PDA

View Full Version : RCBS LAM2 questions

BACKTOSHOOTING
09-25-2013, 10:53 PM
I am geting a LAM 2 from a member here and it is comeing with a .358 die but i will be needing dies for 9mm, 40s&w and 45 acp and colt.

I know The Professer and Goodsteel custom make them for no more than stock ones along with top punches but my questions are, Do any other dies and punches fit the RCBS, like the Lyman and so forth. Just to know in case a [GOOD] deal pops up.

Also is there a chart that has part#s for the top punches.

Also for those loads that i use i would like to use Ben's Red but i dont see it for sale anywhere.
If i cant find any i'll probably go with something from white lable as i dont want to make my own.
What lube would you recomend for the 357 at around 1650 fps from my rossi 20" and for the 45 Ruger Blawkhawk 7 1/2" at 1100 fps

Thanks, Steve

theperfessor
09-26-2013, 10:04 AM
Lyman and RCBS nose punches are interchangeable. RCBS sizing dies vary slightly in dimension from Lyman dies, I'm pretty sure all the Lyman's will work in a LAM but not all RCBS dies will work in a Lyman 45, 450, or 4500.

I bet somebody with the link at hand will post where you can find a chart of nose punch interchangeability.

Just to be accurate I do not make dies, just nose punches for Lyman/RCBS and also Saeco lubers. I also make a pretty decent nut driver that fits the die retaining nut on Lyman (7/8") and RCBS (15/16") lubers, makes changing dies a lot easier and eliminates the chance of cross threading.

I believe Buckshot here makes dies, and many people regard his work quite highly. He is a fine craftsman.

I won't speak for Goodsteel except to say that I'm sure he can make anything he wants, and make it pretty to boot. You'll have to ask him if sizing dies are in his "product line".

MBTcustom
09-27-2013, 09:35 AM
LOL! Thanks prof. I'm humbled by your kind words! Means a lot coming from you.
However, I just made my first sizing die for the Lyman 450 yesterday. I needed to lube up some 458 boolits in a cleaner way than what I have been, so I cranked one out. However, it took me so long to do it, I'm not sure I'm a good enough friend to be doing such favors for myself in the future. I may have to cut myself off. LOL!
Honestly, you've got the Hass. You would be a lot quicker at cranking out those babies than I could ever be.

theperfessor
09-27-2013, 12:08 PM
I am running up a batch of blank Lyman/RCBS dies right now. I wrote the program, got the material, and bought the grooving tool I needed to cut the O-ring groove about three months ago. Then I had to put the project away until I got over neck surgery and caught up with everything else.

All the buyer has to do is drill/ream/polish the interior to size and drill the lube holes as needed. I plan to sell the blanks at a price good enough that you can't afford to not buy them to make your own sizing dies. They are made to the proper dimensions from 1144 steel and I will throw in two O-rings with each one.

Watch for a post here in this section soon about prices and features.

Edit to add: Makes you (me) appreciate Buckshot's ability to make top notch custom sizing dies at the price he charges, doesn't it?

I wish I had your talent to make beautiful guns and tools. If I have any talent at all its the ability to make small production runs of useful products in a way that I can make a little money. At best I can make things that are functionally but not esthetically attractive.

35Whelen
09-27-2013, 01:16 PM
perfessor........maybe a stupid question, but can you tell me the proper O ring size for the Lyman sizing dies? I have a beautiful Lachmiller sizer that uses the Lyman dies and some of the O rings are getting a bit on the grubby side. I have tried the standard assorted bulk pack of O rings from Princess Auto and none fit properly. Either too big and they get pinched when screwing them in or two skinny and don't seal well.

Best regards
Paul

theperfessor
09-27-2013, 02:07 PM
9/16" x 11/16" x 1/16"
It's #35 at Home Depot
It's item # 1BUP1 at Graingers (that's where I get them in the 100 pack)

Just noticed you're located in Canada so my sources may not help you much. Let me know if you have any problems finding them.

35Whelen
09-27-2013, 02:29 PM
Thanks very much Prefessor.......

theperfessor
09-27-2013, 02:43 PM
Quite welcome.