PDA

View Full Version : Help with ID Please

flhroy
08-22-2005, 12:47 PM
Just received a rifle but don't know what it is. On the receiver there is what looks like a crown stamped with the words

FABRICA DE ARMAS
OVIEDOS
under it. The receiver and barrel have matching numbers but I couldn't find any numbers on the bolt. The bolt itself looks like the bolt out of my Turk Mauser, it has the third lug. Also there is what appears to be a gas escape port on the left side of the receiver. One more thing is that when the bolt is pushed forward into battery the action is cocked. I thought all Mausers by 1924 cocked when the bolt handle was lifted. I was told this rifle is in 7mm Mauser but I can't find any markings on this weapon as to whick caliber it is. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You
Roy

StarMetal
08-22-2005, 01:19 PM
Well the " FABRICA DE ARMAS
OVIEDOS" tells me that it was manufactured in Spain. Sounds like it is 7x57 Mauser. Slug the bore see what you get first. If it's .284 or slightly larger it's 7mm for sure. Then try chambering a 7x57 round if you don't have a cartridge gauge to try.

Joe

Bret4207
08-22-2005, 02:55 PM
1893 or1895 Mauser. Most likley 7x57 or 7.65x55. Yes, they cock on closing. A bit weaker action, reputedly, than the '98 series Mausers, but with sane loads and cast boolits it should seve you well. I load my '93 7x57 with 160 gr condoms and loads I won't print here, lets just say I get an easy 2500 fps with no pressure signs. Use your own discretion.

StarMetal
08-22-2005, 03:11 PM
If Tpr is referring to the 7.65 cal used by the Argentines and a few other, it's measurements are 7.65x53 sometimes referred to as 7.65x54. It's definately not 7.65x55.

Joe

Bret4207
08-23-2005, 04:02 PM
Thanks Joe, meant 7.65x53.

StarMetal
08-23-2005, 05:16 PM
Tpr Bret

No problem, I was wondering "is there another 7.65 cartridge I'm not familiar with?" I do wonder why the 7.65 goes by x53 and x54 though.

Joe

Depreacher
08-23-2005, 10:58 PM
I believe the '93 had a round bolt face, and the '95 was flat on the very bottom. Could be wrong!!!!! cbp

Buckshot
08-24-2005, 04:18 AM
..........flhroy, as others mentioned it's Spanish made. However you're saying the bolt has the 3rd lug? If so it should be a M98 action.

If the front action ring is larger around then the left sidewall (measures 1.300") It's a M98, large ring Mauser.

http://www.fototime.com/9791792F57864C9/standard.jpg
Just ignore the length! If it's a small ring like in the photo above, the front ring will be flush with the left sidewall as this one is. This is the same as a 1893, 1894, 1895, and 1896. All small ring Mausers. The front ring diameter should be about 1.1" or maybe a bit more.

http://www.fototime.com/93DF7AC146DC001/standard.jpghttp://www.fototime.com/B441C5D527F28FE/standard.jpg
These are both model 1898's. DWM 1908 contract Brazilian on the left and a 1912 Steyr contract Chilean on the right. Follow up the left sidewall and you can see the action ring is larger around then the left sidewall.

http://www.fototime.com/D3A7BD464EE81B6/standard.jpg
Does the cocking piece look like this above? Double radius, large flange right behind the bridge? That's a 1898.

http://www.fototime.com/8DDF21B9754E8F1/standard.jpg
Or does it look like this? Safety pivot hump straight back, cocking piece single radius, no flange on cocking piece? That's a small ring Mauser.

That third lug, cock on closing is a stumper.

.............Castboolitpreacher, early 1893's and 1894 (FN and Loewe, NOT Swede 1894's) had a square chin bolt and the actions had to be specially milled. Later 1893's had round boltfaces.

http://www.fototime.com/54CA70973018D20/standard.jpg
This is a 1894 Brazilian action, made by FN. Look at the tang and you can see the square raceway.

http://www.fototime.com/C30E136713DCB9D/standard.jpg
Just ahead of the bullet's nose you can see the square broached race, over the feedramp.

..............Buckshot

jethrow strait
08-24-2005, 06:25 PM
If it's a long rifle you can call it a '93. If it's a short rifle it's a 1916, which is the '93 action with a shorter barrel. Both are '93 action rifles with the flat bottom on the bolt. They all were issued in 7mm Mauser(until after WWII, when some of the 1916s we cobbed up into .308 grenades). Oviedo was the main Spanish Army Arsenal in the 1920's.

The Spanish came out with a '98 in 1943 chambered in 8mm Mau, a virtual German K98k clone. Oh yeah, Francisco Franco was one heck of a "neutral" in WWII all right---also was supplying the Nazi officer corps with Star pistols and had the Spanish 'Blue Division' fighting in Russia with the Wermacht.-----jethrow

flhroy
09-01-2005, 03:40 PM
I haven't had much time lately to get on the net but thanks for the replies guys. Went home after my original post and I'm pretty sure what I have is a 1916 short rille in a sporter stock. The rifle itself appears not to have been changed at all as in not D & T'd for a scope. As far as that third lug on the bolt goes I'm sure someone took it off while I was at work because I can't find it now! Next I need to get the rifle checked for head spacing and over all health buy a gun smith to see if its safe to fire. The rifle was last fired some 20 odd years ago by my Brother-in-Law and he said that some gas blew back into his face. Along with the rifle he also gave me a box of Remington shells of which three had been fired. On each one the primer was blown back so that it protruded about 1/32 to 1/16 of an inch out of the back of the brass. Should be an excellent Western Oregon black-tail rifle if I can get it to where it works again.
Thanks again for your replies

Roy

Buckshot
09-03-2005, 06:51 AM
............It could be just a case of a mis-matched bolt. If so, setting the barrel back and re-chambering will cure that. If the lugs have set back into the shoulder, then............. depends on how bad, or how much ya want to spend on it.

You can do a quick simple test for setback, but I'd still have gunsmith take a look too. Disassemble the bolt so all you have is the bolt body. Slide the bolt forward until the locking lugs 'just' engage the shoulder. Turn the bolt slowly to lock it while pulling back on it slightly. Watch for rearward movement as the bolt gets close to being in the locked position.

Pick a reference point co-incident on the bolt and action for this movement, or make a mark on the bolt body by the action ring or bridge, when the lugs just engage the locking shoulder. If the bolt moves backwards just as it locks, there is setback present. When rotated to unlock, the bolt would move slightly forward as it was rotated.

These (and M98's too) are simple carbon steel actions that were heat treated to provide hard surfaces in selected places. The locking lug shoulders being one. Usually the casehardening was several thousandths of an inch thick, and to clean it up the gunsmith might have to cut most of it away. This would require it be sent out for re-hardening.

That's the expence I was speaking of. The re-hardening and then re-qualifying the barrel.

..............Buckshot

Bret4207
09-03-2005, 08:15 AM
I have seen locking lug shoulders built back up with electroplating. Just a thought. Might be a simple mismatched bolt as was mentioned ealier. These older 93-98 actions were pretty soft for the most part. I have an '09 Argentine that I bent the receiver ring on with an outside action wrench while trying, unsucessfully, to remove the barrel. The bolt wouldn't enter the raceway after that. After much deliberation, about 3 seconds, I took a BFH, (Big Freakin' Hammer), and struck the spot I figured needed striking. Viola! The bolt entered fine. Magnafluxing showed no cracks, BTW- Did you guys know you can get a magnafluxing kit for like $40.00? Most cool.

StarMetal
09-03-2005, 12:04 PM
If it's just headspace from a mismatched bolt the cheapest way to fix it is just reload it. That is when you size a fired case just size down to very very very near where the neck joins the shoulder. That way the case will fit the chamber almost exactly. Of course you could neck size only too. If the lugs set the receiver area back, then you got to do what Buckshot said.

Joe

flhroy
09-14-2005, 07:08 PM
Had a little time last night and checked for movement of the bolt while closing it. The action appeared to pass that test. Next stop will be the the gun shop.
Been real busy doing a major house remodeling project this summer as in a complete make over. Finally got the roof done and the windows and doors should be in the first of next week. Living in the Willamette Valley in the fall with that being done I'll be able to breath a little easier. Always heard how a building project will test your patience. ..........

Thanks

Roy

crazy mark
09-15-2005, 12:11 AM
"Living in the Willamette Valley in the fall with that being done I'll be able to breath a little easier." Not unless you are out of the field burning smoke that was present today... Mark

brimic
09-15-2005, 04:12 AM
I've seen a version of the spanish mauser in .308 that uses the bolt handle as the safety lug before- there's a description of a Chilean Mauser like that on this site: http://64.82.96.51/maus-faq.htm But I don't what modle it is.

Buckshot
09-16-2005, 01:46 AM
I've seen a version of the spanish mauser in .308 that uses the bolt handle as the safety lug before- there's a description of a Chilean Mauser like that on this site: http://64.82.96.51/maus-faq.htm But I don't what modle it is.
...........I don't know what Spnaish made action that would be either. Spain did produce what THEY called a 1895, but it was a full stocked carbine similar to the Swede M94.

.............Buckshot