PDA

View Full Version : Another get rich slow idea for the website

kywoodwrkr
10-28-2007, 08:25 PM
:mrgreen:
I answered freakshow10mm's request for a loaner mould with a little bit different twist.
I bought extra Steen 357-180-RF NEI moulds when Blammer did his GB.
My intention at the time was to make two of them, one 2 cav meehanite and 4 cav Aluminum mould with one set of handles PLUS that infamous Bull Plate Lube, available on a loaner basis for the incredible sum of $10(Paybale to the website). Plus the cost of shipping to the next user, if one, or back to me.
So, Adam is my guinea pig for this idea.
This will also maybe help our fellow casters who have a need for a few cast bullets but don't want to expend the money for a small need. It will also allow a user to see how well, or not, the NEI moulds perform.
I think this venue will be the best way to keep track of this unless it becomes easier to put into the formal system.
By that I mean the order system where the hammer mould is tracked.
The moulds, handle and lube will be going to Adam this week.
Anyone wanting to join this venture, sign up here!:coffee:
Thanks.
DaveP kywoodwrkr

kenjuudo
10-28-2007, 08:36 PM
Dave,
Got a pic or print of the boolit?

jim

kywoodwrkr
10-28-2007, 08:53 PM
Jim,
Sorry about that.
Meant to put a link in original post-been a long weekend.
http://www.castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=17952&highlight=steen
Note the box to the right of the drawing for diameter.
Dave

ktw
11-01-2007, 06:15 PM
I will get in line for it after freakshow10mm. No rush.

Like the idea.

-ktw

kywoodwrkr
11-02-2007, 11:34 AM
ktw,
Done deal-on list.
DaveP kywoodwrkr

Blammer
11-02-2007, 04:28 PM
ahhh, a first time NEI GB with a first time "rent it" mould..... I think we're breaking new ground!

I'll bet the 311284 would go well with this idea!

Blammer
11-02-2007, 04:29 PM
maybe run a 2 cav to cut the cost....

oldfart
11-04-2007, 07:57 PM
how well would this work in a 358 jdj?
if it would do good I 'd like to rent for a week or two

jschance
12-11-2007, 12:53 PM
Is it too late to get in on this rent a mould trip?

I'd love to have a go with that 180 grainer, since I've missed out on the group buys.

If it's still a possibility, let me know the rules and where I'd need to send it on.

Thanks.

JSChance

AnthonyB
12-11-2007, 01:26 PM
I'd like to get in line for this one. Tony

kywoodwrkr
12-20-2007, 06:10 PM
Folks,
I finally got these two molds, handles and some Bullplate Lube mailed to Adam.
My life has been a little tight the last few weeks.
There is light at the end of the tunnel however.
Now if it isn't another train-I'm in good shape.
Hope this works out for you all.
DaveP kywoodwrkr

txbirdman
12-20-2007, 06:39 PM
Dave,

I'd like to get my name on the list.

94Doug
12-20-2007, 06:57 PM
Me too,

Looks like that would be great for my .357 Herrett.

Doug

kywoodwrkr
02-12-2008, 01:44 PM
Updated 2-15-2008 Molds have been delivered to ktw and he is going to try and get some casting done before the end of the month.
I think Adam was waiting for a response from me so it turns out the delay is a result of confusion-Oh no not confusion!
I should also admit that is my normal mode.
Will update this as we move from person to person with the molds.
Thanks.
Dave

This does not appear to be getting off to a very good start.
The molds that were sent to Adam, freakshow10mm, are still with him.
Actually one is still with him as it pertains to this process.
I have shipped a second, replacement, 4 cavity aluminum mold to ktw who has received it.
Adam was to send the other 2 cavity steel meehanite mold, along with handles and Bull plate lube to ktw as well.
That has not happened as of this date.
So, for those waiting, I'm just not sure where this is going at this time.
I sent Adam an e-mail through his website.
He may have had PM problems-I don't know.
Hopefully the second mold will get to ktw so he can use them and then they can start their journey onward.
Thanks to all.
DaveP kywoodwrkr

Gunload Master
02-19-2008, 10:00 PM
Got the funds from KTW today, thanks for making this possible!!!

NSP64
02-20-2008, 06:42 AM
Kywoodwrkr
Well you got the .357 rent a mold up and running, when you going to start the 311284 (or any mold around .311-313) rent a mold thread? :mrgreen:

jschance
02-20-2008, 03:36 PM
Do you have a list of those of use who have expressed an interest in this project and the order of use? It'd be interesting for each user to include a bullet cast with their name on it to track the life of the mould and how it's dimensions might change over use.

I'm anxious to have a shot at it, and I've got a pile of wheelweights waiting for their turn in the firey furnace.

garandsrus
02-21-2008, 11:27 PM
Please add me to the waiting list for the 4 cavity aluminum mold...

Thanks,
John

jschance
02-27-2008, 09:22 PM
The molds arrived today. I should be casting in earnest this weekend.
:-D:-D
JSC

jschance
03-28-2008, 10:39 AM
I have completed my scheduled casting with the rent-a-molds and as soon as KyWoodwrkr gets me the addresses, these molds will go to the next lucky contestant. I posted a journal of my casting experience with them on another thread under Group Molds.

JSC

JohnSmiles
03-28-2008, 03:17 PM
Hey, looks like a good hunting boolit.
Add me to the list.
Great way to try out a particular style.
Do we pay up front or when we get the mold?
John

txbirdman
03-28-2008, 03:41 PM
Looks like a good one for my Marlin '94C. Put me on the list and PM details.

Thanks

jschance
04-01-2008, 01:01 PM
For those of you that weren’t aware of it, KyWoodWrkr, aka DaveP suffered an extensive fire at his new residence. He’s taking inventory of what was destroyed, what can be salvaged and getting on with cleaning up the mess.

Since he’s going to be just a tad busy, he has accepted my offer to take over the honcho’ing of this Rent-a-Mold Program. I’ve currently got the molds, and am ready to send them to the next caster in line. Looking down the list of folks, here’s the order I’m figuring that folks have lined up based on responses in this thread:

Oldfart (did you receive it yet?)
AnthonyB
TxBirdman
94Doug
Garandsrus
JohnSmiles

Does this look correct at this time?

If it does, I need to get an addresses for the folks on the list, you can either PM them to me or email, either one works. As soon as I get approval on the order and an address to ship it to, I'll send 'em on out.

Please be patient with me, and it's the first time I've wrangled something like this, but I felt someone ought to belly up to the bar to help DaveP out.

jschance
04-09-2008, 07:32 AM
OK, I've waited a few days to get responses, and it looks like the next lucky player is TonyB.

Just a reminder, here's how it works. For using the mold, we're asking that you make a 'free will' donation to the operation of the Cast Boolet board, and I've now got the address for that donation (which I'll PM to the next player). Once you've cast to your heart's content, it's your responsibility to ship the molds to the next player. I'll try and keep up with folks that are signed up, notifying them that they're turn is coming.

So, TonyB, get your furnace heated up, line up some boxes for your bullets and watch your mailbox.

Another reminder, as I discovered, the molds cast two different weight bullets. The Aluminum 4 cavity mold is a 190 grain, the Steel 2 cavity mold is a 180 grain. Don't cast 'em all into the same bucket, or you'll be sorting bullets for a while.

JSC

jschance
04-19-2008, 09:56 AM
TonyB,

Sorry for the delay (life gets in the way sometimes), but the mold went out this morning.

Have fun, be safe.

Once you're done casting, feel free to add to the reports that we're posting under the previous location.

JSChance

Ballard
04-19-2008, 10:47 AM
I would like to get on the waiting list for the 2 cavity.

jschance
04-21-2008, 08:10 AM
Ballard,
The rent a mold program is a package deal, but I can put you on the list for the package. When it gets to you, use what you want then send the whole package on to the next user.
Based on that, here’s where the list is as of today.
AnthonyB – Molds shipped out on 04-19-2008
TxBirdman
94Doug
Garandsrus
JohnSmiles
Ballard

AnthonyB
04-21-2008, 03:25 PM
I'll be watching for the mailman and will report arrival ASAP!
Tony

Alchemist
04-21-2008, 06:37 PM
Never cast anything heavier than 150 for my .357. I'll give it a try.

jschance,

Do we send our donation to the site now or when we get the moulds?

Thanks
Alchemist

AnthonyB
04-21-2008, 07:19 PM
The moulds arrived today in fine shape. I'll play with them for a few weeks and then get them out to TXBirdman. Tony

jschance
04-22-2008, 07:44 AM
Thanks for the notification, AnthonyB.

Alchemist, the way it was set up was once you had the molds, you could send the donation in. I've included the address for the donation in the shipment with the molds. I will add your name to the distribution list.

Here's the list as it is now:

AnthonyB – Molds received on 04-21-2008
TxBirdman
94Doug
Garandsrus
JohnSmiles
Ballard
Alchemist

eaglefacts
04-24-2008, 02:56 PM
I would like to add my name to the list to give the moulds a try please.

jschance
04-30-2008, 12:40 PM
Looks like we've had a few additions, deletions to the mold distribution list.

Here it is in it's new and edited form:

AnthonyB – Molds received on 04-21-2008
94Doug
Garandsrus
JohnSmiles
Ballard
Alchemist
eaglefacts

Have fun, be safe.

AnthonyB
05-10-2008, 06:26 PM
OK, I've had the molds for a few weeks and have have had no success with either the aluminum four cavity or the meehanite two cavity. The sprue holes are way too small for ladle casting, and I'd be all over these with a drill if they belonged to me. I'll get both on the way to the next victim this week.
Tony

jschance
05-19-2008, 08:01 AM
Tony,

Sorry that they didn't work out for you. I also struggled a bit with the sprue holes, and I was bottom pouring. I too thought real hard about opening the holes up a bit, but since they aren't mine, I had to leave well enough alone.

Did I send you the next address?

JSC

Alchemist
05-26-2008, 10:58 AM
Any machinists on the waiting list? Perhaps a new set of sprueplates with larger holes could be made up.

jschance
05-30-2008, 07:47 AM
94Doug, did you get the molds yet? Just wanting to keep track of where they are.

Thanks.

JSC

94Doug
06-01-2008, 06:32 AM
Sorry, no I haven't. But I haven't checked my mail for 2 days either. They seem to only be open when I sleep. I'll let you know Monday.

Doug

AnthonyB
06-01-2008, 09:50 AM
Guys, I apologize for the weak communication on my part. I decided to try one more casting session and was able to get a roundtoit yesterday. Still no success for me with the small sprue holes, and the moulds are now boxed and will mail tomorrow. They will go out Priority Mail and insured. Doug, you should see them by Friday at the latest.
Tony

jschance
06-02-2008, 09:29 AM
Guys,

Thanks for the communications, I'm new to this ramrodding thing and just trying to keep track of where the molds are.

AnthonyB, If'n you'd like I can toss some of whatever bullet you were most interested in in a box and head them your direction for you to try.

Sorry you weren't able to get a good bullet out of 'em.

JSC

45nut
06-02-2008, 10:23 AM
JSC,
I would like to politely and publicly thank you for your efforts, they are sincerely appreciated!

AnthonyB
06-03-2008, 08:50 AM
Doug, the moulds are on the way. I'll hold the insurance receipt until you get them.
Tony

94Doug
06-04-2008, 01:12 AM
Sounds Great! I'll let you know when they arrive.

Doug

94Doug
06-05-2008, 08:26 PM
Moulds arrived today. Great packaging!!

Thanks!
Doug

jschance
06-09-2008, 12:17 PM
OK, 94 Doug has 'em now, so here's the list as it stands:

94Doug - Molds arrived 06/05/08
Garandsrus
JohnSmiles
Ballard
Alchemist
eaglefacts

mold maker
06-10-2008, 10:01 AM
Add my name to the list. This is a great idea.
Thanks
Mold Maker (retired)

Gunload Master
06-25-2008, 09:54 PM
Got the funds from 94doug! Thanks once again for the great support everyone gives to the site! 100% member supported!

94Doug
07-07-2008, 04:07 AM
Well, I've had em' for a month, so off they go to the next one on the list. I found the sprue plate holes to be rather small as well, I bottom poured, and had to go rather slow, so I didn't manage to get a whole lot done. I would like to get some boolit moulds in the same design though, maybe in a Lee 6-er.

Doug

94Doug
07-11-2008, 05:41 AM
They are on their way, have fun John!

Doug

garandsrus
07-12-2008, 03:07 PM
I received the molds and cast up enough to last me a while, so they are ready to go to JohnSmiles. I will PM him for details.

I agree that the sprue plate holes are pretty small. The molds don't cast well until the sprue plate gets plenty hot. I was also casting with a Lyman 4 cav 44 mold and the sprue plate hole in that mold was about 2x the size of the NEI.

The Mehanite mold is heavy! I had never cast with one before. The boolits dropped very easily from the mold though.

John

JohnSmiles
07-13-2008, 11:13 PM
Thats Great!
Looking forward to trying these out.
Time to send some money to Gunload Master.

:drinks:

JohnSmiles
07-17-2008, 10:01 PM
Got the molds!
Will see what kind of luck I have with them this weekend.

Gunload Master
07-22-2008, 11:04 PM
I got some funds from John, Thanks everyone!!

JohnSmiles
07-27-2008, 07:59 PM
Ok, one more casting session and they are on to the next feller.
PM inbound for address.

AnthonyB
07-27-2008, 08:25 PM
I think they just need the sprue holes opened up to be world class moulds. I'd love to have another chance given permission to modify them..... Tony

jschance
07-30-2008, 09:14 AM
Sorry guys, I've been out of touch for the past month or so (life can get kinda complicated sometimes). I'll get caught up with the requests and addresses and such here in the next day or so.

JSC

JohnSmiles
08-01-2008, 05:05 PM
Molds went out to Ballard(Randy) this morning.
Castaway!
John

Ballard
08-04-2008, 01:55 PM
Moulds arrived today. Will open the package and get to casting tonight.

Ballard
08-24-2008, 12:26 AM
Message sent to Alchemist.

jschance
09-02-2008, 01:14 PM
OK folks, I'm back among the living, at lest for a little while. Here's the list as it is right now.

Alchemist
Eaglefacts
Mold Maker (retired)

Anyone else want to get in on this one? If not, looks like we might be getting to the end of the line.

Anyone have any results they'd like to share on the bullets?

I was shooting some groups with my Rossi .357 over the weekend and was getting some very impressive groups (considering the open sights I was using). Indiana deer had better quake in fear this season. :grin:

Alchemist
09-03-2008, 04:22 PM
PM sent to Ballard 8/24/08. Haven't heard anything yet....

jschance
09-08-2008, 07:33 AM
Alchemist,

So Ballard has the molds and isn't getting back to you? Hmmmm, that's not a good sign.

Anyone have further contact information for Ballard?

Paging Ballard, Paging Ballard.

Ballard
09-08-2008, 07:37 AM
The moulds get mailed out today. Sorry for delay. Medical problems in immediate family.

Ballard
09-08-2008, 07:45 AM
And by the way jschance, YOU could contact me.

jschance
09-09-2008, 01:00 PM
No disrespect intended Ballard, and you have my apologies if any was taken from my message.

I was more worried about the potential that one of our own was in distress and we didn't know about it. There's been several instances on boards that I've been on where one of the members had fallen ill or even passed away, and if it wasn't someone asking about them, none of us would have known.

I did not pursue PM'ing you, as Alchemist said he already had. I figured you would answer when and if possible.

Again, no disrespect intended or implied.

JSChance

Alchemist
09-11-2008, 11:25 AM
Check to Willy is in the mail....really!

Ballard
09-13-2008, 03:02 PM
Mine as well.

Blammer
09-13-2008, 03:39 PM
so how are them boolits shooting for you guys?

Alchemist
09-13-2008, 06:59 PM
Got the moulds...but no chance as of yet to heat 'em up. Hopefully I'll get a pile cast up in the next few days.

Those sure are purty moulds...if it throws boolits like I think they will, I'll have some real thumpers for the 586 this deer season! [smilie=w:

Alchemist
09-17-2008, 10:41 PM
Got to cast up some boolits a coupla days ago. Using scrap cable shielding with about 1% tin added, they're dropping at an average of 190 grains, before checks and lube. Will try another batch this weekend with WWs and report back the first part of next week.

What weights are you other guys getting, and from what alloys?

Alchemist
09-21-2008, 10:10 PM
Gonna try to get one more batch cast tomorrow...PM going to eaglefacts for address. Will ship out within the next week.

I made up a top punch (RCBS/Lyman) for this boolit using a blank I got from Buckshot. I'll include it in the kit when I ship it out.

Anybody got a decent mid-range load for these yet?

Alchemist

jschance
09-22-2008, 08:53 AM
I was getting right at 180 grain on the bullets from the iron molds, and 190 grains for the Aluminum. If you line the two up side by side, you can see that the bullets from the aluminum mold are just a hair longer than the iron bullets

I've been shooting the 180's out of a Rossi rifle using a charge of 14.6 grains of Lil'Gun, but it's a fairly stout load (use at your own discretion).

I've fired a few of the 190's out of a 10" contender in .357 Herrett but wasn't pleased with the load (was using AA 2230 that I had left over from my .223 days).

jschance
09-22-2008, 08:59 AM
OK, Updated list:

Alchemist Currently in possession scheduled completion week of September 22
Eaglefacts
Mold Maker (retired)
Legend

Gunload Master
09-28-2008, 12:06 PM
I did recieve a check from Alchesmist a while back too.. Just barely got around to letting everyone know. Thanks!!!

Alchemist
09-29-2008, 09:37 PM
Last batch cast from WWs in the two cavity fell out at 176 grains as cast.

Have only shot a few, but it looks like they're gonna stay inside 3" at 25 yards out of a NM Blackhawk fired from an improvised rest (forgot the sandbags) hampered by my bifocal enhanced vision (damn that front sight looked fuzzy). Next time I'll take out the chronograph and put out some numbers and pics of targets. Stay tuned...although it may be a while. [smilie=1:

Anybody who has wanted to try heavy boolits in their .357 should get in line to use these moulds. It has been interesting so far.

One other observation, if you have Lee 6 banger handles, they'll work a little better with these moulds than the RCBS handles...at least they did for me.

eaglefacts...I'm waiting on your address. You're up to bat!

Alchemist

TCFAN
10-01-2008, 06:50 PM
Can I get my name on this list to try these molds.....Terry

jschance
10-06-2008, 09:07 AM
OK, we've had some trouble reaching the next feller in line, so I'm gonna shake the list up a little bit.

Here's how it stands now

Alchemist Currently in possession but done with 'em and ready to ship
Mold Maker (retired)
Legend
TCFAN

Pending contact with us
Eaglefacts

Eaglefacts, if you're still around and still interested, give me a shout and we'll get you back on the list.

JSChance

Alchemist
10-15-2008, 10:05 PM
Moulds are now on their way to mold maker. Legend, you'll be next. You might want to PM mold maker with address info so he'll have it when it comes time for him to ship to you.

Cheers

mold maker
10-16-2008, 12:54 PM
I've got my gloves on and a hot pot, just waiting on the mail man.
mold maker

legend
10-16-2008, 03:39 PM
pm and address sent to mold maker.

Gunload Master
10-20-2008, 01:32 PM
I got a 10.00 donation from someone but i'm not sure which person it was from.. Mold Maker did you do that?

mold maker
10-23-2008, 06:08 PM
I did send a check to Willy, with a letter about what it's for. Don't know if thats the one you speak of. It was on Woodforest Bank.
I got to cast Tuesday, and am in hog heaven. No problems with either mold ONCE HOT. Temp, took a dive here and it's hard to get them up to temp when It's 37-57* and a light wind.
I'll cast one more time with them and send them on to Legend. I already have his address and he is waiting.
Thanks all involved
Mold Maker (retired)

mold maker
10-27-2008, 06:45 PM
Molds mailed to Legend this morning. I cast about 1000. of the GC, and 500 of the PB boolits.
I had no problems at all pouring 50/50 range lead and WW with about 1 1/2" of 50/50 bar solder.
As some one else suggested, I used a Lee 6 cav. mold handle on the 4 cav alum. mold. That made alignment of the blocks easier with less abuse to the pin holes and blocks.
Some earlier posted problems with the size of the sprue holes. I however, had none at all. I poured at 725* with a bottom pour Lyman 20# pot. Boolits are bright and well filled.
The weather had turned off cold and I did have to cast fast to keep the sprue plate warm. I was casting outdoors at from 39-57*
Thanks for the privilege. This site kicks butt.
Mold maker

jschance
10-29-2008, 08:24 AM
MoldMaker,

Glad you had good luck with the molds. I too found that you had to cast fast and hot for best luck with the sprueplates. Once I got into a rythm, both molds worked pretty well. I ended up with quite a pile of bullets of both weights.

I am curious though, in your report you say that you cast some GC and some PB. I remember that both molds were gascheck molds. Have I missed something?

mold maker
11-02-2008, 06:29 PM
I'll have to go look at that. I thought the 2 cav. was PB. Frost on my glasses. Tee Hee It was 28* yesterday morning.
I go tomorrow to see about cataract surgery. I'm tired of looking through waxed paper.
USPS track and confirm shows the molds delivered to Legend on Oct 30th. He is on a weekend trip hunting so he hasn't responded on their delivery yet.

mold maker
11-02-2008, 08:08 PM
Cleaned my specs and drove over to Moms. Casting equip is in the back of her carport. Your right, they are both GC molds. I might have been thinking of the 30 cal PB that I cast the same day. Their still a pile of awsully pretty boolits.
My rememberer don't work as good as it used to.

jschance
11-08-2008, 11:12 AM
Moldmaker,

No problem on the remember......I wasn't entirely sure I had remembered correctly myself and hadn't gotten down to the reloading room to check 'em out.

OK, here's the list as it now stands.

Legend (In Possession)
TCFAN

It looks like this program is getting dangerously close to completion (unless someone else is looking to get in on it). It'll be interesting to see how the molds weather such extensive usage.

Anyone who had them up front have any of the bullets cast from them when new? It would be intersting to see an bullet from the new molds, and one from once everyone gets done with them.

mold maker
11-08-2008, 01:52 PM
If those who cast first got any prettier boolits than I did, it would be a sin to mess them up with rifling.
The few I fired from each mold grouped as good as these tired old eyes can see.
My thanks to all involved.
mold maker

jschance
11-17-2008, 03:13 PM
I've got to admit, I ruined one of those bullets Saturday morning.

I not only engraved rifleing all over the sides if it, I went and smashed it up against a 9 point Whitetail. :-D

Hopefully all will be forgiven. [smilie=w:

Alchemist
11-18-2008, 10:13 PM
I heard from eaglefacts today....he has been off-line for a while but is now back with us. :drinks:

I predict he'll be getting back in line to use the moulds soon.

jschance...good on ya for blooding one of those boolits! And a 9 pointer to boot!

Cheers

eaglefacts
11-20-2008, 02:39 PM
jschance, like Alchemist said I am back. I would like to be put back on the list if possible. Thank you

jschance
11-24-2008, 09:29 AM
Eaglefacts,

Consider yourself back on the list.

Right now, the molds are in the possession of Legend.

Here's the updated list:

Legend (in possession end of October)
TCFAN
Eaglefacts

Legend, I sent ya an email. Let us know how the molds are working out for ya.

TCFAN
11-24-2008, 12:45 PM
jschance,if you want to move eaglefacts ahead of me that would be fine.

I am having to spend a lot of time with my dad who is in the hospital with a major stroke.If you move eaglefacts ahead of me it would help me out.

Just don't have a lot of time to cast right now or in the foreseeable future.

Thanks......Terry

jschance
11-25-2008, 08:56 AM
TCFAN,

I appreciate your offer, consider it done.

The modified, updated list is as follows:

Eaglefacts
TCFAN

Bulletlube
12-06-2008, 08:08 PM
TCFAN,

I appreciate your offer, consider it done.

The modified, updated list is as follows:

Eaglefacts
TCFAN

I would like to know how to get in on this Mold lone how do I do that?

jschance
12-11-2008, 08:40 AM
I would like to know how to get in on this Mold lone how do I do that?

Bulletlube,

All one has to do is ask.

The way it works is we put you on the list, when it's your turn, you get the molds shipped to you, you use them to cast up some bullets, then send them on (at your expense) to the next person on the list. Donations for the use are made to the benefit of the website. PM me your address and such details and I'll go ahead and put you on the list.

Legend (still in possession?)
Eaglefacts
TCFAN
Bulletlube

jschance
12-19-2008, 02:11 PM
Eaglefacts,

Have you gotten the molds yet?

JSChance

Gunload Master
12-29-2008, 01:16 PM
I got a donation from Bulletlube for the rent-a-mould program.

jschance
01-01-2009, 06:20 PM
OK, I'm wondering where the molds are.

Would whoever currently has them in their posession, please let me know.

Thanks.

JSChance

DanOH
01-17-2009, 01:13 AM
I would like to be put on the list if the molds are still in circulation.
DanOH

Dan Robinson

jschance
01-19-2009, 08:15 PM
OK, just talked to Eaglefacts and he has the mold and is within a week or two of being done with them.

Here's how the list stands as of Today.

Eaglefacts (in possession)
TCFAN
Bulletlube
Dan OH (New to List)

jschance
01-27-2009, 11:29 AM
OK, I sent a PM to TCFan and have not heard back from him.

TCFan, do you still want the use of the molds or do you want to take a pass for the time being.

If I don't hear back from you in a week, I'll put you to the bottom of the list and let the next guy in line have a whack at 'em.

Thanks.

JSChance

TCFAN
01-30-2009, 04:17 PM
OK, I sent a PM to TCFan and have not heard back from him.

TCFan, do you still want the use of the molds or do you want to take a pass for the time being.

If I don't hear back from you in a week, I'll put you to the bottom of the list and let the next guy in line have a whack at 'em.

Thanks.

JSChance

JSChance

Better take my name off the list for now.....Sent you a PM...Thanks.......Terry

jschance
02-05-2009, 04:46 PM
OK, it looks like we've got a new batting order now.

Here's the updated list

Eaglefacts (in possession, soon to be complete)
Bulletlube
Dan OH (New to List)
TCFAN

Bulletlube
02-20-2009, 02:06 PM
I received the moulds today. I took some pictures if someone would tell me how I will post them.

Bulletlube
02-23-2009, 01:06 PM
This was from the Aluminum mould. The large number was from the part line. Left end of sprue and left bullet from hinge side of sprue plate.

Rick N Bama
03-20-2009, 01:16 PM
OK, it looks like we've got a new batting order now.

Here's the updated list

Eaglefacts (in possession, soon to be complete)
Bulletlube
Dan OH (New to List)
TCFAN

I would appreciate being added to the list.

Thanks,

Rick

Gunload Master
03-30-2009, 09:30 PM
I did get some funds from DanOH as well! Thanks for this you guys!

jschance
03-31-2009, 10:02 AM
OK.

New and updated list.

Dan OH (Should recieve soon)
Rick N Bama
TCFAN (pending his availability)

I really need to go back and total up how many folks have used these molds. There's had to be tens of thousands of bullets cast through these molds.

jschance
04-01-2009, 09:00 AM
OK, newer and more updated list now available.

TCFan (who has been on the list for quite some time but had to step out due to family obligations) has been able to rejoin the list, so he's now the new recipient of the moldshare.

Here's the new list:

TCFAN (enroute as we type)
Dan OH
Rick N Bama

Gunload Master
04-02-2009, 08:07 PM
I got a donation from TCFAN as well! Thanks you guys!!

TCFAN
04-02-2009, 08:43 PM
Molds received today from Bulletlube.
I turned on my Lyman electric pot and cast up 14 pounds of the 4 cav boolits.
The average wt. was 188.1 grs. The dia. ran right at .357 to .358.

Cast up a few with the 2 cav steel meehanite and they averaged 177.5 grs.
I was very disappointed with the dia. at .355 to .356. But they were very consistent...I was using straight WW.

I will cast one more time with the 4 cav and then move them to the next one in line. Probably be next week ................Terry

TCFAN
04-07-2009, 10:06 AM
The molds are in the mail again. Shipped to Dan OH this morning...PM sent........Terry

DanOH
04-08-2009, 08:22 PM
This was from the Aluminum mould. The large number was from the part line. Left end of sprue and left bullet from hinge side of sprue plate.

BL,
What alloy where you using to make those purty bullets.
If I can get them to drop at .3575 I would be happy.
Any other tips you can think of to make casting good bullets with these
molds would be apreciated...they should arrive tomorrow or the next day...
Dan

Bulletlube
04-09-2009, 11:07 AM
BL,
What alloy where you using to make those purty bullets.
If I can get them to drop at .3575 I would be happy.
Any other tips you can think of to make casting good bullets with these
molds would be apreciated...they should arrive tomorrow or the next day...
Dan

Linotype

Gunload Master
04-10-2009, 07:19 PM
Got some funds from Rick N Bama! Thanks!

SciFiJim
04-11-2009, 01:32 AM
These look like just the ticket for my Marlin. Please add me to the list.

jschance
04-15-2009, 01:47 PM
DanOH,
I used two different alloys. Straight wheelweight and 9 parts wheelweight to 1 part linotype.

Had good luck with both, only don't forget that you've got to run the molds hot.

JSChance

DanOH
04-16-2009, 12:16 AM
OK I'm done making a lifetime supply of 357180gc boolits!
I started out with 50/50 lino/ww but had alot of trouble with the boolits being reluctant to drop. Seems like the 4 cav mold (the only one I used) did the best with straight ww running hot. The higher the tin content the more flashing I got. This mold is vented to the max, nice fillout, but I think thats what makes it stubburn (for me anyways). Nice boolits.
Soon as I get an address it's off to RicknBama!
Dan Robinson

Rick N Bama
04-16-2009, 06:40 AM
OK I'm done making a lifetime supply of 357180gc boolits!
I started out with 50/50 lino/ww but had alot of trouble with the boolits being reluctant to drop. Seems like the 4 cav mold (the only one I used) did the best with straight ww running hot. The higher the tin content the more flashing I got. This mold is vented to the max, nice fillout, but I think thats what makes it stubburn (for me anyways). Nice boolits.
Soon as I get an address it's off to RicknBama!
Dan Robinson

I've sent you my info via a PM, thanks,

Rick

jschance
04-20-2009, 12:07 PM
Man, I need to keep on my toes around here.

Looks like Dan is done with them and Rick n Bama is next on the list.

So, here's the list as it now stands

Dan OH - Completed and soon to ship
Rick N Bama - Soon to recieve
SciFiJim - On deck

Also; Dan, what weight were you getting from the Aluminum molds. For me they were dropping in the 190 grain weight, rather than 180.

Rick N Bama
04-20-2009, 04:27 PM
The molds arrived in today's mail. Be patient with me guys for I'm a slow caster. 30 minutes to an hour is a long session for me as the old back gets to barking if I stand there much longer.

Thanks to DanOH for sending them to me.

Rick

SciFiJim
04-21-2009, 04:12 PM
Rick, Take you time. Better good than fast.

Bulletlube
04-24-2009, 09:39 PM
Rick,

I built a tall bench so that I can sit. A little weird at first but I can sit a lot longer than I can stand.

Rick N Bama
04-25-2009, 07:58 AM
Rick,

I built a tall bench so that I can sit. A little weird at first but I can sit a lot longer than I can stand.

I have a bench where I could sit, but I stand so that I can beat a hasty retreat should the need arise[smilie=1:

Rick

DanOH
04-25-2009, 10:19 PM
Rick,
Did the bullplate lube help with the sprue release?
Dan

Rick N Bama
04-26-2009, 09:21 AM
Rick,
Did the bullplate lube help with the sprue release?
Dan

Maybe just a little, still I'm keeping the putty knife handy. This mold (the 4 holer) sure does cast better when the pour is hot. I'm keeping a damp rag handy to use on the sprue to speed things up a bit.

As everyone else has found, my boolits are close to being under size, but I think I'll be able to use them.

I should finish up with the mold this afternoon, then I want to cast a few with the 2 cavity, after that it's off to SciFiJim.

Rick

jschance
05-01-2009, 07:18 AM
Well, it appears that the molds are on their way to SciFiJim, so it appears we're reaching the end of the program.

I think if we ever do this again, we all need to sign the box or something just so we can see where all it went. I think this box has crossed the country three or four times in the last two years.:drinks:

Gunload Master
05-02-2009, 12:57 PM
I got some funds from SciFiJim as well! Thanks for keeping this going everyone!!

SciFiJim
05-04-2009, 04:06 PM
I received the molds today. It will be a few days before I can cast a few. I'll see if I can get some pictures up when I do.

SciFiJim
05-06-2009, 11:19 PM
I got a chance to cast a few with each mould today. The two cavity mould boolits are measuring at,.354-.355, too small for me to use. About half of the four cavity boolits were also undersized, .356-.357. The others were measuring about .358-.3585. Then I got the idea to temporarily beagle the four banger with several thicknesses of aluminum foil. Four layers of foil placed full length just under the alignment pins did the trick. Now I am getting .3595-.3615. There were a lot of rejects with fins, but the rest will be usable after resizing. I will try again with two layers of foil and see what I get.

Rick N Bama
05-09-2009, 02:51 PM
Jim, will your gaschecks fit the Beageled boolits? I thought of Beageling the 2 cavity that way but asssumed the GCs wouldn't fit. It's a shame that the iron mold is casting undersized, as it sure was a pleasure to use. Pefect boolits fell from it for me, but they all went back into the pot after I checked them with the mics.

Rick

SciFiJim
05-09-2009, 03:07 PM
I just came in from trying that very thing. I measured the nose when I got the previous numbers and didn't think to measure the driving bands. The bottom bands are still too small. So, all of about 200 that I have cast go back in the pot. If I try to beagle the top part of the mold, then the gas check shank will be to large. I am out of ideas.

jschance
05-21-2009, 12:12 PM
Well Gents, it looks like we've gotten to the end of the line on this particular "Rent a Mold" Program.

I appreciate all the cooperation and honesty that has been exhibited during this program. At no time did we lose the molds and to my best examination the molds were treated with respect and care at all stages of the journey.

It's been a pleasure participating in this project, and wouldn't have any reservations of assuming the Honcho position on any further ones. The one thing I would do different is I would have everyone sign a card or the box or something just so we could track the numbers of folks that participated.

I'd also like to thank KYWoodwrkr, who is the one who started the ball rolling and selflessly offered up these molds to be shared. :drinks:

Y'all take care.

JSChance

50calshooter
06-12-2009, 02:53 PM
I sure wish someone would do this with at least 3 different 12 ga molds.

Rick N Bama
01-28-2010, 08:06 AM
I sure wish someone would do this with at least 3 different 12 ga molds.

Slug molds? I'll be first in line to give them a try.

Rick

wiersy111
01-30-2010, 01:18 PM
Man a day late again. This is a really cool idea I would defiantly be interested in participating if you do something like this again. It would be a great way to check out these great custom molds.

deerslayer
03-22-2010, 12:27 PM
yes more interest here as well I hould love to use a custom mold and pay a small fee!!

Hamish
03-28-2011, 07:14 AM
Ky, there are at least three of us that would like to do this. Wanna keep the pyramid scheme going??? @(:^]#>:::

Rich

handyman25
08-01-2011, 05:14 PM
I now have Marlin 35 remington, so if it starts up again I am in.