PDA

View Full Version : Local home explodes.

mroliver77
09-26-2013, 03:09 PM
http://www.toledoblade.com/Police-Fire/2013/09/25/Sheriff-ID-s-victims-in-Liberty-Center-house-explosion.html

This is a fellow I know. I worked for his son in law and daughters building contractor business. The whole family are friends.

Steve lost his wife a few years ago and was dating the woman killed. The radio quoted neighbors as stating that the propane company had been there last week and put a new tank in.

A new hiway had been built where Steve had lived. He was forced to sell out and move to this place. He has had a rough few years.

I am just dumbfounded!
Jay

groovy mike
09-26-2013, 03:22 PM
It happened locally here a few years ago. Propane tank was in the basement and the house was just gone with 5 people lost.

starmac
09-26-2013, 04:29 PM
I do not use propane here, except for the grill and fish fryer, but in NM the propane companies were required by law to pressure test the lines anytime their was any change, they were actually suppose to anytime you let your tank run dry.

Artful
09-26-2013, 05:28 PM
Sorry to hear about this, Condolences to all involved.

mroliver77
09-26-2013, 06:35 PM
We have the same laws on propane or natural gas. Nobody is blaming propane as yet.(News people had to mention it) The county Sheriff is treating it as a crime scene until they have their investigation done.
J

country gent
09-26-2013, 06:38 PM
Last time I dealt with the Henry County Sheriffs dept they couldnt find thier tail with both hands an a compass.

mroliver77
09-26-2013, 06:52 PM
Well, how dare you bad talk our little ole Sherriffs department!

Last time I dealt with the Henry County Sheriffs dept they couldnt find thier tail with both hands an a compass.

country gent
09-26-2013, 08:28 PM
Yeppers I seen and dealt with them all my life of and on. I have leved in the area all my life. My wife was killed outside of liberty Center.

mroliver77
09-26-2013, 09:39 PM
You do know I did not take any offense? lol I try to not have any truck with most law dogs. There are a few though I would back up.

Sorry about your wife Country Gent! I live 5 mile south of LC on 109.
Jay

Artful
09-26-2013, 09:44 PM
You guys are that close, should go shooting together.

bikerbeans
09-26-2013, 10:26 PM
Sorry to hear this Jay. THe postmaster in my town lives in Liberty Center, I guess I will know the local scuttlebutt in the morning. If you and country gent decide to go shooting I am in if you guys want a third.

BB

uscra112
09-27-2013, 12:24 AM
Man, oh man. You read about gas explosions like this, and then it happens to someone you know. Prayers for your friend, and condolences for his loss.

uscra112
09-27-2013, 12:27 AM
BTW a "combustible gas detector" tool can be bought for about $150. I bought one to use when I was re-piping the gas in my old farmhouse here. They work very well, and are extremely sensitive. That gas installer should have had one, and if he'd used it properly . . . . . . .

GaryN
09-27-2013, 02:00 AM
I know a guy that lost his wife that way a long time ago. It was due to a gas leak. Makes a heck of a mess.

mroliver77
09-27-2013, 10:00 AM
We don't know for sure what happened. I use to install furnaces and gas piping. We were very careful and double checked everything. Just because it appears to be a gas explosion and there was a gas company there recently does not mean they are responsible. It is possible something went amiss with the furnace or water heater. We will see what the "experts" come up with.
Steve is/was a mechanic and tinkerer. It is possible that he had something going on in the basement. Who knows. One commenter said "Meth lab gone wrong" I know this to not be true!

Country Gent, bikerbeans and I live within 20 minutes of one another. I met b,beans recently and he bought my lunch. We had a good talk and I like him. I have talked to C,Gent about getting together too. Funny(odd) that all three of us are disabled. We will have to make an effort to get together.

country gent
09-27-2013, 10:04 AM
I havent heard to much other than the gas had just been turned on for winter Im assuming. Maybe a missed pilot light or leak from work that had been done. I always request the leak test be done first filling of every season just for safteys sake. age takes its toll on fitings joints and seals. Only takes the guy a few mins and they are more than happy to do it ussually. A small leak can become a big problem when home is shut up tight. I feel for these people Its not just the home that blew up several were seriously damaged ( one was pushed off foundation) and all need our prayers.

snuffy
09-27-2013, 10:57 AM
Wow! Nobody has to explain to me how powerful a natural gas explosion can be---,,,is. Propane is a bit different, my limited understanding is that propane seeks the lowest level, natural gas rises??

I was sleeping one Saturday morning, rudely awakened by a loud BOOM! The apartment directly above me had exploded! This was a 20 unit, two story apartment building, long and narrow. It blew out the windows of that apartment, blew the drywall ceiling straight up into the attic, blew the ceiling of the mid-entry lobby down. The end caps were all glass. They were nearly blown out of the ends of the building.

Fire department had the fire under control in under a half hour. Only damage to my apartment was the water needed to put-er-out. It took 3 months to re-build the damage, and it had to be up to code before it could be re-occupied.

Manager had been working on a gas stove the day before. He walked into the apartment, threw the light switch on, boom! It was unoccupied. He was burned badly, spent 4 months in a burn ward in Milwaukee. He got a blood infection and required many skin grafts. His synthetic work shirt melted to his skin on his arms and legs, was wearing a cotton T shirt under the shirt, and boxers that prevented any burns where they touched his skin. He died about a year later from a burst aneurism.

My prayers go out to Steve for his complete recovery.

Hickory
09-28-2013, 07:36 PM
Jay, just got a phone call from a guy I used to work with.
He said that the woman who died in the explosion was our bosses secretary.
I never made the connection because I didn't know her last name.
Seemed like an OK sort of woman.
Too bad.

MT Gianni
09-29-2013, 10:33 PM
BTW a "combustible gas detector" tool can be bought for about $150. I bought one to use when I was re-piping the gas in my old farmhouse here. They work very well, and are extremely sensitive. That gas installer should have had one, and if he'd used it properly . . . . . . .

Generally it is what happens after the install that is the problem. I cringes when I saw highway work was recently done. Digging or extensive vibration can damage things. Prayers sent.

mroliver77
09-30-2013, 06:12 PM
I talked to my friend Jeremy (Steves grandson) at church Sunday. He said Steve is doin OK as can be. He has some bad burns but nothing broken. The Drs were puzzled that they found lot's of metal imbedded in his body but some was healed well. Turns out this was the second time he was blown up! The first was in Viet Nam. Somebody found his Purple Heart in the debris field!!

I guess he and the deceased were to be married this week! Geesh! Poor guy!
J

Abenaki
10-01-2013, 03:22 PM
Years ago my oldest Daughter and her family was almost killed by a gas leak.
She was 8 months pregnant with our Grandson. Before she went to be, she reached above the stove to get some thing. We think that she bumped a knob on the stove with her belly. Thus starting a gas leak.

She got up early in a morning, sick as a dog. Was gonna start breakfast for her Husband. When she turned on a burner to the stove BOOOOMMM!!!

It blew the door off of the stove, blew some windows out and caught some drapes on fire!

To make a long story short. Every body came out of it ok. They were all sick from the gas.
My Grandson? Well.....The kids a freaking genius.

God is good.
Abenaki

coblake
10-01-2013, 03:45 PM
My mother drove by the house last week (she lives in Swanton), and said the devastation was unreal, like out of a movie. It's a terrible shame.