PDA

View Full Version : No Amerimax flashing up here in Canada, but did find some .0115 flashing

Chook
09-23-2013, 07:48 PM
Just wondering if .0115 flashing could be used to make 30 cal. gas checks? Finding the .014 material up here is next to impossible. Anyone tried this thickness? Anyone foresee any problems if I used this size? Inside shank diameter should be the same, just a few thou difference in the external diameter? Would appreciate some input, thanks.

RogerWatsonfromIdaho
09-23-2013, 08:17 PM
Try
http://www.coilandfoil.com/

MUSTANG
09-23-2013, 09:26 PM
Chook:

Give it a try, you may find that if there is spring back in the check, so you will get a slightly wider portion at the exposed edge of the gas check, forming a seal and a scraper edge (acting similar to the Scraper edges on a PIG in a pipeline). It is worth the effort to make a few and try. You are only 0.015 off the thickness so spring back my help. If you get poor or mediocre results, then go seeking another source such as with Yonky or ....

Mustang

Chook
09-23-2013, 09:30 PM
Makes good sense, thanks Mustang, I will give it a go and see what happens.

Chook:

Give it a try, you may find that if there is spring back in the check, so you will get a slightly wider portion at the exposed edge of the gas check, forming a seal and a scraper edge (acting similar to the Scraper edges on a PIG in a pipeline). It is worth the effort to make a few and try. You are only 0.015 off the thickness so spring back my help. If you get poor or mediocre results, then go seeking another source such as with Yonky or ....

Mustang

Mohavedog
09-29-2013, 03:14 PM
Chook, You can probably successfully make gc's using .0115" material in the gc maker you now have. BUT----you will have problems with the fit on your boolit. If you can live with gluing the checks on the shank, that may work. But a better way would be to ream the mold (in the shank area only) to enlarge the gc shank the .0025" needed for the difference. Then you will need to slightly enlarge the opening in the finished gc to fit onto the enlarged boolit gc shank.
Having a custom made gc maker won't solve your basic issue, which is the relationship of the gc shank of the boolit to the od of the sized boolit.
I hope this makes sense, if you need clarification feel free to pm and I'll try to explain it
more clearly. This info is my opinion based on making several sets of gc makers for my own use.
Good luck, Mohavedog

w5pv
09-29-2013, 03:38 PM
ventli hood piping is .015.I haven't made any out of it yet but the .013 for sale (aluminum) signs work good,no gluing.They ones I made out .011 material works but I would have to hold them on until I could start the boolit into the case by hand.