PDA

View Full Version : Guess I am getting old...

novalty
09-24-2013, 04:28 PM
Ran over to my LGS on my lunch break yesterday, and was looking for some 357 sig. ammo for an uncle-in-law. Have been searching my local Wally World since April, and they have yet to receive any 357 sig in. Well I look over the ammo boxes on the shelf behind the counter, and see 4 boxes of American Eagle so I ask the guy behing the counter how much. He strolls over to the box and looks at the price tag, and back to to me says the price. Well I couldn't make out if he said $26 or $46. So I repeat $26 as it is clearly a box of 50 rounds, and my vague memory is telling me they were $36/100 (WWB) last year. The guy standing next to me starts laughing at me, and the salesman chuckles and corrects me that it is $46/box
:holysheep...

Apparently thinking that 357 sig ammo could be as low as $.52/rd betore tax--was funny. Am I too out-of-date on 357 sig prices? Are they really $0.97/rd?

Springfield
09-24-2013, 04:52 PM
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/523468/sbr-match-ammunition-357-sig-147-grain-total-copper-jacket-box-of-50

I hope you told them to stick it.

Swamp Man
09-24-2013, 04:53 PM
Your not the only one that must be getting old because it seems everything is 2-3 times more then it should be now. They make the guns out of cheap metal and plastic now and charge twice as much for that **** as a well built gun should cost.

bhn22
09-24-2013, 06:50 PM
If you can't outlaw 'em, at least make guns so expensive, and such a pain in the butt that people quit shooting out of frustration.

GRUMPA
09-24-2013, 07:13 PM
I've been saying it for years which seems to fall on deaf ears. Make ammo so expensive your the proud owner of a 6 Lb club. I try and stay away from the only LGS I know of that's close, I was there yesterday. I saw 2 boxes of 22LR on the shelf (500 rd boxes) and asked how much, he looked at me with a straight face and told me they were $55ea. Glad I learned casting and swaging a very long time ago, don't think I could afford to own anything let alone use it with any regularity with the cost of feeding it.

garym1a2
09-24-2013, 08:43 PM
That's why we cast and roll out own. 45acp for 5 cents a round.

tg32-20
09-24-2013, 09:48 PM
I was at a place yesterday that sells only ammo and a few cleaning things. They used to carry primers and powder, so I thought it was worth a stop. No powder or primers.
I see that they have some 22lr. Aguilla in 500 rd. boxes, the price is $64.99 a box, I say omg! the guy behind me says "I will take two" He leaves and I say to the clerk that I know isn't that a little high.
He tries to tell me that the price to them has really went up and that they sell all that they can get so why not.

I hope this is not the new norm!

searcher4851
09-24-2013, 09:57 PM
I think it's still the effect of the shortage. As things become more readily available, prices will come down even at LGS like the one you visited. It irritates me, but at the same time I can sort of understand the inflated prices. There's been a long dry spell for guns and ammunition supply, and these places still have overhead to take care of. If they have to charge those prices to keep the lights on and the doors open, so be it. I'd rather they stayed in business instead of limiting my options in the future.

unclogum bill
09-24-2013, 11:01 PM
Well dear folks if you can't control guns next best is bullets. Bought 100 of brass for my 7.62x54R last week. Today I bought 2,000 primers, last month bought the casting mold. Next step will be building up powder. Already had the lead. They will tax the heck out of it to start. Cheaper, It will not happen. A real smart guy would pay cash. Tough to track that.

Swamp Man
09-25-2013, 03:04 PM
They way I look at it is if you try to screw me over in hard times don't look for my money in the good times.

gbrown
09-25-2013, 03:15 PM
As most of you know, reduced load rounds are cheap and easy. I'm not worried about .22. Still have some, but I can load my rifle calibers down so grandsons can shoot them or I can hunt with them. Some of them are really accurate. I can wait a long, long time before I feel the need to pay gougers their prices. I still have plenty of components.

FISH4BUGS
09-26-2013, 06:17 AM
As a machine gun shooter, I used to buy ammo by the case. Mostly milsurp. Then that started to dry up, and prices went up. I had been casting for handguns, so I changed to shooting cast in the submachineguns.
I had always bought my stuff in lots of 1-5,000 - brass, primers and powder. Boy am I glad I did!
I have components now to load almost as many as I want. I find with the scarcity of powder I am not shooting as much as before. But casting sure has been a Godsend for me.
Loading cast with WW231 (2 8lb jugs in stock) powder can give you a TON of ammo in 9mm, 38, 380, 357 and 45. 30k primers in the closet. 2000 lbs of lead. Plenty of lube.
I was at a LARGE gun shop the other day and asked out of curiosity if they had an WW748 (for 308 and 223), knowing that they didn't of course. He scratched his head and said I think we just got a few 8 lb jugs in....let me look. They did and I bought one on the spot, along with 5,000 SP primers. I really didn't need them but hey...they won't go bad. My good luck!
I am a hoarder and proud of it!

Taylor3006
09-26-2013, 07:21 AM
L
I've been saying it for years which seems to fall on deaf ears. Make ammo so expensive your the proud owner of a 6 Lb club. I try and stay away from the only LGS I know of that's close, I was there yesterday. I saw 2 boxes of 22LR on the shelf (500 rd boxes) and asked how much, he looked at me with a straight face and told me they were $55ea. Glad I learned casting and swaging a very long time ago, don't think I could afford to own anything let alone use it with any regularity with the cost of feeding it.

I started saying the same thing back in the 90's when some DC moron suggested a 1000% tax on ammo. It was sobering when I realized that a firearm without ammunition was a pricey club. That's when I traded in a handgun for my Rockchucker setup and stocked up on components. It makes sense when you ponder it, they have done it before with machine guns. Made it too expensive and too tuff for yer average stiff to own one. They also made cigarettes so expensive that (for good or bad) many people have quit but opening up a nice black market for smokes. There is no reason to believe that the meatheads in DC won't use the same strategy on ammo.

captaint
09-26-2013, 07:57 AM
We just need to let these guys keep their precious ammo. They'll get tired of looking at it on the shelf and realize they've lost the game. I haven't purchased any centerfire ammo in 15 years. Really..... Mike

groovy mike
09-26-2013, 08:46 AM
I haven't purchased any centerfire ammo in 15 years. Really..... Mike

I'm a decade behind you, but when ammo soared to the ridiculous price of 20 cents per cartridge, I bought my last factory loaded centerfire ammo. I looked at 45-70 ammo on the shelf recently and was shocked that it is $2 per cartridge. $40 per box of 20. That is just silly.

I immediately went home and cast up 100 projectiles, sized, lubed and loaded them for about 20 CENTS per cartridge.

Hardcast416taylor
09-26-2013, 09:44 AM
Last Fall a Russian Mosin Nagant 91/30 at a local Dunhams store was selling for $88 on sale from $109. Now they are selling the same rifle for $149 on sale from $199. Amazing how valuable that almost a century old cosmoline has gotten?Robert

novalty
09-26-2013, 09:59 AM
Well I only got back into shooting in 2008, when my grandfather had passed away and handed down to me a Ruger Ranch Rifle. At that point I remember Remington .223 being $7.99/20, and WWB Value Pack 9mm being $19.99/100, WWB Value Pack 45acp $29.99/100, Remington 250 round 45acp Value Packs $75.99. I started reloading a couple years ago, and started casting this year. Talk about sticker shock, when I saw the same WWB's for 9mm $26.99, and 45acp skyrocketing to $42.99 and Remington 250 Round 45acp Value Packs at a staggering $109.99.

missionary5155
09-26-2013, 10:53 AM
Good morning
Old = having to lean on a staff just to stand up.
Mature = any age older than the feller standing next to you.
Therefore as you can still walk, talk, look for ammo, communicate (even though slightly shooter impared) and relate the story never fall into the thinking trap you are old. That is for "staff leaners" only.
Mike in Peru (Still kick starting refusing to be bound to electrical discharges)

bob208
09-26-2013, 12:17 PM
old well I don't know just filed for my ss benefits today. but I do remember getting .45acp for $7.00 a hundred $5.00 if you wanted corrosive. .30-06 ran about the same.

quilbilly
09-26-2013, 12:21 PM
I was at one of my customers yesterday (I wholesale fishing tackle) as they were getting in a fresh batch of ammo from a large wholesaler.
I listened to them gasp at some of the wholesale price increases and aske each other how they were going to keep "range ammo" at a reasonable price. If memory serves, they were talking about American Eagle some of the time.

novalty
09-26-2013, 12:25 PM
Well I feel old anyway, diagnosed with Juvenile Rheumatoid Arthiritis at age 7, both hips replaced at age 24, at age 27 oral cancer diagnosis and treatment with 10 hour surgery, 30 visits to get my face put in a microwave, and 4 treatments of glow-in-the dark . Turn 33 in a couple weeks, my body sounds like a someone breaking spaghetti when I get out of bed in the morning. I've received more shots, blood work, scar tissue then most accumulate in their lifetime.

My experience the other day at the LGS was more of the old as in: when I was a kid gas was...

Yesterday the LGS was outdone by the local hardware store, who I spotted having ammo in a small case. 20 round box of .223 for $31.99, and some apparently specialized .223 that must be used for bringing down surveillance drones or satellites for $41.99 for 20 rounds.

rockrat
09-26-2013, 01:12 PM
My LGS has Federal 36gr hp boxes of 550 for $49.99 and mini-mag for $10.99 box/100

I buy factory ammo at gun shows, as long as its not over $20/box for some harder to get stuff (356win or 6.5 rem mag). sometimes lucky, but good deals are hard to come by. otherwise, just load my own. Did splurge and get some 338 ME for 2/$45, since I was buying his 338 ME bullets for $20/bx