PDA

View Full Version : Tac1 from RandyRat

chuckbuster
09-23-2013, 08:50 PM
I have never noticed much discussion about Tac1 Lube from RandyRat. I don't have a lot of experience with a bunch of different formula's but you will never convince me there is one much better at least for revolver work.

.480 Ruger. MiHec 477-640, 50/50 alloy (ww/pure) Gas Checked and Tac1, Lil Gun and Win WLP primers

40 rounds, virtually no smoke, just a bit of powder fouling, no leading. Barrel looked at least as shiny when I was done as when I started. It even smells good! :)

Just wanted to throw a "plug" out there for a good guy to deal with.
Kevin

Beagle333
09-24-2013, 10:22 AM
I love TAC#1:cool: (and the smell is a plus);)

treadwm
09-29-2013, 03:28 PM
Ditto! I use it on 9mm and it has worked just fine. And Randy has been great to deal with.

Though I have to admit, the Ghostbusters' ectoplasm snot color annoys me. Enough that I add enough blue aniline dye powder to turn it a dark forest green.
:-)

carolina556
09-29-2013, 03:50 PM
I ordered some and I can tell you it was shipped quickly and looks to be great lube.... I will be using it this coming week :) Randy was very nice to deal with and I hope I can get some other products later on, maybe the Lanolin to make brass lube with....

PS Paul
09-29-2013, 03:50 PM
That's a good tip for color, tread. Kinda like Jaguar "Racing Green", it sounds like.

I too have found this lube to be outstanding. I've used it in HOT .357, warm .45 Colt, warm .45 ACP revolver loads, 9 mm, 7x57 and 6.5x55 to 1,650 fps with very little smoke.

I'm out right now, but next go around I might try the "Racing Green" dye trick. Nice.....

Beagle333
09-29-2013, 04:00 PM
This is 3oz TAC#1 with 1/4 of a green crayon in it.
http://i613.photobucket.com/albums/tt214/shutupandjump/cast%20boolits/bobcat037_zpsa507fd13.jpg

PS Paul
09-29-2013, 04:21 PM
Man, those are just plain gorgeous, that's all.

Last year I gave boolits in several different calibers as gifts for employees who reload at Christmas. I did a run of red and green lubed boolits in the spirit of Christmas. The green with the crayon looks FAR better than simple TAC 1, so this year, I'll be addin' a crayon!!

Neat.

Beagle333
09-29-2013, 06:32 PM
That's a great idea. I make Christmas lube for my BP revolvers too. :-D (But not with TAC#1) I have seen (last year) a guy make up some holiday boolits with red and green lube on alternate rings of the same boolit. I guess he did some fancy die work in his sizer.
http://i613.photobucket.com/albums/tt214/shutupandjump/black%20powder/success.jpg

carolina556
09-29-2013, 06:36 PM
Wow I like the crayon idea, the lube groove looks really slick!!

randyrat
09-29-2013, 06:45 PM
Yeah I got the hint, Lime green is kinda like ECOPLASMA ish..so I am going to look into a darker ZOMBE GREEN additive. I am trying to keep as low of smoke as possible so my choices are slim...

Hay, The women like the smell though, right.

My goodness Beagle those are nice lookin boolits

treadwm
09-29-2013, 08:36 PM
Aniline dye doesn't seem to add smoke. Here's mine after adding dk blue.

rexherring
09-30-2013, 05:32 PM
I too have been putting in a small chunk of green crayon just to see if the fill is complete. Love the TAC1 in everything I'm reloading for.

NoZombies
09-30-2013, 05:37 PM
I am a convert. I spent a lot of time and money making my own lubes, trying different formulations and experimenting. I tried some Tac-1 from Randy, and I haven't bothered making my own lube since.

I have only tried it so far in handgun calibers, but I can tell you that it's lower smoke, and lower residue than any of the other commercial lubes I've tried, and I haven't had any issues with the lube failing yet, even in extreme heat applications.

randyrat
09-30-2013, 05:55 PM
Whooo I'm afraid Aniline die is Toxic, it smells up a storm, and has a dirty flame when it burns. So far TAC1 is not very Toxic, does not smoke and it is gonna stay that way. Educate me on this stuff please....I pulled a little info off the web.

texassako
09-30-2013, 07:12 PM
+1 on it smelling good. It has done as well as some LBT blue lubed samples I was given in 2 rifles I could do a side by side comparison. They were below 2000fps loads I think, no chronograph at the time. It also did very well holding up in a pitted barrel rifle where 45/45/10, thinned LLA, and a homemade beeswax based dip lube did not. I don't mind the color if it works, and you can't see it once loaded.

fredj338
09-30-2013, 07:43 PM
I've been using Tac1 for most of my IDPA shooting this year. It smokes a tiny bit, but nothing like some of the other guys shooting. No leading & exc accuracy, inexpensive too.

Lights
09-30-2013, 07:55 PM
I also like Tac#1. The wife attacks me after I get done lubing my boolits.:bigsmyl2:

Beagle333
09-30-2013, 10:01 PM
You don't have to change the color, Randy. I'll add it myself. Crayons is cheap!
(and a whole one goes a looooong way) :bigsmyl2:

treadwm
10-01-2013, 09:17 AM
Randy,
You really don't have to change the color. I like the darker green but your stuff works great as is.

Guys,
In case you're interested, here's some of the info i shared with Randy.
Aniline dye is a somewhat generic term for synthetic dyes that are often used in woodworking. I build electric guitars occasionally and happen to have some on hand. I've had a fair amount of experience working with them. Stores like Rockler & Homestead Finishing carry Transfast (dry powder) or TransTint (liquid) dyes. Both would work.
http://www.homesteadfinishingproduct...nsFastdyes.htm
http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?p...anstint%20dyes

But the dye I used for my lube was this:
http://shop.kremerpigments.com/en/dy...ye-94030:.html
It more often referred to as a 'metal complex' dye and provides an exceptional strong color. I used 1 - 1.5 teaspoons of powdered dye in a pound of lube which turned out to be far too much. It not only turned it green but is headed towards blue. So you would prob need very little to achieve a medium green. A 1/4tsp would prob have been sufficient if dispersed evenly.

In addition, while aniline dye is 'toxic', not noticeably so in the concentrations needed to turn the lube green. From the MSDS,

11. Toxicological Information
Acute toxicity LD50,
oral: > 5000 mg/kg

Primary effects
Irritant effect on skin: Non irritating
Irritant effect on eyes: Non-irritating to eyes

That oral dosage translates, at my weight (190lbs), to roughly 16oz. Now compare that to the dosage used for the lube. Also, this dye does not present problems via skin absorption. In fact, once mixed into the lube it doesn't even stain the skin permanently as it would in a solvent carrier.

The more important aspect is prob the cost. While very little is needed, it is pricey. 100g (roughly 3.5oz) is $38.00. Though that amount would prob tint 100-125lbs of lube. <<shrug>>

Hopefully this info has been helpful or at least, entertaining. :-)

--treadwm

novalty
10-01-2013, 12:03 PM
Received a shipment of TAC1 yesterday from Randy. Top-notch customer service, and excellent packing! Didn't know you could get so much in a plain flat rate envelope. [smilie=w:

Now to clean the Lyman lube out of my RCBS LAMII.

randyrat
10-02-2013, 07:21 AM
treadwm I thank you for the MSDS info..doesn't look to to be very toxic and is not a skin irritant or eye. Could be used with good results with such a low amount.

Lights
10-02-2013, 10:33 AM
Zombi Green would be cool.

chuckbuster
10-03-2013, 06:30 PM
I say if it don't need fixing don't break it.

Is the color really that important unless you are color coding boolits for alloy or something?

Just my 2 cents
Kevin

PS Paul
10-03-2013, 06:47 PM

Is the color really that important unless you are color coding boolits for alloy or something?

Just my 2 cents

It is solely for the pleasure and enjoyment of the caster. In my case, I colored some lube on boolits I gave as gifts. The recipients thought I was like Santa Claus AND super-clever, not to mention thoughtful. ha ha!!!
Kevin:bigsmyl2:

JonB_in_Glencoe
10-03-2013, 07:04 PM

Just my 2 cents
Kevin

I use Tak #1 with crayon added.
for me it's not about the aesthetics, it's about a deeper darker color so I can easily see that fillout in the lube grooves is complete...especially on 22 cal boolits with thin and shallow grooves.
Jon

Beagle333
10-03-2013, 07:53 PM
I could say that it's to keep my boolit lube separate from my BP lube, since it is beeswax based and about the same color..... but I won't.

It's about the aesthetics.... yup..... that's it..... the aesthetics.

Just mix it right in there, and smile...... http://i839.photobucket.com/albums/zz318/Syndog71/Emoticons/pot_stirrer.gif

treadwm
10-04-2013, 07:57 AM
for me it's not about the aesthetics, it's about a deeper darker color so I can easily see that fillout in the lube grooves is complete...especially on 22 cal boolits with thin and shallow grooves.
Jon

what he said. :) And when you're pan lubing it helps you see how big a mess you're really making.

retread
10-07-2013, 11:21 PM
Jon

Second that. Easier to see for these old eyes. Just got mine from Randy today. Added a dark blue crayon to the one pound and zapped it in the microwave. Poured it in the 450 and was cranking them out it no time. Thanks for the super service Randy. I hope to get out to the range soon and test them out.

Jay

GP100man
10-10-2013, 08:55 PM
I` ve been working too much & shooting TOO little but I shot my first group of 6 with all touching using heavy wadcutter (2 grooves lubed) 3gr. of reddot & TAC#1 even though it was only 15 yds I was impressed. Low smoke , easy to get it to move thru the luber.

I bought some lube making stuff ,BUT why ??!!

Randy , got any solid stiks ???

randyrat
10-13-2013, 04:38 AM
Yes I always have Solid sticks on hand for the Starr machines. Don't over look Micro nuking and pouring into your Reservoir, OR save your time for more important things like family, friends and more shooting and just order SOLID.

Beagle333
10-13-2013, 11:11 AM
TAC#1 (+ green) in the 311291 and the 311440HP. I am shooting these in the single shot, so I lube the crimp groove too.:grin:
http://i613.photobucket.com/albums/tt214/shutupandjump/cast%20boolits/291005_zpsb10cc95c.jpg
http://i613.photobucket.com/albums/tt214/shutupandjump/cast%20boolits/440_zpsf30e6db6.jpg?t=1382240178

treadwm
10-13-2013, 11:29 AM
Beagle,
I like that shade of green. You can def see the coverage easily.

Grump
10-18-2013, 11:34 PM
Hey, any of you have accuracy results using TAC #1 with the H&G 68-type bullet at 50 yards???

I'm getting ready to cast some more of them, and want to make sure the more demanding accuracy performance is equal to old stinky NRA formula. When I stick with my best-cast, I was getting 3-4 inch groups at 50 using that 50/50 stuff.

Got 2-inch groups at 100 yards from a .30 Carbine years ago, using some similarly-green Do-All lube and something else added, same results with Lyman or RCBS or something with moly CV joint grease added. IIRC, both stunk like the usual Alox/Beeswax mix, and the commercial lube stuff smoked more than the Do-All mix. The Do-All, now that I think about it, might not have stunk at all.

So far, I'm loving the TAC #1, especially how it handles on lubed bullets.

randyrat
10-21-2013, 08:30 PM
Grump I would like to see your results and reflections on this application. 30 carbine with a plan base bullet..What kind of velocity

Victor N TN
10-21-2013, 09:50 PM
So far I've been lubing bullets I cast 20 years ago. But I'll be heating up the lead pot before long.

I have been using Randy's TAC 1. I just got another shipment of it today. He has real good service too.

randyrat
10-22-2013, 07:04 PM
OK I'm testing out some dyes, here is a (not sure what color) darker green slight bluish. I think it darkens the lube up enough to help you see it on your boolits better.
Thanks to Bruce381

The lighter one is natural from light yellow beeswax and the slightly darker is with the added dye

treadwm
10-22-2013, 07:16 PM
That's pretty cool. I like it.

Beagle333
10-22-2013, 10:12 PM
I like em too. :mrgreen:

treadwm
02-19-2014, 10:43 PM
Randy was kind enough to send a sample of the new green TAC-1. However, it took forever to get my previous lube out. Apparently, I'm not casting enough! Well, it finally made its way through but not quite as I expected. The two colors come through half & half. Almost perfectly split.

So now you can see Randy's new green on the left and my own blue-green version of TAC-1 on the right.

mac60
02-19-2014, 11:08 PM
I use it on everything. It's everything Randy claims, it's good stuff. Randy, I like the darker color.

randyrat
02-19-2014, 11:53 PM
It's Olive Drab ( I always thought Olive Drab was a military color, BTUs)...I matched it up to a color chart. I like it darker and darker does show up on your boolits better.

John Allen
02-20-2014, 12:01 AM
Randy, How does the Tac 1 run through a star? Does it need a heater?

MTtimberline
02-20-2014, 12:31 AM
Now I'm gonna have to order some to know what it smells like.

PWS
02-20-2014, 02:00 AM
Runs great in a Star but will need a little bit of heat (in my experience...)

Smells kinda like SnoSeal boot dressing (again, in my experience...[smilie=w:)

MTtimberline
02-20-2014, 10:24 AM
Still going to buy some when I need lube to try it based on everything I heard.

treadwm
02-20-2014, 10:33 AM
Runs great in a Star but will need a little bit of heat (in my experience...)

Smells kinda like SnoSeal boot dressing (again, in my experience...[smilie=w:)

lol! I'd forgotten about SnoSeal. Haven't used that since I was a kid. And it kinda does...

In my 4500, it will work without heat but is much easier with a little. Plug the heater in for 10min and I'm good for the duration most of the time.

I'll be buying more in the new color once the old is gone. A pound lasts a long time when you do mostly 9mm. :-)

jonas302
02-20-2014, 10:37 AM
I think he should make air fresheners (: it just smells pleasant and non chemically

rexherring
02-20-2014, 11:49 AM
Nice to see that the TAC 1 is getting more attention. I've been using it in everything I load for from my .380 to my .45-70. Good stuff and I haven't seen the need to make my own and his prices are great plus I don't have to make a mess.

Beagle333
02-20-2014, 12:07 PM
TAC#1 is good stuff, and you gotta love the smell. 8-)

John Allen
02-20-2014, 02:15 PM
I am going to order some for my star. I want to give it a try. I have randys other lube and it is great.

ravelode
02-20-2014, 02:27 PM
I like it so far, works in my 450 without heat and a lot less boolit-to boolit sticky than the 50/50 jakes i'm used to. great product great price

Hickok
02-20-2014, 02:56 PM
Just started using TAC 1. Excellent lube, and it really does have a nice smell! It is working great in everything for me. Just received 10 more sticks from Randyrat.

I do like the color, as it is easy to see if the lube grooves are full. Randyrat is top-notch to deal with.

LenH
02-20-2014, 05:17 PM
I got in on the front end of the Tac lube. Randy rat offered a 2# kit back in 2011. I jumped on it and made half the lube and made sticks for the lube-sizer. Finally ran out of the old lube and got some
.45 230 RN cast for practice in a CMP match. Being in the mid-south no heat needed and the lube works like a champ. Low to no smoke, no leading and a clean barrel.

I just bought a new mold in .45 160 gr SWC, 8 cavity H&G from sagamore-one. Going to heat the thing up this weekend and see how these work in my wad gun. I've been using that particular
bullet for 7 or 8 years but were made by Valiant Bullet. I'm going to lube these with Tac lube and I'm sure the results will be fantastic.

randyrat
02-20-2014, 08:07 PM
Snow seal,,, That's funny, I had some of that for my leather mild weather boots.. that stuff smells kinda like, well, kinda more petroleum smell than the TAC 1
TAC 1 was made in part to keep the fairer one off my back for smells in the house.
BTW, LenH It will work in low or even Medium loads unlike some of the harder lubes have a tough time in Medium loads. Maybe Gear or one of the scientist here could put it in words.