PDA

View Full Version : Block screw broke off in lyman double cavity mold

azchisum
09-24-2013, 03:07 PM
Block screw broke off in lyman double cavity mold..
The handle are on the mold.
The screw is broken off just enough that you can't get the mold off the handles.
I have tried with a small srew driver and pick to get the screw moving.
So far no luck.. Any suggestions

Rattlesnake Charlie
09-24-2013, 03:21 PM
Go in with a drill bit that is just small enough to pass through the hole in the blocks. Proceed easily as you want the bit to work on the screw as straight as it can. If you get enough of the screw drilled off/out, the handles can be pryed out. Then, hopefully you will be able to grip the remaining screw stub with pliers and turn it out a bit. May have to cut it into pieces with Dremel tool at that point.

If the drill bit won't run straight, you might try a Dremel cylindrical grinding bit down through the hold in the block. As long as a replacement screw has a fair amount of block for alignment, messing up a little of the hole will not ruin the mold.

If the screw is really stuck, get some penetrating oil on it right away. Kroil is my first choice. Master Blaster is next choice.

azchisum
09-24-2013, 03:39 PM
Thanks will give that a try..

wiliamr
09-24-2013, 04:24 PM
another trick - get from hobby shop some brass tube, slip that into the hole and drill.. protects the edges of the screw hole for the handles

376Steyr
09-24-2013, 04:40 PM
As a veteran of many a botched DIY repair job, I suggest leaving the handles permanently attached to the mould and buying a new set of handles for your other moulds.

lancem
09-24-2013, 04:49 PM
As a veteran of many a botched DIY repair job, I suggest leaving the handles permanently attached to the mould and buying a new set of handles for your other moulds.

^^^ +1

Zymurgy50
09-24-2013, 04:56 PM
Left had twist drill bit.

bhn22
09-24-2013, 06:46 PM
Left had twist drill bit.

This is likely your best option.

country gent
09-24-2013, 06:57 PM
Reach in with a small punch and lightly tap straight down on the screw, this will help to loosen the threads. Grind a small straight chiesel and cut a slot that it can grip in may allow turning it out. A left hand drill bit will remove it if you have a drill to turn it. Broken screws can be a real pain to get out. Buying a second set of handles will insure the next casting session the screw will loosen and fall out.

gray wolf
09-26-2013, 10:09 AM
Leave the handles on the mold with a drop of penetrating oil on the screw.
Use the mold and and the tapping and heat changes will probably loosen the screw enough so a small pick or a needle can get it moving. Pick at it on one edge in the direction to turn it out.
If you need extra handles, get them. As of now the problem is reversible. If you screw up trying to drill it out it will be what it is.
I had this happen with a very nice mold about two years ago and panicked, I was shocked at how easy it came out just using the method I said above.
Good luck.
Edit to say
Drilling a screw out can be done very successfully (if you know what your doing)

Gtek
09-26-2013, 11:42 AM
If it were me- I would turn sized sleeve to fit hole and center drill creating drill guide. drill screw with carbide and probably hand turn removal with easy out. Or drill small center in screw and hit with left handed bit. Doubt it is bottomed in dead hole, just need to turn it. Gtek

SODAPOPMG
09-27-2013, 09:11 PM
I will second using the "just use them method" i have had all the screws loosen up at one time or another while casting
so just keep using them until the screw falls out on it"s own you can help this along by using Kano Kroil a really good penetrating oil which will loosen up rust and keep it from forming

John Boy
09-27-2013, 10:21 PM
Block screw broke off in lyman double cavity mold..
Be sure to apply some 50:50 ATF - Acetone to the frozen threads before you drill it out with the left hand bit