PDA

View Full Version : Marlin 336 with JM stamped barrel

buckwheatpaul
09-25-2013, 07:48 PM
Been reading a lot of posts for Marlin 336 with "JM" stamped barrels....what is the deal with the "JM" stamping.....

I appreciate the information and help.

Paul

Browningshooter
09-25-2013, 08:15 PM
It means that it was produced by Marlin Firearms Co. and NOT by Remington. The guns being produced by Remington have been getting some negative reviews... I havnt handled or shot a new Remington make so I cant speak on that. Someone will correct me if im wrong I hope..
- Will

TXGunNut
09-25-2013, 11:52 PM
There's a transition period as well, I recently bought one built in 2008 and I found a few cosmetic issues but so far it seems to shoot quite well. I think the manufacturing location change happened at a different time from the JM/REP change so it's not a clear line. With a few notable exceptions I think a Marlin is a damned good gun whether it be stamped JM or REP. I think most of the exceptions are toward the end of JM and the earliest REP's.

buckwheatpaul
09-26-2013, 07:58 AM
Boolit Bub, I appreciate your info....began casting and hunting since early 60's but been out of casting for 20 years and getting back into it.....Paul

Browningshooter
09-26-2013, 09:15 AM
Boolit Bub, I appreciate your info....began casting and hunting since early 60's but been out of casting for 20 years and getting back into it.....Paul

Your welcome Sir! Glad you are returning to the fold!
-Will

Browningshooter
09-26-2013, 09:20 AM
There's a transition period as well, I recently bought one built in 2008 and I found a few cosmetic issues but so far it seems to shoot quite well. I think the manufacturing location change happened at a different time from the JM/REP change so it's not a clear line. With a few notable exceptions I think a Marlin is a damned good gun whether it be stamped JM or REP. I think most of the exceptions are toward the end of JM and the earliest REP's.

That's good to know and I trust your judgement. I love Marlins and was saddened to hear that Remington may not have been doing them justice. It's good they got the bugs out...
- Will

Red Sky
09-26-2013, 05:42 PM
The Remington produced ones of today have returned to a similar level of quality as the JM stamped days from what I have seen and handled. I would caution to attempt to find a JM stamped used Marlin to ease your concerns if you can find exactly what you want, otherwise you should have no reservation buying a new one - just check it out first to make sure like many do for any gun purchase.

I have a Remington produced 1895GBL that had rifling-cutting issues that I had bought not long after the transition. I sent it to them and had the barrel replaced, and they definitely seem to have polished the action as well. It's a great shooter now, I would contend as much so as any JM stamped Marlin (though not better, either). I have also handled a Microgroove 336 (JM stamp) and found the quality of fit and finish between the two very similar. Again, that was not the case in the early days of the transition. Most that I have seen on the shelves now are similar in quality to that 336 and from all appearances Remington has gotten their act together.

Good luck with your choice!

pipehand
09-26-2013, 06:16 PM
I was recently in contact with Remington about an older Shotgun barrel, and asked about the 1894 series Marlins. I was told they are currently remapping them to the new CNC machines, and that it would be another year before we see the 1894's on dealer shelves.

Thatr said, all my Marlins are Marlins, not Remlins. If they can get the QC right, I'd be happy to buy a Rem marked 1894 in 357 or 45 LC.

Lead Fred
09-26-2013, 06:20 PM
Marlin VS Remlin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUOrbeQNi2E

robertbank
09-26-2013, 06:51 PM
Lead Fred this should ease your frustration a bit. I have a 336 made in 2012 and it is an outstanding gun. I bought it used and am very pleased. Quality is about what you would expect for a mass produced firearm in today's world.

I was surprised you used Ruger as an example of a quality produced firearm. I own two Ruger revolvers. Both had chambers that were to tight. The Ruger GP-100 had three cyliders that would not allow a .355 sized bullet to pass through them the BH's cylinders were very tight. Both required the cylinders to be reamed out in order to produce the accuracy Rugers are known for. Great kit guns to be sure but initial quality are not two words I would apply to the guns. They can be made into outstanding examples without much effort though.

Take Care

Bob

TXGunNut
09-26-2013, 10:07 PM
That's good to know and I trust your judgement. I love Marlins and was saddened to hear that Remington may not have been doing them justice. It's good they got the bugs out...
- Will

That's just my opinion, Will. I've handled dozens of Remlins but my newest was built in 2008. Seems to me fit and finish are getting better and a new levergun always feels a little rough until it gets a little TLC and honest wear. My problem is that I generally buy a rifle for cosmetic reasons and keep them for mechanical reasons. I've been meaning to buy a Remlin someday but all I run across are very plain or laminated stocks; I'm out on both counts
I'm guessing if someone put a nice set of Boyd stocks on a Remlin and carelessly left it on a used gun rack I'd be all over it!

Elkins45
09-28-2013, 10:07 AM
Not defending Marlin, but do you get the feeling that the guy who made that video is rarely satisfied by anything?

Referring to the service center guys as "young punks" probably isn't the best way to get good customer service. Just saying...

robertbank
09-28-2013, 12:10 PM
Not defending Marlin, but do you get the feeling that the guy who made that video is rarely satisfied by anything?

Referring to the service center guys as "young punks" probably isn't the best way to get good customer service. Just saying...

You have that correct. Sometimes you get the mob impression. My 336 was made in 2012 and is just fine.

Take Care

Bob

EDG
10-02-2013, 10:37 PM
Yes - He and I have traded a few youtube messages. He is definitely off in the weeds.

I have a long back ground in manufacturing. I have been involved in moving manufacturing from one company to another. Old companies often have old design drawings that were never corrected due to chincy management practice. Instead the manufacturing people mark up drawings and make their own sketches for use in the manufacturing instructions. When the half baked design drawings get transfered to the new company everyone is shocked when the product as manufactured to the design drawing stinks. DUH....
Then the new company has to have it's own engineers go through the drawings.
Now it appears that Remington is having the 1894 programmed for CNC. Well to properly have the 1894 programmed for CNC means they need solid models for the 1894. And the solid models have to be modeled and checked. But the models are being created from old design drawings with a lot of old errors so there is a lot of model checking.

((((Ok I will explain here about solid models. Original 2D drawings were mostly on their way out with the introduction of the Pentium chip about 1992. There was a lot of solid modeling before that in large companies but they used mainframes and mini computers which made modeling too expensive for a lot of smaller non-bleeding edge companies. When PCs got to the speed of the Pentium they could sort of run the large solid modeling programs. Today any good engineering PC can run those programs. Today's 2D drawings are derived from the models and the model is usually considered the master configuration )))

Then prototypes need to be made and tested. Then the models are updated to correct any errors found during prototyping. Then they make a first limited run and assemble and test. If everything is ok they start production. During all of this goat roping exercise management is saying "We gave you good drawings from Marlin. They were making good rifles. We gave you the drawings yesterday where are our parts"?

Yes Remington can engineer the Marlin. They can probably make it better than Marlin did but Marlin was wedded to some old ways. It is easier to leave the old ways behind by moving production to a new factory with a new staff. With new mangement and some money the old Marlin gang could have manufactured better rifles too.

Remington's main problem maybe to make new Marlin parts that still interchange with the old rifles after correcting all the errors.
Knowing Remington's expertise, if they go to CNC with good models we will all get better Marlins.

BTW Don't be surprised if the Marlin micro groove gimmick rifling finally gets left in the scap bin. There is no good reason to have different barrel sources.

Lead Fred
10-03-2013, 06:04 AM
Lead Fred this should ease your frustration a bit.

Not Me Bro, I have a 2002 JM :-D

Suo Gan
10-04-2013, 07:08 PM
This was just a concerted effort mainly started by a few old marlin employees to try and cause remington a headache. Well the old owners sold the company...blame them.

The good that came from this is that there can be no room at all for any kind of remington messups any more. The new guns ought to be great.

The micro groove barrels ought to have been left in the trash can a long time ago...just a extremely cheap way to crank out a barrel.

izzyjoe
10-05-2013, 01:00 PM
Micro groove barrels shoot very well, once you get the load figured out, just like any other rifle they work. anybody that's dissin' MG barrel's don't have a clue. they are not target barrels, but most i've been around will out shoot the Winny's any day!

TXGunNut
10-05-2013, 03:57 PM
I may disagree with another member's opinion but that doesn't mean he doesn't have a clue. It simply means one of us has more to learn on the subject, that person is generally me!

robertbank
10-05-2013, 04:36 PM
I may disagree with another member's opinion but that doesn't mean he doesn't have a clue. It simply means one of us has more to learn on the subject, that person is generally me!

+1 Well said.

Take Care

Bob

izzyjoe
10-05-2013, 06:49 PM
I'm sorry, i should have worded that different, just the first thing that popped in my head. i did'nt mean to offend any one.

Suo Gan
10-18-2013, 11:56 PM
If they were so good, the best barrel men would be turning them out...because the best riflemen would be buying them.

Granted a guy who takes a $300 Marlin out from behind his truck seat to shoot a deer is not in the class of the best rifleman. This is not to say that the man behind the trigger does not have the skill. Just as Kyle Petty could not be at his best with a Pinto on blown shocks. He could drive to the grocery store...probably do it quicker than a lot of folks with sports cars...but if given the chance Kyle would not drive the Pinto...BECAUSE THE PINTO IS NOT BETTER BY ANY STETCH OF THE IMAGINATION.

You can hit a pie plate all day long at 100 yards with cast bullets in a MG Marlin. But if you are taking that baby to Camp Perry, you would be going home son...take that to the bank.

Now back to fairy tales, where the best riflemen always choose MG barreled rifles. And "JM" stamped barrels were the best rifles ever made (hat over heart). And anyone who says anything different is clueless.