PDA

View Full Version : Shotmaker linotype question

chrismeats
09-23-2013, 11:28 AM
Hello,

I am new to this forum but have been learking in the background reading for awhile.

About 6 months ago I bought a shotmaker and have run about 150 pounds so far with great success.

Over the weekend I ran across a bunch of Lintoype for 75 cents per pound. Is this a good deal? I have access to a fair amount of pure lead. some of it for free. Seems like buying a bunch of linotype to harden my pure stuff would be a good idea?

Thinking worst case scenario and all my other lead sources dry up can you drop shot from just linotype? Seems like it would just make some really hard shot but I'm just making 7.5 for trap shooting. would the extra hard shot cause any issues?

I'm thinking about buying all they have. up to about 1000 pounds. Does this make sense?

bangerjim
09-23-2013, 11:48 AM
Lino at that price is very good! I would buy all you can afford - it will come in handy in the future for casting/trading.

bangerjim

Liberty'sSon
09-23-2013, 11:49 AM
Buy it all. Sell what you don't need here on S&s.

Littleton Shot Maker
02-03-2014, 03:28 AM
NO, NO it will plug the drippers fast as @@@@, the shot will be way too hard, brittle etc. you need to mix it with pure lead.

Lloyd Smale
02-03-2014, 08:25 AM
you found a holy grail of linotype supplys. BUY IT ALL!!!

dbosman
02-03-2014, 05:13 PM
Buy it all, then sell some to purchase range lead for the shot maker.

Littleton Shot Maker
02-04-2014, 05:22 PM
NO.

YES buy it, don't use it for shot,

that is too precious a source of hard metals for casting bullets.
LINO by itself is too hard, brittle and light, and the amount of antimony will scale up inside the drippers and plug them faster than pure lead.

Are you sure it true lino not mono type. Are there any shims, or spacer blocks?? some of those are stereo type and some can even be pure.'

IF , big IF, I had no wheel weight alloy lead, I would get 60-40 solder and mix in down with pure to get 1 in 20 , I think?? It Will be the almost equal in hardness to GOOD wheel weight alloys.