fr/aerodynamics.htm

Artful
09-28-2013, 02:31 PM
http://lol54.ru/uploads/posts/2010-01/1263979181_bullet2.jpg
http://www.visualphotos.com/photo/1x6063937/schlieren_photo_of_a_bullet_passing_through_hotair _h630008.jpg

http://www.ivorbittle.co.uk/Books/Fluids%20book/Chapter%2014%20web%20docs/The%20flow%20round%20a%20bullet_files/image034.gif

http://www.ivorbittle.co.uk/Books/Fluids%20book/Chapter%2014%20web%20docs/The%20flow%20round%20a%20bullet_files/image036.gif

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQJPcL-gQA_EzHxUP4Y8pbaomjaJfLuca4mJBieQGCUckcmLkpu
Notice on this wadcutter the build up of air in front of the flat nose make it's own wave
because it's acting as a solid.

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2013/04/berger-bullets-introduces-revolutionary-sonic-ripple-bullet/
http://accurateshooter.net/Blog/ripple03.jpg
notice even the small meplat shows a build up of air between shock wave and bullet.

The holey Bullets seem to have disappeared
http://images.gizmag.com/hero/compbullets.jpg
this was the "Comp Bullet" - an Italian company design
many claims for it magical holiness.

HollowPoint
09-28-2013, 04:37 PM
You know what would be really funny? If in the end, I was able to get my uneducated theory to actually work. That would be hilarious to me. I think that, that reason alone is enough to make an attempt worth while; even if it's just another failed attempt at something that's already been tried.

I can see why many would state or agree that such a cockamamy idea wouldn't work. And, when viewed or attempted from the perspective of their education, experience or whatever, they're most likely right. It's destined to fail before it's even started.

I don't view it from inside the same box that their viewing it from. In spite of this I'm under do illusion that the "Box" I'm working outside of is any more or less conducive to reaching a successful end of such a project. I think it's just a matter of one person viewing things from a different perspective that another.

HollowPoint

Artful
09-28-2013, 05:17 PM
Ok, so what's the easiest way to trial your theory? - first calculate the twist needed on your fin's, then find a lathe or screw machine that's free to play - make it out of copper, brass or bronze I'd say as lead isn't very machinable. What can we do to help?

Looking at your original post do you have a gain twist on the wings/fins - what do you want to call them?

jmorris
09-28-2013, 05:31 PM
You need to hook up with the guy in a forum up top that has made tons of custom molds of all sorts of designs. IIRC he had little houses on top, some looked like driver tips and I think he was even working on a screw mold at one point.

jmorris
09-28-2013, 05:36 PM
This is his thread.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?181398-phillips-head-anyone

Artful
09-28-2013, 07:13 PM
Excellent - I remember that thread now -
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?181398-phillips-head-anyone&p=2407591#post2407591

leeggen
09-28-2013, 07:37 PM
Gee guys that is what I suggested in the beginnig. "Phillips head anyone" by OLDPARA He is pretty sharp onthe programs and design of some fantastic art style bullets that do shoot pretty well.
Hollowpoint I say go for it and I hope you suceed and prove some doughter wrong. Even if you don't suceed completly you will have further imfor. to try again with an adjusted design. As one of my old boss's said" I may not always be ALL right ,But I will never be ALL wrong!!!
Good luck
CD

jmorris
09-28-2013, 08:40 PM
Sure enough, right there in post #8. I didn't remember the Op's name or the name of the thread, until I found it again.

leeggen
09-28-2013, 09:08 PM
He even made one on a suggestion that had threads on it. I beleive it was about a 5/16s tap in size. Be interesting to see the air wave off of it! I would think if it shoots a reasonable group and has a lower noise level then Hollowpoints design could be considered a success, yes or no???? We all would learn something from it anyway.
CD

jmorris
09-29-2013, 08:32 AM
The threaded mold part is page 5 starting around post 87 or so.

HollowPoint
09-29-2013, 12:18 PM
Ok, so what's the easiest way to trial your theory? - first calculate the twist needed on your fin's, then find a lathe or screw machine that's free to play - make it out of copper, brass or bronze I'd say as lead isn't very machinable. What can we do to help?

Looking at your original post do you have a gain twist on the wings/fins - what do you want to call them?

The image and the analogy I posted are just that; just and image to give you an idea of what my theory is based on. The tunnel-digging analogy was just to paint a mental picture but, some have taken these examples far to literally so it's no wonder there's so much doubt surrounding my theory.

I do envision the initial prototypes being machined from brass or copper rod but, for the bench testing this won't be necessary. I planned on turning a one inch piece of delrin rod to the desired bullet profile, attaching adjustable Impeller-Fins so that I don't have to turn a new example with every degree of adjustment I make to the fins.

I have air tools that spin at real high RPMs. I can adapt one of them to spin my mock-up in order to adjust the fins on the Impeller section of my bullet to the optimum air-flow position. This can be done by mounting this test-bullet inside an enclosure with a small viewing window. Smoke or water can be used as the medium to simulate the movement of air flowing around and past the bullet.

Once the proper pitch is established for the Impeller-Fins, I can then move forward to calculating with mathematics what I can expect when or if the bullet is moving forward at a given velocity and at a given rate of spin.

The tail end of my delrin mock-up-bullet will have the heel threaded so as to be able to screw on different boat-tail lengths or angles. Again; this is so that I don't have to turn a new delrin mock-up bullet in order to hit on the right length or angle for the boat tail heel. It should be just a matter of making up boat tail heels that I can quickly swap out until I get the optimum configuration. Even better still might be the use of an old antenna-type of set-up that consists of various diameter hollow rods; one fitting snuggly inside the other mounted on the heel of my mock-up and just sliding them in or out to the optimum length.

Right now I'm just telling you the steps that I hope to go through as I envision it in my mind; not what I've actually done so far. I don't see it as being as complicated as many seem to believe. Maybe it's because I'm just to much of a simpleton.

In my mind, the price of success and the price of failure are exactly the same. We all know that failure is easy to achieve. From this point of view, achieving success should be easy; provided you go about it correctly.

Even with what I've written up to now, I've gotten way, way, way ahead of myself. I still have to finish the final stages of my Boat-Tailed Gas-Checks project and then finish up the upgrade of my Soft-Pointing-Tool. Then I can think about move forward to trying to prove this Sonic-Crack-Theory.

I came up with this theory just lately while was laying on my back feeling under the weather. Now that I'm back on my feet I can make plans to finish up one project and move onto the next.

I'm afraid I've gotten back into the bad habit of posting my ideas before I've had a chance to prove them. I had stopped doing that shortly after joining this forum but, with the success I've had with the Boat-Tailed Gas-Checks idea I'm afraid I let myself drift back into this bad habit.

After this thread runs its course I won't be posting any more of my ideas, theories or inventions until I've had a chance to complete them. In any forum-setting there are just way to many dream-killers with good intentions to keep one from bringing their dreams to fruition. I thank God for those here who still have dreams of their own and encourage others who do.

In regard to the work that our fellow forum member oldpara goes; I've been following his post since he started the thread in question. He has some awesome creations. I love that kind of stuff. I absolutely love it. I've always been drawn toward creative people but, in my own case and with my own ideas, I prefer to do all my own work. This way any failures I encounter are my own and any successes I achieve are my own; otherwise it's to easy to blame others for one's failures and to easy for others to steal your successes.

Artful: I don't think I've ever mentioned to you how grateful I am for your inputs on this and some of my threads throughout this forum. I may be way off base with my interpretations of the number of hits that some of my other project-threads have gotten over time but, I'm thinking there are thousands of lurkers on these threads that never say a word one way or the other. Then there are those who chime in with their well meaning cliches only to tell me why they think my ideas won't work. And then there's yourself and a handful of others that will post replies of encouragement. Many thanks for the offers to help.

Right now I have my hands full with the projects I'm working on now. If any of you want to help, here's how you can help me. Next time you say your prayers, mention me and this project. I'm kind of wanting to see it succeed.

HollowPoint

Artful
09-29-2013, 10:19 PM
Ok, we'll leave it in your hands - glad your feeling better - one suggestion look into super sonic propeller driven plane history.

jmorris
09-30-2013, 09:41 AM
As you already have the solid drawing, any chance that you could just get someone to 3D print your prototypes?

HollowPoint
09-30-2013, 10:13 AM
Ok, we'll leave it in your hands - glad your feeling better - one suggestion look into super sonic propeller driven plane history.

The small amount of information on "Propellers" (not Impellers) that I came across seemed to indicate that a "Propeller-Type" of configuration would become limited by the Propeller itself.

In the old WWII aircraft for example, the air speed of these craft would only allow then to travel up to a certain speed before the propeller started hindering the flight characteristics of the plane. I can't remember exactly what that air speed was but, this is the reason I opted for the "Impeller" configuration as apposed to the "Propeller" configuration. Both will suck volumes of air and create forward momentum but in my estimation, the "Impeller" configuration does so with less resistance.

Even so, I'll check into your suggestion a little more.

It is possible to have prototypes 3D printed. Both in the plastic medium that the lower end printers put out and in "Sintered" metal 3D printing. The "Sintered" metal printing would be out of the realm for me because It's to expensive; especially if more than one prototype is needed.

The plastic medium 3D printing wouldn't be so bad but, I have the lathe and mill to make up these prototype so why pay the additional expense of 3D printing them?

I'm doing it on the cheap. It's a basically a million-dollar idea with a fifty-dollar R and D budget. (optimistic I guess)

HollowPoint

opos
09-30-2013, 10:29 AM
Non engineers have solved lots of the worlds mysteries and needs...I for example devised a disposable handkerchief many years ago...didn't pursue it and someone did...it's called Kleenex.

Whatever comes of the whole thing...I like the CAD design drawing

HollowPoint
09-30-2013, 02:31 PM
opos:

Thanks for the kind word.

I'm tickled that the drawing came out as clear as it did. I used the Solidworks software to draw it up. I'm self-taught so my drawings don't always come out as I'd like.

I've mentioned this before in some of my other post and topics. When you're self-taught, you have a teacher that's just as ignorant as the student. It's a hit or miss affair.

HollowPoint

Artful
09-30-2013, 06:01 PM
The small amount of information on "Propellers" (not Impellers) that I came across seemed to indicate that a "Propeller-Type" of configuration would become limited by the Propeller itself.

Actually a lot of WW2 aircraft reached and or passed into supersonic flight speeds in a dive - the problem was the aircraft frame/controls wasn't designed for it. Plenty of stories out there say Yeager wasn't the first. There are certainly many pilots who approached the sound barrier but didn't live to tell about it. Controls frozen or unresponsive - plane screaming toward the ground - P51, P47, P38's were all fast enough probably ME262 as well.

In the old WWII aircraft for example, the air speed of these craft would only allow then to travel up to a certain speed before the propeller started hindering the flight characteristics of the plane. I can't remember exactly what that air speed was but, this is the reason I opted for the "Impeller" configuration as apposed to the "Propeller" configuration. Both will suck volumes of air and create forward momentum but in my estimation, the "Impeller" configuration does so with less resistance.

Even so, I'll check into your suggestion a little more.

HollowPoint
The thing about being self taught is there is no lesson plan, which slows the learning process - but it also allows side trips to things outside a traditional course of education. At one point I thought I had a unique idea for a suppressor baffle design - turns out it was a reinvention - I have one now made by someone else and it works well for what it is, not the quietest but the quietest for it's size.
Let me spark your fertile mind
http://www.heliciel.com/en/logiciel-calcul-helice-aile/optimisation%20vitesse%20rotation%20nombre%20pales %20helice.htm
http://www.heliciel.com/en/images/helice%20contra%20rotative%20snecma.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Republic_XF-84H -
"Thunderscreech" was an experimental turboprop aircraft derived from the F-84F Thunderstreak.