PDA

View Full Version : New to reloading - need some advice/help on lubing two different styles of boolits

bedbugbilly
09-23-2013, 06:28 PM
I’m getting ready to start on my first re-loads. I have about 400 rounds each cast up of the lead SWC 158 gr – flat base (on left) and the lead round nose flat base 150 gr (on right) bullets. (Lee molds) I have a couple of questions.

I know the 158 gr. are for tumble lube. I have some of the Lee ALOX that I am going to try on some of these – I have also been reading on here about using paste wax so I will give that a try as well. This one seems pretty straight forward.

The 150 gr. round nose bullets are not “tumble lube” though. I’m wondering if these can be tumble lubed the same as the 158 gr. – will enough of the lube get in to the lube grooves (2 of them plus the crimp grove)? Will enough get in there to do the job or should these grooves be completely full?

I don’t have a sizing die – these will be shot “as cast”. If I continue to use the 150 gr round nose, would it be better to pan lube them with a “stiffer lube” and then run them through a .358 sizer or will they be fine if the grooves aren’t completely full?

Once these are lubed and spread out on wax paper to dry/harden . can they be left on their sides or should they all be set upright on their flat bases? What about the lube on the bottom of the flat base – does this need to be wiped off prior to seating? i.e. will the small amount of lube on the flat base affect the powder charge – especially if they aren’t fired right away and possibly sit for a few months.? (I’m loading 38 spl.) Since my reloaded cartridges will be stored nose down in plastic storage boxes, it seems like there is a greater opportunity for the powder charge to rest on any lube on the bottom of the bullet and be absorbed in to the charge?

I know there are all types of lubes and recipes. I have shot BP revolvers for years as well as rifled musket and round ball. I make the lube for them by melting a pound of Crisco with the wax from a toilet ring. I heat it in the microwave – mix together and then pour in to tins to cool. The consistency of it would be about like paste wax – stiff enough to wipe a rifle patch across to lube yet soft enough to dip out with a small popsickle stick to spread over each chamber opening. It works well with BP – seems to keep fouling down well – BUT – would it work as well with smokeless? I’m sure it would stick well with the 158 gr tumble lube but will it work if the 150 gr round nose are tumble lubed?

Since handloading is new to me, I’m just not sure how much lube is enough or too much? Does one cast lead bullet design need more lube than another?

Thanks for any help / advice to get me started out right on this new adventure – greatly appreciated!

fryboy
09-23-2013, 06:42 PM
either can be tumble lubed , and no sir the grooves do not have to be full , as for standing upright ... some do and some dont , as long as you put a thin coat on ( like the instructions state ) it is less problematic , i do have to give a nod out to recluse's recipe , ( the 45-45-10 ) it's much much better than the LLA alone and if you're like me ( i detest the smell of alox ) it also makes it quite a bit more bearable

as for sizing required ... that depends upon what size they are and if they fit in the chamber once loaded , load a dummy of each and see [shrugz] if they fit great ! if not plan on sizing them , oh and before i forget 2 or 3 thin coats of tumble lube should be used even if not sizing for best results , remember you should barely be able to see it on the boolit , g'luck amigo !

williamwaco
09-23-2013, 06:55 PM
I use LLA straight. I used to cut it with mineral spirits but have better luck and less mess using it straight.

A teaspoon in a zip lock bag will do 300 of either of those bullets.

Sizing is not REQUIRED but you will not like the results if you don't.

You will find that one to two in ten loaded cartridges will not chamber.

If you size them, size them before you lube them. ( No it will not lead up your die. I have sized over 50,000 like that with ZERO problems. )
If you lube them before you size them, you must lube them again after you size them.

bedbugbilly
09-23-2013, 07:52 PM
Thank you fellas - I appreciate your help and the information. I had planned on loading up several "dummy" loads to try in the chambers of my pistols. I was going to "mike" some of the lead rounds today to check and see what they are truly running but when I went to get my micrometer, I discovered I didn't have it - its in my tool box in AZ and I'm currently in MI. I'm going to stop at Harbor Freight and pick up a vernier caliper tomorrow - need to have one in the reloading box anyway. I'm retired so my time is my own - if I have to size, it's not a big deal. I'll probably order a Lee sizing kit and one of the cheaper single stage presses and just dedicate it to sizing the bullets.

I appreciate the information on the lubing - I like to play around with things like lubes so will take a look at the recipes and see what I need to pick up to play with. I know there are lots of "tricks" to learn . . . I am really enjoying getting set up and reading various things - and the willingness of others here who are experienced in reloading to help newcomers is just one of the things that makes this such a great site! My thanks to you all!