PDA

View Full Version : Epoxy coaters, do you bake between each coat?

Whistler
09-23-2013, 08:25 AM
This is the method I've seen so far for epoxy paint based boolit coatings:

* Tumble/spray, let dry, bake. Repeat 2-3 times.

Has anyone tried doing it like this instead:

* Tumble/spray, let dry, repeat 2-3 times, bake.

In other words, does the new coat need the last coat to be baked to attach properly?

bangerjim
09-23-2013, 12:01 PM
I have experimented with VHT sprayed black epoxy on 300 slugs. All were sprayed ONCE and baked ONCE. 3 times is way to thick and will cause sizing problems.

My one off coating is hard as nails and will not come off. The shoot OK.

Most coatings need an uncured base to bond to. That applies to many wood finishes also. Baking each would form a hard surface the next coat may not molecular bond to as needed.

I really do not see the need for 2-3 coats of it or the ES gun-applied powder coating I use a standard for everything now.

Also, epoxy spray cans end up costing far more per boolit than using HF powder coating! Check it out. There is an excellent thread on here that walks you thru the process.

bangerjim

Balta
09-23-2013, 01:58 PM
I try not to bake each time and it works.But time is needed for first coat to dry so you can recoat again.Baking speed up process but you can do it without baking.I also keep my baking at lower temp so the coat is not fully cured providing better bonding of next coat. I do 2 3 coats depending of what bullets i use. 45 ACP can run 2 coats ,heavier 9 mm that i push around 880 fps also work nice with 2 coats.
Keep un mind that different paint behave different.I try some epoxy from Austria and that was total failure. I do it with Klass Kote epoxy and shipping to Europe is expensive.Paint that use "widerlader" is much much cheaper, its about 20 e por .
So yes you can coat bullets without baking but you will need more time.
Well with stuff i have i must admit that this coating is time consuming process .Before i pan lube and size in about 4 h of easy work about 1000 rounds. I cant paint- coat and size in this time more than 400 bullets.
But i really like shooting my own bullets without SMOKE:..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZZMEGeEUsA&feature=share&list=UUUR5iwTUHA6KW8OCm3NSKkA
And there look cool:

bangerjim
09-24-2013, 01:31 PM

prickett
09-24-2013, 10:31 PM
I just saw your post on Eastwood powder. Have you (or anyone) else used it? How does it compare to HF powder? I see they have several prices. Which one is best? It appears the more expensive powder looks metallic.

Whistler
09-25-2013, 06:06 AM
Though thankful for tips, we are all aware there are other threads about power coating.
Can we please keep this thread to epoxy coatings?

Fellas
10-01-2013, 07:18 AM
hi guys i am just new to this and i am reading all the stuff that i could find here , i am from Malta Europe and we have differnet product from the ones in the US. maybe i ask a stupid question
what epoxy paint are using is the primer or the finish and can you just coat for 3 or 4 times and let dry without putting in the oven

thanks for the useful info found here
andre

Balta
10-01-2013, 08:52 AM
Fellas
I try with some epoxy paint from Austria and didnt work. MIPA from Germany (the finish paint for metal) work if you can get it and Klas Kotte from USA work.If you cant find these paints be awaere that any new paint maybe can work better ar not gonna worka at all..
And yes ,keep us informed about your experience

hi guys i am just new to this and i am reading all the stuff that i could find here , i am from Malta Europe and we have differnet product from the ones in the US. maybe i ask a stupid question
what epoxy paint are using is the primer or the finish and can you just coat for 3 or 4 times and let dry without putting in the oven

thanks for the useful info found here
andre

Fellas
10-01-2013, 09:39 AM
i would like to know if someone tried without curing in the oven

bangerjim
10-01-2013, 11:06 AM
i would like to know if someone tried without curing in the oven

Most formulations of epoxy have specific directions on usage. Most I have used (on boolits and other items and tools) include a baking cycle/s in that procedure. Baking forms a molecular bonding process that makes the specific epoxy formula "set up" correctly. If a "bake" epoxy is not baked, it may be no different than a simple spray-on enamel paint.

Remember there are many different formulations and one guideline does not apply across the board, so please, if you want the best results, read and follow the directions for that specific coating.

Personally, the tests I do are 1) pound the slug flat on a steel surface nose to base with a 4# hammer - if it sticks and does not flake off or become loose, that is acceptable. 2) Acetone wipe test - if the coating comes off easily.....repeat......EASILY, it is not acceptable. 3) shoot it!

good luck!

bangerjim

Balta
10-01-2013, 03:26 PM
I try Class Cote without baking/curing in the oven and it works.But...that was a 5 days curing time.No special reson why a lethem 5 days it was just mather of my free time!

Fellas
10-02-2013, 06:09 AM
what is the process ? is it good to coat them for 3 times and how much time between each coating

thanks

Balta
10-02-2013, 02:54 PM
You can coat them again when there ar tack dry,so you can tach them without there stick to hand.About 1 h maybe more.To fuly cure for reload you need to wait 5 or more days..i never try less than 5 days maybe you dont have to wait that long..

Fellas
10-03-2013, 06:34 AM
thanks very much so before you shoot the coated bullets you have to leave them to dry up for 5 or more days?

thanks

Balta
10-03-2013, 09:28 AM
Yes ,but some paints can need more or less time to fully cure.See tehnic data of paint.