PDA

View Full Version : Feel better about prices

Hogtamer
09-26-2013, 06:56 AM
...since I put calculator to the actual cost of reloading. I haven't done that in years. Of course I had to use a baseline so I figured 1 1/8 lead loads, 30 grns of powder, wads, primers and nothing for the hulls. Even with lead @ $2.00 lb this "average" load works out to about $2.80 per 25 rounds based on prices I've most recently paid. Of course you would have to figure the cost of loader over time, but even at $3.00 a box that's less than half of what you pay for cheapo loads these days. That ratio is still attractive relative to other "necessities." I'd be pretty happy if I could manufacture gasoline for a buck and a half a gallon. Load 'em and shoot 'em boys, and support your reloading retailers while we still can!

Janoosh
09-26-2013, 07:37 AM
When doing your reading on shot loads, note the amount of pellets (7.5 shot) in your 1 1/8 load. I've tuned my shot loads down to 1oz or even 7/8 for sporting clays and crow loads. Just being frugal! And all the hulls you want at a clays course!

kenyerian
09-26-2013, 07:59 AM
I like to think that I can load better shells for hunting than the so called pheasant loads. Plus they do save money. At the rate that my Grand kids go through them that is important.

groovy mike
09-26-2013, 08:42 AM
...since I put calculator to the actual cost of reloading. I haven't done that in years. Of course I had to use a baseline so I figured 1 1/8 lead loads, 30 grns of powder, wads, primers and nothing for the hulls. Even with lead @ $2.00 lb this "average" load works out to about $2.80 per 25 rounds based on prices I've most recently paid. Of course you would have to figure the cost of loader over time, but even at $3.00 a box that's less than half of what you pay for cheapo loads these days. That ratio is still attractive relative to other "necessities." I'd be pretty happy if I could manufacture gasoline for a buck and a half a gallon. Load 'em and shoot 'em boys, and support your reloading retailers while we still can!

Thanks for sharing that. I have a buddy who keeps telling me that its not worth reloading 12 gauge. But considering that I swap free lead for shot and use 18.5 grains of powder, I must be loading at about $1 per box.... I'll let him keep buying shells at $6 per box but will feel better about my time spent reloading :)

dverna
09-27-2013, 10:20 PM

Math is good skill to have. But you have screwed up.

1 1/8 oz per shell means you have 28.125 oz of lead in a box of 25.
That equates to 1.758 lbs.
At $2/lb for lead you have over $3.50 of lead in a box of shells
Now add you powder, primers and wads.

I reload because I shoot a lot and I buy in bulk so I not only save money but produce a better shell than "el cheapo" promo loads. My cost is right at $4.35 or 1 1/8 oz and $4.07 for 1 oz loads. When you shoot 500-600 boxes a year, a savings of even $1.50-2.00 a box adds up.

BTW, the cost of the reloader is nearly zero. It has been my experience that after 10-15 years you can sell your reloader for what you paid for it. If you buy a used reloader, you will likely make a profit on it.

Don Verna

Hogtamer
09-28-2013, 12:08 AM
That's what I get for doing math before sunup! Thanks for the correction. Dang lead @ $2.00. That's what's screwy!

sandman228
09-28-2013, 09:16 AM
When doing your reading on shot loads, note the amount of pellets (7.5 shot) in your 1 1/8 load. I've tuned my shot loads down to 1oz or even 7/8 for sporting clays and crow loads. Just being frugal! And all the hulls you want at a clays course!

I was reading online that by dropping from 1 1/8 oz to 7/8 oz you can get 102 more loads per 25 lb bag of shot so theres 4+ boxes of shells . I went happy medium and load 1 oz so im at least getting 2 more boxes per bag of shot. I just picked up a bag of shot locally yesterday 38$ plus tax for an imported brand called Viking. ive never heard of it before but figured I would give it a try . my father inlaw has been a reloader for 30+ yrs I was telling him about it he told me last bag of shot he bought he paid 8$ for. with todays prices you gotta make things go as far as you can I guess and when you run across a deal grab it up . my last bag of shot I was foolish enough to order it from midway at 48.95 I believe plus shipping and was figuring my reloading costs at roughly 4.50 per box(hardly worth it in my opinion)for 12 gauge. I do however load allot of 410 shells the lowest price ive ever seen on 410 ammo in stores was 11$ for win AA 8 shot , so at only using 1/2 oz shot per shell and getting claybuster wads for roughly 7$ per 500 it is very well worth it reloading 410.

pipehand
09-28-2013, 03:57 PM
Because of the cost of shot, it hardly pays for me to load fine shot shells, so instead, I buy the trap/game loads and use the empties for reloading buck, roundball, and slug loads. At least there I can save some money casting my own projectiles.

I had intended to test the Federal FliteControl OO buck loads. Couldn't find any. When I did, they were $8.99+tax for a box of 5. Just couldn't bring myself to spend that kind of money when my .311" 9 pellet loads are shooting 8" patterns at 25 yards.
$5.99 a box buckshot is shooting 24" patterns at the same range.

If I were a serious clay target shooter, I would probably have a great need to make my own lead shot. There's a range that recently opened about 25 miles from me that does sporting clays. Been meaning to check it out, at least to shoot terribly and scrounge some hulls.

Hogtamer
09-28-2013, 04:56 PM
Pipe, load some 20's w/7/8 oz and head to that range. Sporting clays are much fun and they most likely will let you p/u hulls and sell you components at a good price too.

pipehand
09-28-2013, 05:48 PM
Hogtamer, we were talking about saving $, and now you've got me buying a 20 gauge shotgun! I don't own one, but I do have one of the 28 gauge Rem 870 Expresses they came out with a bunch of years ago, and if there was ever a shotshell that made economic sense to reload it is that one, along with the .410. I don't reload for the 28 yet, but 3/4 ounce of shot is even cheaper than 7/8.

For some reason the 20 gauge has never appealed to me. I've seen Win AA loads for the 28 in Wal-Mart, but come to think of it, I don't remember seeing any 16 gauge loads. That's another one it would pay to load for if you're a dedicated wingshot.

Hogtamer
09-28-2013, 09:27 PM
Sweeeeeeet! I'm envious of that 28!

dverna
09-29-2013, 07:13 PM
Hogtamer, we were talking about saving $, and now you've got me buying a 20 gauge shotgun! I don't own one, but I do have one of the 28 gauge Rem 870 Expresses they came out with a bunch of years ago, and if there was ever a shotshell that made economic sense to reload it is that one, along with the .410. I don't reload for the 28 yet, but 3/4 ounce of shot is even cheaper than 7/8.

For some reason the 20 gauge has never appealed to me. I've seen Win AA loads for the 28 in Wal-Mart, but come to think of it, I don't remember seeing any 16 gauge loads. That's another one it would pay to load for if you're a dedicated wingshot.

No need to buy a 20 gauge. I load 7/8 oz in 12 ga for Cowboy Action and for introducing new shooters to shotguns.

At the other end of the spectrum, I load 7/8 oz in my 28 gauge for hunting only because it is such a joy to carry a gun that weighs about 5 lbs in the field.

I have a 20 ga and rarely use it. But it would be my one shotgun if I ever had to limit myself to one shotgun. Hulls are not expensive, you can buy "promo" loads in 20 ga, and it will run 3/4 to 1 1/4 oz loads to cover most target and bird hunting purposes.

As a reloader, you have so much leeway in what you can do.

Don Verna

Black Powder Bill
10-05-2013, 10:50 AM
As a reloader, you have so much leeway in what you can do.

Don Verna ####

That one line says it all!