PDA

View Full Version : better than chore-boy and hoppes 9?

gunoil
09-24-2013, 02:29 PM
Any one reccomend anything for cleaning lead out of micro pistol barrels other than chore-boy and (bore) hoppes#9? Whats your method?

fouronesix
09-24-2013, 03:17 PM
Chore boy plus Hoppes 9 or Kroil. Or bronze wool plus Hoppes 9 or Kroil. Or steel wool plus Hoppes 9 or Kroil. Some use a Scotch pad but you have to be careful because there are types of scrubbing pads that are extremely abrasive.

dragonrider
09-24-2013, 03:27 PM
Outer's Foul Out is what I use. Don't think you can get it any cleaner.

jeff423
09-24-2013, 06:20 PM
What he said:
Outer's Foul Out is what I use. Don't think you can get it any cleaner.

I've got one and it's hard to believe how much lead it pulls out of a barrel that looks clean.

Jeff

gunoil
09-26-2013, 06:44 AM
outers is discontinued

Artful
09-26-2013, 09:37 PM
Outer's patent ran out so hey quit ... you can make one cheap...
Homemade Electronic Bore Cleaner
http://i38.tinypic.com/2cf493t.jpg
http://www.surplusrifle.com/reviews/copperout/index.asp
http://www.frfrogspad.com/imprvdcr.pdf
Use it with neoprene stoppers, a stainless weld rod electrode and O-rings to center the rod
Solutions for this and other good stuff can be found at ...
http://www.frfrogspad.com/homemade.htm

I don't see anyone jumping in with another version. I think the reason is that the cleaning chemicals are getting so much more sophisticated, and they are less bother to use. The Wipe Out brand has been very successful, and they have a separate special lead remover now.
BoreTech Elimenator is another.
Another KG-12, sold by Jim Owens (jarheadtop.com) is probably the most dramatically effective copper remover.
All these are water-base and non-rusting.
Gunzilla is good, One patch loose on an eyelet jag and an overnight soak. Two more patches the next day and the borescope showed every trace was gone. Gunzilla is vegetable oil based and is designed to break down bonds in carbon and other non-metallic fouling. It was designed for armorers who clean lots of guns and whose skin is damaged by the chemicals. This stuff is easy on the hands. It seems to turn hard-caked carbon into soft sludge that wipes away, even when moly is in it. It leaves a lubricating film behind when it dries.

Foul Out takes 2 to 4 hours, plus checking the rod for build-up to clear it of short circuiting metal deposits, rust in the bore can cause issues so check your solution to make sure it isn't trying to etch your barrel.

I don't advocate using "The Dip" as it creates dangerous Lead Acetate but a mixture of H2O2 and C2H4O2 will dissolve lead. Mercury aka "Quick Silver" will also but again is Hazardous.

retread
09-27-2013, 12:09 AM
I use outer's foul out also. About out of the solution and will have to order the ingredients to cook up my own soon. I use choreboy and hoppes after each trip to the range for regular cleaning as necessary and reserve the foul out to obvious build up that CB & H doesn't remove. Must be doing something right with my loads because my leading problems have greatly lessened and with some caliber's have disappeared.

Ubet
02-12-2014, 12:32 AM
I definitely like my Outers Foul Out kit.

btroj
02-12-2014, 08:07 AM
If chore-boy won't get it then you have real bad leading. I have never had chore-boy fail me. I run it dry, I think it works better that way.

I wet patch, dry the bore, chore-boy, then redo the wet patch. Repeat if needed.

The chore-boy needs to be a snug fit.

cuzinbruce
02-12-2014, 10:26 AM
The factories and old time gunsmiths used mercury. Plug the barrel, fill with mercury. Brush out what remains. Haven't tried it but it should work. Don't tell the EPA. Toxic.

contender1
02-12-2014, 11:04 AM
I too have an Outers. While I'm not out of solutions for it,, yet,,, I went to the link above & didn't find a solution to use with the Outers.
Can you tell me which ones I need to use for both lead & copper from that site?

EDIT; I FOUND IT! It wasn't listed in the titles and I scanned the whole page & found it.

Maven
02-12-2014, 02:39 PM
If chore-boy won't get it then you have real bad leading. I have never had chore-boy fail me. I run it dry, I think it works better that way. I wet patch, dry the bore, chore-boy, then redo the wet patch. Repeat if needed. The chore-boy needs to be a snug fit.

What btroj said!!!

Shooter6br
02-12-2014, 04:30 PM
One word for copper fouling SWEET'S

JonB_in_Glencoe
02-12-2014, 06:51 PM
Any one reccomend anything for cleaning lead out of micro pistol barrels other than chore-boy and (bore) hoppes#9? Whats your method?

If chore-boy won't get it then you have real bad leading. I have never had chore-boy fail me. I run it dry, I think it works better that way.

I wet patch, dry the bore, chore-boy, then redo the wet patch. Repeat if needed.

The chore-boy needs to be a snug fit.

I use 0000 steel wool. I suspect it works as good as Chore-boy if your technique is correct. I use Ed's Red with the Steel wool...mostly as a Lube. I use a brass Jag with a cotton patch to put the few strands of 0000 steel wool on, it's so tight, if I didn't use lube, I wouldn't get it through the bore.

Comrade Mike
02-12-2014, 07:01 PM
You can use 1:1 hydrogen peroxide and vinegar to turn the lead into lead acetate. Let the barrel sit for 10 minutes and the lead will release and fall out in solution. One or two patches and that should be the end of it.

Lead acetate is rather toxic and can absorb through skin.

slim1836
02-12-2014, 07:03 PM
I just wish I could get Chore-Boy in my area. Can't find it anywhere. Hear that the druggies use it in smoking their dope, so stores have pulled it from the shelves.

Slim

btroj
02-12-2014, 07:32 PM
Use 0000 steel wool if no chore boy around your area.

Mercury works but holy cow, way too toxic to have around. Heck no.

Peroxide and vinegar works but it don't want strong oxidizes around my guns if they can be avoided. I don't need rust.

I don't see a need for any chemical methods. Steel wool and chore boy just plain work. Every time.

Walter Laich
02-14-2014, 08:19 PM
I just wish I could get Chore-Boy in my area. Can't find it anywhere. Hear that the druggies use it in smoking their dope, so stores have pulled it from the shelves.

Slim

you might try evilbay. found a long list of them being offered. not too bad in price and many with free shipping

The Virginian
02-16-2014, 01:31 AM
Chore boy and Ed's Red homemade gun solvent. Equal parts of Automatic transmission fluid, Kerosene and Varsol or Odorless mineral spirits. Cleans lead out very well when used with Chore boy on an old bronze brush.

JimA
03-04-2014, 01:52 PM

Slim

I can't get Chore Boy brand around here either but you can get them online at various places. I have found other brands that are 100% copper too. Libman makes an all copper pad and our local Supermarket Meijer's carries their own brand. You have to make sure it's not copper coated.

dtknowles
03-04-2014, 02:57 PM
The factories and old time gunsmiths used mercury. Plug the barrel, fill with mercury. Brush out what remains. Haven't tried it but it should work. Don't tell the EPA. Toxic.

I think it is cool to have a bit of mercury around for show and tell but I don't think it is practical for cleaning gun barrels. I did a quick calculation and I think is would take more than $500.00 worth of mercury to fill a 30 cal. gun barrel and a spill would be expensive and an environment hazard.

Tim

tomsp8
03-09-2014, 07:26 PM
I have had good luck with the Birchwood Casey lead removing cloth. Cut into patch sizes. Super tight
fit, sometimes gotta use the next size down jag.

afish4570
03-30-2014, 12:55 AM

Slim

Several yrs. ago I bought some copper screening about 6" wide by 25 feet for under $15 shipped. I think the vendor was something....like DO ITYOURSELF PEST CONTROL.COM......check some of the older posts...... Will last a long time and will save the problem of getting some China steel colored copper product.......The use on the vendors web is to plug holes in houses etc. to prevent mice from chewing back into the bldg......afish4570

imashooter2
03-30-2014, 08:58 AM

Slim

I buy them by the case from the net.

Pro Tip: They work great for cleaning pots and pans too.;-)

Flyman
03-30-2014, 09:14 AM
My local "Do it Best" hardware has bronze wool in the paint and finish section. It's used for finish stripping.
I have only used the medium grade but it is very fine and works well. It and Ballistol have cleaned up bores well for me.

.5mv^2
03-30-2014, 09:23 AM
Mike, Are you getting leading with the Hi-Tec coating?

Lewis Lead Remover works great. They are available at Brownells, Basically they are a cleaning rod with a rubber button and brass screen.

22cf45
03-30-2014, 11:07 AM
A Lewis lead remover is the way to go for pistol barrels.
Phil

DougGuy
03-30-2014, 11:30 AM
I had Lewis kits but a few strands of chore boy wound around a cleaning brush beats the daylights out of a Lewis lead remover imo.. Ymmv!

Evilbay for chore boy, one day I set out in search of, and I used up 2x the $$ in gas that I would have spent on the chore boy shipping included! I found bronze wool, finally found a 100% copper, not plated one at dollar tree. 7 stores no chore boy. jeez..

jmort
03-30-2014, 12:46 PM
Amazon has them. I like the Libman Copper Scrubbers, cheaper/better

22cf45
03-30-2014, 02:19 PM
In addition to using a Lewis lead remover, if you need some wetting solution. Kroil is good to help remove lead. I admit to knowing nothing about chore-boy. I don't know what they are made of.
Phil

FLHTC
03-30-2014, 04:31 PM
I use mercury often. You don't need to fill the barrel. You plug the chamber end, add a couple ounces of mercury and plug the muzzle. Agitate back and fourth and repeat after a few minutes. The mercury will attach to the lead and break it down. You pour out the mercury and with it comes the lead. I have an 8 lb bottle and it's lasted me many a year. Go to an HVAC installer and ask them for old thermostats. There's a mercury switch in every one

AMT7
04-06-2014, 11:17 AM
In addition to using a Lewis lead remover, if you need some wetting solution. Kroil is good to help remove lead. I admit to knowing nothing about chore-boy. I don't know what they are made of.
Phil

If Kroil is such a good lead remover wetting solution then, as long as precautions to keep it off any metal finishes sights, optics, stocks (wood & composites), etc, why not use the proven to be far superior with rust 50%/ 50% beauty supply acetone / Dextron 3 ATF which loosens and dissolves rust incredibly well due to the leeching affects of acetone and lubricity / ionic molecule stance (bonding) on metal particulary steel of ATF. It is our favorite salvage yard and exhaust work rust buster saving broken tooling and bolt head or stud shear off for several years now. Just mix in a high quality garden spray quart bottle and shake before use and take care as its very flamable like Kroil. Soaking with it and multiple wettings for several minutes to few hours does wonders. We work on about fifteen 17- 24 year old vehicles regularly with it patching up old exh heat shields & exh pipes & mufflers, body damage, panel and subframe, unibody rust ect. Takes most all of the knuckle busting out of the picture.

Mach_Cat
04-28-2014, 12:34 AM
So if you were to use mercury for cleaning. How would you plug your bore and muzzle?
Are you using a rubber cork? How many times can you reuse the mercury before it has too much lead in it?

fguffey
04-28-2014, 05:23 PM
hoppes#9 Hoppes #9 reminds me of John Wayne toilet paper.

There is a mesh that is used to sort grains of anything by size, works great on shotguns and anything lead in a barrel.

F. Guffey

johnson1942
04-28-2014, 06:37 PM
if your shooting a revolver, go to paperpatching your bullets and you will never have to worry about lead or copper again.

35 Whelen
05-09-2014, 02:54 AM
Vinegar, peroxide and a plugged barrel is just way too easy. Done it many times.

35W

FLHTC
05-13-2014, 08:12 AM
So if you were to use mercury for cleaning. How would you plug your bore and muzzle?
Are you using a rubber cork? How many times can you reuse the mercury before it has too much lead in it?

Just saw this. Sorry for the delay. I've plugged my bores with candle wax, ear plugs, balloons, etc. I've had my bottle for 25 years and it's still going strong. I have poured the mercury through a strainer and removed a little flake but nothing major.

alamogunr
05-13-2014, 09:02 AM
All I found in my area were "Chore Boy" that was copper plated steel. I ordered the real thing online along with bronze wool. I have never tried bronze wool but thought I would see how it worked compared to other methods. As usual I went overboard and now I have enough of each to last me the rest of my life. At least the Chore Boy pads can be used in the kitchen.

Bulldogger
05-13-2014, 11:21 AM
Chore Boy pads are hard to find at groceries, but ironically the Dollar Stores around me don't seem to mind carrying them. They also sell Black and Mild's singly, etc.

I was mad at spending $1 each before I realized I was buying them in boxes of two for more than $2 at Safeway.

Try the Dollar Store.

Bulldogger

curator
05-13-2014, 10:42 PM
Bronze wool, dry, tightly wound on a nylon brush. Takes lead out like "burnt off toast." Follow up with Ed's Red, the regular use of seems to reduce leading. Get proper bullet fit and better lube (like LBT "blue") and don't have leading to begin with. Dollar stores often have Chore-Boy scrubbers but better bring a magnet to test as sometimes they are just copper plated steel. Stores that sell high-end cabinet making supplies and marine paint dealers have bronze wool pads in three sized, fine, medium and coarse. Fine works well on small bores, medium for most everything else. Coarse will sometimes resurrect a neglected rusty muzzle loader bore.

aap2
05-14-2014, 07:34 AM
Bronze wool, dry, tightly wound on a nylon brush. Takes lead out like "burnt off toast." Follow up with Ed's Red, the regular use of seems to reduce leading. Get proper bullet fit and better lube (like LBT "blue") and don't have leading to begin with. Dollar stores often have Chore-Boy scrubbers but better bring a magnet to test as sometimes they are just copper plated steel. Stores that sell high-end cabinet making supplies and marine paint dealers have bronze wool pads in three sized, fine, medium and coarse. Fine works well on small bores, medium for most everything else. Coarse will sometimes resurrect a neglected rusty muzzle loader bore.

I got fine (real) bronze wool from amazon recently, it's cheap and works just like Curator says. All of the "chore-boy scrubbers that I bought were plated steel..Real bronze wool on a brush works great.

Old Coot
05-16-2014, 10:03 PM
Use 0000 steel wool if no chore boy around your area.

Mercury works but holy cow, way too toxic to have around. Heck no.

Peroxide and vinegar works but it don't want strong oxidizes around my guns if they can be avoided. I don't need rust.

I don't see a need for any chemical methods. Steel wool and chore boy just plain work. Every time.

Mercury metal is NOT toxic. mercury VAPOR is toxic as all get out. Certain salts of mercury such as HgCl2 or mercuric chloride are incredibly toxic. My Dad a physician had a lady try to commit suicide by drinking mercury metal. It did not work, but when she walked down the hall way her sphincter (anal sphincter) could not hold the heavy metal and would dribble out dropping and breaking into many little silver splashes as she went down the hall. (She would have dressed out at about 250#>) Brodie