PDA

View Full Version : Moose with a 45-70 Marlin

dubber123
10-28-2007, 06:39 PM
Not me, but my brother called earlier, he's hunting in northern Vermont for the cow only moose season. He got a 540 lb cow with his Marlin Guide Gun in 45-70. The load is a 440 grain flat nose gas check that I cast, over enough H-322 to get 1,800 fps. He took one shot at 125 yds., and said it dropped on the spot to a shoulder hit. I asked if he got the bullet back, (I knew he wouldn't), and he said no, I think it's still going. He was really tickled . He's carried the gun for 3 years now, and hasn't got a shot at anything until now.:drinks:

OBXPilgrim
10-28-2007, 07:34 PM
That's fanastic - can't wait for the first deer from one of my cast slugs.

dubber123
10-28-2007, 07:48 PM
That's fanastic - can't wait for the first deer from one of my cast slugs.

Yeah, I'm determined to get my next deer with cast. I've had a pretty good dry spell. Maybe this year.[smilie=1:

Ranch Dog
10-28-2007, 10:18 PM
Dubber,

You and your brother did good!

wolfspotter
10-29-2007, 07:01 PM
I took some pictures of four moose in Dresden on the New York side of Lake Champlain a few years ago. Hope to see the day we can hunt them here but they must be a hassle to gut and drag to the car.
I assume moose will be on this thanksgivings menu. Congrads to your brother :-D

dubber123
10-29-2007, 10:16 PM
Thanks guys, my brother is back home, and got the moose mostly cut and packaged. Luckily the weather turned much colder. He origionally thought he had broke the shoulders as it went down so quickly, but after skinning, The shot entered high behind one shoulder, basically hit nothing other than a rib, and exited in front of the off side shoulder. No spine hit, and nothing other that a rib hit. He said it went right on it's face at the shot, as it was trotting away when he saw it. The entrance hole is nearly 2", and so is the exit. He was definately impressed with how the cast slugs work. about a 4" area of bloodshot around the exit, not much waste either. He's a happy camper.

square butte
10-30-2007, 08:56 AM
dubber 123, How many years has he been trying for that moose permit? I've been puttin in for 8 years here in VT. Maybe another 20 or so and i'll get lucky, or maybe just a little grace and the Hand-O-God. (H.O.G.) Hope you get a steak or two out of the deal.

dubber123
10-30-2007, 06:13 PM
dubber 123, How many years has he been trying for that moose permit? I've been puttin in for 8 years here in VT. Maybe another 20 or so and i'll get lucky, or maybe just a little grace and the Hand-O-God. (H.O.G.) Hope you get a steak or two out of the deal. Tom

At least 5 years that I can remember, which means it is probably more. I believe they are on a "point" system now, so that the guys who have been applying all along will get a shot after a certain number of points, so keep applying. At the rate you are going now though at 10$ each time you appy, it will work out to about 487$ a pound!

waksupi
10-30-2007, 08:49 PM
Point systems are for the same who play the lottery. After seven years here, you have your maximum xtra points. Along with everyone one else. So, your odds are the same all over again.

dubber123
10-30-2007, 09:08 PM
Point systems are for the same who play the lottery. After seven years here, you have your maximum xtra points. Along with everyone one else. So, your odds are the same all over again.

Hmmm, never thought of it that way!

Adam10mm
11-02-2007, 11:17 PM
Great news. I'm got three guns and only two kill tags. What to do? I want to get something with my Guide Gun 45/70 this year.