PDA

View Full Version : Range report: H&r slym 223

Jim
09-26-2013, 09:10 AM
On 11 SEP, I filed a range report (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?212820-Range-report-H-amp-r-223)on my H&R 223. I have given that rifle to my nephew in SC to keep for my grandnephew to grow into.

Since then, I have purchased a H&R Super Light Youth model (SLYM) in 223. I have fitted it with a Tasco World Class Illuminated Reticle scope in 3X9X40, a 250 lumen barrel mounted light and a surplus British 303 sling. The rifle is 33" long, the barrel is 20" with a 1:9 twist and the rifle weighs 5.3 lbs. out of the box. With scope, light and sling, the total weight is 7.2 lbs.

I had some loads left over from my first 1:9 barrel that proved to be very accurate, so I used them to dial in the scope. The load is a Lyman 225415, Graphlox lube and 2.6 grains of Red Dot lit with a small rifle primer.

After bore sighting the scope, I fired 10 shots at 50 yards. First shot was high and left. I did a one shot zero and the second shot missed dead center by a half inch. Shots 3, 4 and 5 didn't show much promise.

Apparently, the first five shots got the bore seasoned. Shots 6 through 10 settled and the load started printing. I may not have to do much work on this rifle, although I do intend to investigate some other bullet/powder combinations.

As it stands now, it's ready to hunt with.

TheCelt
09-26-2013, 09:16 AM
Nice report Jim! I don't know the scientific reason but I've had several rifles that ALWAYS send the first round to unpredictable places. After the barrel is fouled they shoot well. Is that your new "Nuclear Coon" rifle???

Jim
09-26-2013, 03:53 PM
..... Is that your new "Nuclear Coon" rifle???

Yup. And Mr. Rocky is in deep doo-doo.

gandydancer
09-27-2013, 09:11 PM
Howdy Jim. jim I have that same rifle & caliber.with a bsa:oops: someone forced that scope on me. Thankfully I don't remember who? i have not shot it in the three years I have owned it. I will be watching for your posts on yours. gd