PDA

View Full Version : Casting Equipment Purchase of the day...

novalty
09-23-2013, 04:33 PM
Well spotted this lonely item last Friday, sitting in a jumble of mess at the LGS--with no price tag on it. So I had to stop back in again today on my lunch break just to find out if it was for sale and for how much. Well a short discussion with the saleman, who apparently was thinking along the same wavelength as me on price. I became the new owner of a collectable, ultra-rare, limited production, vintage, highly sought after "backwards N" Lyman ingot mold. Must be worth at least the $5 I paid for it. Figured it wouldn't hurt to have another ingot mold on hand when I go to melt down the 400 lbs of wheel weights I have for my next smelt.
http://thumbs3.ebaystatic.com/d/l225/m/mC2Chyk3JItw5w_tli5_dyQ.jpg

Dales66Ford
09-23-2013, 08:19 PM
Nice score for 5 bucks!

jmort
09-23-2013, 08:30 PM
Nice to find something useful at a very fair price. good for you.

Green Frog
09-24-2013, 11:13 AM
I have yet to see one with a "forwards" N on it! I do know that the two "backwards N" units I've got have been faithful companions and literally moulded a ton of ingots of lead and lead alloys over the last 30+ years. I got both of them used as parts of other long forgotten deals and they still look exactly like the day I got them. If you decide you don't like it, I'll happily give you that Lincoln back for it, and even pay shipping! Good find. ;)

Froggie

williamwaco
09-24-2013, 11:52 AM
Another ingot mold?

I have three of them and I still have to wait on them to cool when smelting.
I wish I had three more.

novalty
09-24-2013, 12:05 PM
Another ingot mold?

I have three of them and I still have to wait on them to cool when smelting.
I wish I had three more.

I know what you mean. When I did my first smelt of wheel weight a couple months ago, I only did 100 pounds. The 2 Lyman Molds I had and a larger cast iron corn muffin pan were not enough. Paying $5 for another ingot mold, was a lot better than using another $23 in Cabelas points for another Lyman one.

After looking at the mold again it more appears to be a "NAMYL" mold with a backwards "L". Which makes it even rarer-er.