PDA

View Full Version : Help with 5.7 Dies, heads, and load

cundiff5535
09-24-2013, 07:30 PM
Looking for someone who has experience reloading 5.7 ammo. I have a RCBS rockchucker that I am going to use as well as a shell plate that I was told is the best (a guy in the FN forums sold me it (I guess he makes them).

Since I have the shell plate and press, I need the following:

1. Dies
2. Powder
3. Projectiles

The load I am going to use will dictate the powder, and heads I am going to use. I prefer to use Win 231 powder (I have lots of it)... Anyone have any recommendations on heads, a load I can use with 231? If not, any suggestions on powder and heads?

I am also looking for folks with experience loading 5.7... I would like to get dies for loading. All my die sets are Dillon (I load almost everything on XL650's and 1050's)... So, I am going back a bit. Since Dillon doesnt offer dies in 5.7, can someone tell me who makes the best dies out there for 5.7? I have read mixed reviews on everything except for Lee dies. I have no experience with anything other than Dillon dies though. Anyone want to chime in and help me out here?

Longhill
09-25-2013, 02:06 AM
I've been using Lee sizing and bullet seating with very good results.
Before I received a custom shell plate for a Dillon 550b, sized the cases on a Lee Classic Cast single stage press. Trimmed the cases with a Lyman universal power case trimmer. First swaged on a Dillon 600 super swager, but found it easier to use a reamer to clean up the crimp. Using the 550 to drop the powder and seating the bullet.
I have only used HS6 @6grs. with Hornaday V-Max 40gr. bullet for a PS90 rifle.
No signs of over pressure or cycling issues. (Work up your own loads, safety first)
W231 from what I read is too fast burning.
What works for the rifle may not work for the pistol.