PDA

View Full Version : Lead Hardness for bullets over rated?

capt.hollis
09-24-2013, 08:55 PM
What ya think guys? As long as your using the correct bullet lube, and sized correctly would it really matter how hard that bullet really is? Leading in a barrel is not caused soft bullets, it's caused by not using the correct bullet size for your barrel in most cases right? That's why I'm asking .

Browningshooter
09-24-2013, 09:18 PM
I believe fit to be the most important factor to a proper shooting non-leading load. However, there is a limit. if you try to drive a soft lead boolit at 2600fps the velocity will exceed the soft boolit ability to grip the rifling and not strip. Leading and poor accuracy will ensue.... http://www.lasc.us/Fryxell_Book_Chapter_7_Leading.htm I think you will find this chapter interesting!

-Will

1bilmr59
09-24-2013, 09:26 PM
Good points I am looking forward to other opinions Thanks for your post.

capt.hollis
09-24-2013, 09:30 PM
I believe fit to be the most important factor to a proper shooting non-leading load. However, there is a limit. if you try to drive a soft lead boolit at 2600fps the velocity will exceed the soft boolit ability to grip the rifling and not strip. Leading and poor accuracy will ensue.... http://www.lasc.us/Fryxell_Book_Chapter_7_Leading.htm I think you will find this chapter interesting!

-WillBrowning, I sure do like that link. Thanks there is lots of info there!

Larry Gibson
09-24-2013, 10:05 PM
Lee's psi scale is not relative if that's what you're asking. Take the 30-06 for instance with the 311291; given a psi of 30,000 with Unique will do a lot more damage (unbalancing) during acceleration than will the same 30,000 psi generated with 4895. Akin to moving a lump of clay 20 feet with the slap of a hammer vs the push of your hand. Accuracy will go south at a lower velocity using the Unique and at a lower psi than with 4895.

Larry Gibson

Browningshooter
09-24-2013, 10:26 PM
Browning, I sure do like that link. Thanks there is lots of info there!

You're welcome! I have read " From Ingot to- target" a couple of times and reference it often. It's a must read IMHO. Also, Mr. Fryxell has a lot of great articles on that site. Enjoy!
-Will