PDA

View Full Version : Bullet Lube

Pappy 1
09-24-2013, 07:44 PM
I have some not so old bullets for my 50/90. The bullets are 10 years old. The lube on them looks to be old and dried out. I put the bullets in a double broiler and melted the old lube off. I lube the bullets in SPG lube. I went out and shot at the range the other day trying the new lube bullets. The SPG lube did not perform very well like the old lube did on the same bullets. Does bullet lube make that much of a difference on accuracy. I did shoot a 2.5 inch group with the old lube bullets. I reloaded theses 10 years ago, The only difference I did was to use SPG lube. I reloaded everything else the same but did't have very good luck on accuracy. Back to the reloading bench or maybe it was the shooters fault. I hope I can come up with a load before Elk season. I surly would like to have the chance to shoot one with the buffalo gun

357maximum
09-24-2013, 07:53 PM
Does bullet lube make an accuracy difference? Epic whizzing matches have been started over that question.

SHORT ANSWER is YES

I would go back to what you lubed with when you were happy with the load....or test yourself with another rifle. If nothing else has changed it is either the lube or it is you.

runfiverun
09-25-2013, 06:23 PM
i think that spg has changed formula in the recent past also.

detox
09-27-2013, 06:09 PM
I wonder if boiling the boolits changed hardness of alloy.

I like using 20/1 alloy, SPG, .060 Walters wad, Goex FFG Black Powder in my Browning 1885 BPCR. For best accuracy i run wet patch down bore between every shot. Gun has shoot 1" groups at 100"