PDA

View Full Version : Size dies for star

beppe
09-25-2013, 03:20 PM
hello to all! the stars magma, they use size-dies the same as those for 4500 lyman or RCBS lube-matic?I'd get here (Italy) a star to size my bullets, anyone can send one that works well? I can pay with paypal.if possible have a star used very much, that I can fix like new, I do not know the prices, I hope one of you can help me. translator I hope that with this well-written! hello[smilie=s:

ffries61
09-25-2013, 03:37 PM
The Star lube-sizer uses a different sizing die than Lyman or RCBS, a member here makes dies for the Star, or you could use the Magma dies of course.

Fred

beppe
09-25-2013, 03:43 PM
and how much they cost the sizer die magma? and what does the member of the forum?

cbrick
09-25-2013, 05:07 PM
This is him,

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/forumdisplay.php?160-Lathesmith-s-Custom-Dies

I have some of his dies and they are every bit as good, possibly better than dies from Magma and they're less expensive.

Rick

wv109323
09-25-2013, 05:44 PM
Used Star sizer are in great demand here. Finding a good used one is tough and they get within 30-40% of new.Used ones go around $180.00 to $250.00 dollars. New ones are $325 or so. One member here makes the dies. I don't know if you watch E-bay but they are there quite often. I don't know about shipment to Italy.

beppe
09-25-2013, 08:15 PM
good, very good, I try to search on ebay USA, but my budget is not very high, I use the kit LEE lube-sizer and a lyman 4500, I'd like to also have a star.

1bluehorse
09-26-2013, 11:16 AM
Unless you need the double speed of the Star I would just be happy with the Lyman 4500...good lubrasizer..the Star won't size any better, it's just faster....but a bit more difficult to set up for different bullets....

cbrick
09-26-2013, 03:16 PM
Unless you need the double speed of the Star I would just be happy with the Lyman 4500...good lubrasizer..the Star won't size any better, it's just faster....

Actually that's not true. The Star (or the LEE push through) does size better, not only faster. Sizing nose first with a flat punch on a flat boolit base WILL size more concentrically than a nose punch on the nose of the boolit. Proved it to myself comparing sized boolits on a machine shop comparator. The difference was amazing.

Rick

ph4570
09-26-2013, 03:42 PM
^^^

Quite true and especially noticeable on the 22 boolits.

beppe
09-26-2013, 03:53 PM
let's see if I understand you correctly: the kit LEE is better than Star and lyman and RCBS because pushes the boolits from the base and not from the tip?and because they did not understand this? (Lyman ......)

cbrick
09-26-2013, 06:22 PM
No, the LEE is not better than the Star.

They are however both push through sizers making them similar in concentric sizing. One huge difference between the two is that you cannot lube with the LEE and the Star is of course a Lubrisizer.

Rick

jmort
09-26-2013, 06:30 PM
Not sure it is an issue of "better." More like, if you tumble lube or powder coat or epoxy coat, the Lee Precision sizer makes sense. If you "lubrisize" then the Star makes sense. As usual, for the $$$, the Lee sizer is a real good deal, and for the $$$ the Star is a real nice piece of equipment.

cbrick
09-26-2013, 07:10 PM
Not trying to say Star is a better method of sizing than LEE or LEE is a better method than Star. They are both push through so in that they are similar. The push through sizer is a better method than the in & out sizers because push through is more concentric.

Rick

beppe
09-26-2013, 07:22 PM
ok, now I get it, I first thought that the star was chosen because it is a faster method unlike in & out, I did not think the concentricity.