PDA

View Full Version : Large ring Mauser action barrel swap

lonewolf5347
09-25-2013, 10:03 AM
I like to ask any one have or know of some small time smith who can swap a barrel for me with out taking out a bank loan.
I have a large ring Mauser action that has a new 8x57 barrel on it military that was installed a few years back,my son did use the rifle but one day forgot to clean-when hunting in bad weather.
The rifle still shoots excellent but the barrel has some rust and Pitts:I would like to change the barrel to a 20" and run a 7x57 cal. on it.
I see by to day prices it cheaper just to go out a buy a new gun compared to the barrel swap from a few company I inquired.

rmcc
09-25-2013, 10:10 AM
Try Competition Specialties. 641-342-2011 ask for Rick

nicholst55
09-25-2013, 10:25 AM
Call John Ross, 814.442.3351. His prices are eminently reasonable and he doesn't take years to get around to working on your gun.

bruce drake
09-25-2013, 10:30 AM
Where do you live? There are a large number of us on this forum who have the equipment and know-how to pull a Mauser LR barrel. If you lived in Indiana, I'd tell you to PM me for directions to my house and I'd have your barrel pulled and replaced with your replacement barrel within an afternoon for the price of conversation during the process.

Bruce

lonewolf5347
09-25-2013, 01:55 PM
I am in Nassau county N.Y.S.
my other resident is in N.C. Calabash

Uncle Grinch
09-25-2013, 05:26 PM
I like to ask any one have or know of some small time smith who can swap a barrel for me with out taking out a bank loan.
I have a large ring Mauser action that has a new 8x57 barrel on it military that was installed a few years back,my son did use the rifle but one day forgot to clean-when hunting in bad weather.
The rifle still shoots excellent but the barrel has some rust and Pitts:I would like to change the barrel to a 20" and run a 7x57 cal. on it.
I see by to day prices it cheaper just to go out a buy a new gun compared to the barrel swap from a few company I inquired.

I have actually wondered the same thing. With quite a few Mausers rebarreled in my past, it has become quite expensive, i.e., $500+ to have a decent sporter made up. Everyone knows you can pick up a Marlin, or Mossberg, and often a used Remington, or Interarms Mark X, for less than $400. My son wanted a 35 Whelen built on one of our many actions we have. He finally picked up a used Rem 700 30-06 for $315 and is going to have JES rebore it to 35 Whelen for $225. Still a lot of money.

Long story here, but with so many of our group capable of helping out an internet buddy, it would be great to have something documented on our GUNSMITHING thread to this effect. Even better would be to include a location element.

Reg
09-25-2013, 05:58 PM
Long story here, but with so many of our group capable of helping out an internet buddy, it would be great to have something documented on our GUNSMITHING thread to this effect. Even better would be to include a location element.[/QUOTE]

Better be careful here. Working on guns is about like making whiskey. Do all you want for yourself but starting to do it for others and uncle sugar steps in.
What you do quietly for a friend is far different that to advertise here or anywhere else you would do it for nothing or little expense. It is called gunsmithing without a license. You might think of many ways around it but in the world we have today all you do is get caught once or tick off the wrong person and all of a sudden that freebie isn't so cheap anymore.
Just my .02 worth.

offshore44
09-25-2013, 06:23 PM
Unfortunately, the above is the case today. It would be nice to do this, but I wouldn't want the ATF&E crawling up my hind end because somebody gets a burr under their saddle and wants to make points with the boss. It may be strictly legal, but I don't have the money or time to prove that point to some bureaucrat.

Jeff Michel
09-25-2013, 07:19 PM
The above comments about gun repair without a license is basically all true, except in the case of Mr. Drakes generous offer. Do it in one day, no records are kept even if you're a gunsmith with an 01 license. If done under those auspices there won't be any hassles from the ATF

flounderman
09-25-2013, 08:03 PM
I don't think there is any law about using someones vise and wrench and screwing it off yourself and replacing it with another barrel.

Reg
09-25-2013, 08:04 PM
If you are a licensed gunsmith , you had better go back and read your handbook.

The above comments about gun repair without a license is basically all true, except in the case of Mr. Drakes generous offer. Do it in one day, no records are kept even if you're a gunsmith with an 01 license. If done under those auspices there won't be any hassles from the ATF

bruce drake
09-25-2013, 09:22 PM
I don't think there is any law about using someones vise and wrench and screwing it off yourself and replacing it with another barrel.

The gentleman in question if he lived nearby would rent the reamer and headspace gauges himself and bring the replacement barrel with him and would be given my knowledge, my vice and action wrench to use for free for him to turn off his own barrel and spin his own replacement back on and then ream the chamber by hand himself. Not a single thing a hobby gunsmith can't do himself if he had the knowledge and his own tools. Not a single moment during the maybe 2-3 hour operation would he have to transfer the custody of the rifle to me since he would be present with his own property the whole time.

AS long as he cranks the barrel and cuts the chamber himself, he is the one responsible for the rifle and its rebarrel/chambering. I'm just there assisting him with the process as his ASSISTANT.

Oh, and I just rechambered two 8mm Mausers to 8mm-06 this evening. 2 hours and some careful cutting and measuring, I helped a friend freshen a oval chambered Mauser and I cut an extra Mauser of mine into a new wildcat of my own to experiment with this winter.

Bruce

Uncle Grinch
09-25-2013, 09:38 PM
Yeap... the world has changed. Better safe than sorry. Oh well....

TCLouis
09-25-2013, 10:27 PM
This thread is a perfect example of why it is handy to have at least ones state of residence listed.

As Bruce said , 'If you are in Indiana . . .'.

If we all just put at least the state is listed then a lot of effort could be saved and/or a proper reference could be provided.

Jeff Michel
10-03-2013, 06:02 PM
http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/gunsmiths.html #2 frequently asked questions. For what it's worth, there isn't a license for being a 'Gunsmith" you acquire an 01 FFL so you can work on guns.

If you are a licensed gunsmith , you had better go back and read your handbook.

lonewolf5347
10-07-2013, 12:04 PM
I did take the scope off the action and did notice what I thought was maybe a BNZ or a FN action turns out that it is a Large Ring
FABRICA DE ARMAS - LA CORUNA 1946 SPANISH MAUSER 98
The action is smooth I think for a replaced barrel in 6.5x55 it should be strong enough for the upgrade.I know for a fact we must of fireat leastst 100 rounds threw the bore with 8MM sierra bullets with no problems.