PDA

View Full Version : Smelting Info

30yrcaster
10-28-2007, 11:21 AM
I recently melted down some wheel weights I've had since the 70's and thought someone may be interested in some numbers I ended up with.

(1) 5 gal bucket of truck wheelweights = 100-110 lbs
(1/3) 5 gal buckets of car wheelweights = 50 lbs

1 pint of coleman fuel on a 2 burner coleman stove using 1 burner lasted 2 hrs
the 1 burner had no problem melting a 10 lb RCBS pot of lead in 15-20 min on a 55 degree day with 20 mph winds. I put a large plastic bucket to the side of the stove with the flaps from the stove in place.

Filling an RCBS ingot mold to the top so 4 ingots are stuck together weighs between 5.1 and 5.6 lbs. I like to make them this way as they are easier for me to stack or move. This was the form I bought alloy in. I put the large segmented bar in the vise and bend off ingots when I'm ready to cast bullets. These larger ingots fit in my ProMelt but you can't put as many of them in at a time.

(1) 10 lb RCBS pot of molten lead will not fill 2 ingot molds to the top. You'll need to add more metal to the pot to do a 2nd mold.

Using the 10 lb RCBS pot on the Coleman stove, it took 2 hrs to do 25 lbs or 5 full ingot molds using 1 ingot mold. Using only 1 10 lb pot didn't require 2 molds as by the time you heat more lead you can remove the current ingot.