PDA

View Full Version : My Favorite Argie

KCSO
08-22-2005, 02:41 PM
I have a couple of doe tags to fill this year and I got out my trustworthy old argie for a sight in check and thought I would post a couple of pictures. The argie was purchased many years ago as a butchered military rifle for $50.00. The barrel had been hacksawed and the stock cut so I had to trim and refinish the stock and I cut and crowned the barrel at 24". The bore is 311 on the nose and the gun showed NO indications of firing when I got it. Since then it has shot only cast bullets. The redfield sight and the front and rear sights were from the scrap drawer along with the recoil pad. Total cost of the gun was $50.00. Out of the 5 Argies we own this is my favorite.
It will group under 2 1/2" at 100 yards with the load in the second photo. This is the 220 bullet I had M/M make up. This bullet with various sizings had been used as my main deer load in 30-40, 30-06, 303, Argie, 7.62x54, and 7.7 Jap. In the Argie I am using IMR 4895 to push this bullet cast from w/w to just at 2000 fps.

I do have a list of folks to send samples of this bullet to and as soon as our local celebrations are over I will be getting them out.

StarMetal
08-22-2005, 03:13 PM
Jim

Don't you mean 7.65 Argie? Hey those are some awesome looking bullets. No doubt if you connect with one of those you'll fill your tag.

Joe

Mel-4857
08-22-2005, 08:39 PM
Those bullets look like real thumpers. Mel

45 2.1
08-22-2005, 08:47 PM
KCSO-

I like the Engineers carbine myself. The Fat 30 bullet shoots extremely well in it and it flattens everything it hits. Nice rig you got there also.

Char-Gar
08-22-2005, 09:14 PM
Those bullets are almost identical to the ones that fall from my Mountain Mold. I had it cut with the front driving band about double the length of yours, so I don't have any lube grooves sticking out. It is not the most accurate bullet in the fleet but will deliver 2 MOA out of a good rifle.

However, mine cast .301 X .312 out of wheel weight. My Argie is a pristine Lowe and runs .301 X .314. I have had that Argie about 10 months and have yet to fire it. I have a couple of questions.

1. What receiver sight do you have on it. Looks like a Lyman, but which one?

2. Looks like you removed the issue rear sight blade/elevator, but left the base in place. Correct?

3. What powder charges are you using with your bullet in the Argie, 30-40 and 30-06.

I use 52/WC872 in the 30-40 and that give me 1.9K fps out of a 22" Krag and a 24" Mod. 95 levergun.

KCSO
08-23-2005, 09:13 AM
I will have to check my notes before I put out the exact load, I am using IMR 4895. The sights on the Argie are take offs that came from my junk box. I think the rear sight came from a Remington rifle and the front was a Williams. The peep was an old Lyman 57 with target knobs and was also from the junk box. The gun was reblued when I did the salvage job on it, but most of the blue is pretty worn now.

Between my dad and my brother and I we have 5 Argies, 2 sporters, 1 engineers carbine and two rifles. Mostly this is because in our area they were cheap.

This one just happens to be the most consistant shooter and seems to shoot everything from the soupcan to the 220 with good results. This bullet at has been a good deer load for me especially in the Krag, but I have never recovered a bullet, in one side and out the other with a big bleed hole.