PDA

View Full Version : Birthday

Bob in Revelstoke
09-26-2013, 02:26 AM
I have a .45 ACP model 1911, serial number C 775x. It is a commercial model and the last patent shown is 1913. A check of the serial number indicates it was made in 1913 so it is 100 yrs young. It retains about 80% bluing and is all original except for the barrel bushing which I replaced some years ago as it had a split in it. I changed the sights on it as I couldn't see them anymore. (Going to change them back again) Due to its age I have placed it in semi-retirement and only shoot cast lead boolits at sufficient pressure to operate the slide. It still shoots very well and is accurate. The barrel is bright and shiny with no pits ect. I replaced it with a Norinco .45 ACP, but it just isn't the same.

As far as I can tell, it was part of an order of 7000 made by the Canadian Gov't in 1915 for the Great War. Other than that, information is sketchy. I paid the munificent sum of $5.00 for it and it came with a leather military holster which is unmarked. I am still trying to find out its history and it is possible it was used in the last train robbery in Canada in around 1922. Maybe I will find out someday. I still take it out for a shoot every once in a while, just for old times sake.

RED333
09-26-2013, 11:27 AM
Now that is a good buy, I will double what you paid for it, you pay shipping.:redneck:
JK, Thanks for sharing, PICS!

w5pv
09-26-2013, 11:38 AM
Good article and great buy,good shooting

fecmech
09-26-2013, 07:55 PM
I have to wait 4 more years for my 1911's 100th birthday. You did much better than I on the price. I had to pay $125. for mine but it had adjustable sights and was accurized by the AMU. It is certainly not a collectable but a great shooter with a beautiful 3.5 lb. trigger. It's kind of neat shooting something made that long ago.

Bob in Revelstoke
09-27-2013, 01:33 AM
I have to agree with fecmech, old is beautiful. Most of the guns I own are classified as "old". Maybe its because I am old too. The young guys at the range show up with their belchfire magnums that cost more than my first new car and ammo that costs $50 or more dollars for a box of 20. One youngster showed up with a monster S&W and with the first shot, the muzzle blast shattered the overhead spot lights. I just enjoy shooting my old hand guns and rifles. These are the guns that took game without destroying the meat and the hand guns that you had to be able to shoot with accuracy. It seems the trend nowadays is to load the biggest magazine available and empty it in the shortest time possible. If you hit the target, that is a bonus.
Ooops, sorry starting to rant and rave.

Bob