PDA

View Full Version : 357 Cast SWC at 200 Yards

Win94ae
09-25-2013, 02:55 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATOIRkloAz0

I like to see how far I can get my 686 to shoot with whatever load I develop; these boolits can get me to 200 yards with my present stock setup.

The sight setting is 20 clicks more than the 150 yard setting.

I'd get further if I could get these bullets to go faster, but seeing that my frame constricts the bore significantly, I can't achieve a velocity over 750fps without extreme leading... but I'm okay with that, I'll use jacketed bullets when I need that extra oomph.

bobthenailer
09-26-2013, 08:49 AM
You dont say what bullet you are using , but IMO you should be using a 180 gr bullet for best accuracy at 200 yards.
IN my 357 SS pistol with the RCBS 200gr-fn bullet, my 25 shot group of 2 1/4 inches at 100 yards from a bench with a 2x7 pistol scope, ive shot several 1 inch groups but the 2 1/4 " is repeatable real world accuracy .
You can probley use the rcbs bullet loaded in 38 special cases in your revolver.

Win94ae
09-26-2013, 09:50 AM
You dont say what bullet you are using , but IMO you should be using a 180 gr bullet for best accuracy at 200 yards.
IN my 357 SS pistol with the RCBS 200gr-fn bullet, my 25 shot group of 2 1/4 inches at 100 yards from a bench with a 2x7 pistol scope, ive shot several 1 inch groups but the 2 1/4 " is repeatable real world accuracy .
You can probley use the rcbs bullet loaded in 38 special cases in your revolver.

I'm using the Lee 158gr bullet. I bought my molds at Midway and didn't see a 180gr .358 bullet. I use 180gr jacketed bullets and regularly get 1.75" 100 yard groups at 1080fps; so I would have preferred a 180gr... but I'm fine with this, I don't plan on hunting with these cast bullets.

jmort
09-26-2013, 10:11 AM
Based on the video it works. I did not know the 686 had such a significant restriction. That is unfortunate.

detox
09-26-2013, 11:01 AM
Whenever i learn how to properly hold and shoot this gun I will remove scope. Here is my factory stock 686 with adjustable front sight for long range shooting. It has four settings and each are adjustable. You lower front sight for longer yardages. Elmer Keith would file slots on his front sight.

I do not think your 686 has any restriction. It is most likely your load.

Win94ae
09-26-2013, 11:56 AM
I do not think your 686 has any restriction. It is most likely your load.

I slugged the bore constriction at .352".

Win94ae
09-26-2013, 11:59 AM
Based on the video it works. I did not know the 686 had such a significant restriction. That is unfortunate.

I would think it would be revolver specific. I'm okay with it, I just need to shoot jacketed bullets when not plinking.

detox
09-26-2013, 12:09 PM
S&W has five rifle grooves in barrel...difficult to measure. If it does have constriction you can use soft 20/1 alloy to orbutrate better and lead barrel less.

Ruger 45lc Blackhawks are well known for this restriction. Softer alloy was the only alloy that would shoot without leading barrel full length in mine.

Win94ae
09-26-2013, 03:23 PM
S&W has five rifle grooves in barrel...difficult to measure.
I wrap a piece of sheet metal around it, squeeze tightly with vice-grips or what have you, measure, then subtract the sheet metal thicknessx2.
There is a constriction. After I got the slug started down the barrel, when it reached the frame the slug needed extra force to continue.
It really isn't that unbelievable.

If it does have constriction you can use soft 20/1 alloy to orbutrate better and lead barrel less.

Ruger 45lc Blackhawks are well known for this restriction. Softer alloy was the only alloy that would shoot without leading barrel full length in mine.

I tried soft alloy first, the same I use for the 38 loads, pure lead. Then I tried a little harder, then a bit harder; still didn't work... I'll simply hunt with jacketed bullets; these cast 38s are working wonderfully for practice.

roverboy
09-26-2013, 07:04 PM
Your doing good at 200 yards. I've shot my .357 at long range some too. Its fun to see what these guns will do at ranges that people say they are useless. I took a wild shot at a crow with my .357 at around 275 yards once. I wish I could say I hit him but.........I hit about 2 feet in front of him. It was still fun though.

Win94ae
09-27-2013, 01:03 AM
Your doing good at 200 yards. I've shot my .357 at long range some too. Its fun to see what these guns will do at ranges that people say they are useless. I took a wild shot at a crow with my .357 at around 275 yards once. I wish I could say I hit him but.........I hit about 2 feet in front of him. It was still fun though.

Thank you!
That is what my intentions were with these cast bullets, to have fun, and to be cost effective to get more practice.

detox
09-27-2013, 10:48 AM
I have never slugged the bore of my 686 (I may have some constriction as you described). I just size the boolits to .357 and lube with SPG. Barrel has never leaded in rifling, but has leaded a "little" inside cylinder charge holes and exterior of cylinder. I have used Linotype, 20/1 and Lyman#2 and all shoot better than me.

Try different lube maybe. Alox also worked good in this gun. I preheat alox bottle in microwave for 30 seconds then squirt alox into baggy of boolits then roll around until all are covered. I then remove from baggy and set boolits on bases until alox has hardened. Load rounds then remove excess using rag soaked with mineral spirits. Mineral spririts works best at removing this nasty stuff from nose of boolit.

Powders i have used: Bullseye, n32c, Trail Boss, Unique. All work good at 50 yards.

Boolits i have tried and are accurate: 158gr RCBS Cowboy, 158gr Lyman Cowboy

I have not had good luck using the latest Lee moulds. Their designs look good, but mould does not hold up well. RCBS is lots better quality and way more durable. Sometime you have to spend more

Jacketed bullets are boring

roverboy
09-27-2013, 06:09 PM
Long range shooting with a handgun is fun. I'd like to build a gong type target and sling lead at it at long range. I love hearing that ping sound.

Thumbcocker
09-28-2013, 10:55 AM
I never get tired of seeing the gong twist and then hearing the plang.