PDA

View Full Version : Free "No Guns, No Money Cards"

Down South
09-24-2013, 07:10 PM
I'm in the process of moving my primary residency from Louisiana to Texas. While searching the CCW R&R's of both States I ran across this on the Handgun laws US Site. http://www.learntocarry.com/nogunsnomoney/
It's a link to free printable "No Guns, No Money" cards to give to businesses that post "No Firearms Allowed Signs". I thought that was neat.
The link was posted on the Handgun Laws US site on the bottom of Pg 6 here. http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/louisiana.pdf

Anyway, I've held a Louisiana CCW for years but I will have to forfeit it as soon as I change residency. I'm trying to figure if there is a wait period in Tx before I can pick up a Tx permit. Do I have to live in Tx 6 months before I can apply? I hate to have a lapse without a permit but it appears that I may not have a choice.
Anybody have any info that I may not be aware of?

Charley
09-24-2013, 08:54 PM
Here's Texas law, you should be able to skip the six month wait, look at sections 411-172 and 411-173.http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/InternetForms/Forms/CHL-16.pdf

Down South
09-24-2013, 09:19 PM
Here's Texas law, you should be able to skip the six month wait, look at sections 411-172 and 411-173.http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/InternetForms/Forms/CHL-16.pdf
Yes, I thought that I remembered reading it somewhere. I wonder if I can luck up on someone who knows that in the license department.
Even if I can apply right away there will still be a lapse but it will be 6 months shorter.

Thanks for the info, Sam

km101
09-24-2013, 10:24 PM
No there is not a wait to apply for a CHL in Texas. In fact you can apply on line. You will have to have a Texas driver's license before you can apply, as the state uses you DL picture as the picture for your CHL. And you must provide a Texas DL/ID number for the application.

http://www.texas.gov/en/Pages/default.aspx

This will get you to the home page for the CHL application. :Fire:

geargnasher
09-24-2013, 11:48 PM
In the meantime, make the most of the rights specifically outlined in the Texas Castle Doctrine.

Gear

Down South
09-25-2013, 07:16 AM
Thanks for the info guys. I figured out the part about the Tx drivers license. Once I get the Tx License, I have to forfeit my La Concealed Carry.
I'm still working on other issues of relocating, checking out the pros and cons of swapping states. I have the option to remain a La resident but in reality I should claim Tx as home. I work here and stay here most of the time making a trip back to La about once a month to my house there.

starmac
09-25-2013, 01:41 PM
I don't know if Texas law has changed or not, but when I graduated high school I headed to Laport to work, and was pulled over in Baytown before I even got there. I was informed that since I had a job, that I had got on the phone and hadn't even reported in to, that he could jail me for having a NM license and tags. I could visit for 30 days without changing them, but legally I had zero days if I went to work. Before this confrontation was over, I told him to prove I had a job, I had gotten it on the phone and I could call back and quit if I wanted to. lol

I did however a couple months later in pasadena get a ticket and have to go to court, for NO drivers license and tags, because I still hadn't changed them. lol

Bad Water Bill
09-25-2013, 02:37 PM
You might try looking at NON RESIDENT CCW licensing and see if it will work for you.

Down South
09-25-2013, 03:23 PM
I don't know if Texas law has changed or not, but when I graduated high school I headed to Laport to work, and was pulled over in Baytown before I even got there. I was informed that since I had a job, that I had got on the phone and hadn't even reported in to, that he could jail me for having a NM license and tags. I could visit for 30 days without changing them, but legally I had zero days if I went to work. Before this confrontation was over, I told him to prove I had a job, I had gotten it on the phone and I could call back and quit if I wanted to. lol

I did however a couple months later in pasadena get a ticket and have to go to court, for NO drivers license and tags, because I still hadn't changed them. lol
If this were my only residence then that law applies to me. I ran into the same problem in Mississippi back in the early 70's when my wife and I moved there for a couple years. I had a trooper riding my butt to get it all changed over or else. Mississippi took me to the cleaners when I tagged my car there. It was tough for a sawmill hand with two kids to pay that when I was having problems putting groceries on the table and buying clothes for the kids. I saw my wife put $10 jeans on layaway and wait a month before she could get them. Times were tough back then.
I have a house/home in Louisiana and a residence here but I travel back to "Home" about every 30 days. I "Think" that I am legal in doing that. I have La listed as my primary residence.

Now an iffy part. I just bought a new to me car. My Louisiana insurance won't insure it because they say it stays in Tx most of the time. So I have to purchase insurance in Tx for the car. Auto insurance from state to state is crazy so I won't go into detail about it. But as I was purchasing the car, I was advised to tag it in Tx so I did. Now I'm all mixed up. I have a car tagged for Tx with a La drivers license. I have a residence in Tx and La. I have insurance companies giving me a hard time. I have another car and truck tagged in La.
I may have put the screws to myself tagging that car in Tx but from what I was told, I’m OK.

There is one point that I have not mentioned. Tx does not have State Income Tax. I would save thousands of dollars in state tax on an annual basis. But, if I have to tag my other vehicles in Tx, it will cost me thousands of dollars.
There is more to this equation than I can or will mention here. I really want to get back to Louisiana because it's home. But I may have to stay here until I retire in 4-1/2 yrs. You Tx guys, don't take me wrong. I really like Tx but my roots are east of here. I have a nice house on a peaceful lake in La that I'm going home to some day for good.
I’m trying to figure out the best for the situation I am in at present.

John Guedry
09-25-2013, 04:54 PM
Sorry to see ya'll leave,but come on back when you retire.