PDA

View Full Version : Lee production pot PLUGGED

Mwsenoj
09-22-2013, 03:41 AM
I'm brand new to casting my own and I'm running into my first problem after casting my first lot of 100 or so boolits. Like the title says, I'm using a new Lee Production Pot and have used nuclear medicine containers for lead. I also have used paraffin wax for "flux" and now for the dummy move (maybe). I know sawdust is good to use as a real flux. I had just cleaned my shop out and didn't have any sawdust handy so I thought I might use sunflower seed shells since they are just cellulose too. The pour started out with a nonstop drip and then is all but plugged up now. I've wiggled and jiggled but no change is happening now. Is there a common way to clean out the mechanism of the drain? Thanks in advance.

Matt

Vinne
09-22-2013, 05:11 AM
What size pot do you have? A 10 or a 20 pounder?? Try a small torch directed at the spout for a few seconds while you lift the Valve Rod with a container to catch the flow. Also, bend a small a small wire or nail and try to clear the spout. USE GLOVES OR PLIERS AS THE WIRE WILL GET HOT FAST!!

On the 20# pot (4-20) there is a slot on top of the Valve Rod and a turn or two will, most of the time, clear the spout. If it still needs help, then ladle out as much of the lead as you can. Then remove the Valve Rod and tilt the pot back. Use a wire or nail to clear the spout. Hope this helps.

Sasquatch-1
09-22-2013, 07:58 AM
Vinne is pretty much spot on. With the Lee pots a flat head screw driver and a piece of wire, with something to hold it, is your best friend. Get the pot up to temperature and run something like a paperclip up and down in the spout until you get a good flow. If this doesn't work pour the lead out and carefully run a small drill bit through the spout. I also picked up some valve lapping paste at a local auto parts store and lapped the plug to the spout. As for the dripping, they came by the nickname "Drip-O-Matic" honestly.

ftut
09-22-2013, 08:58 AM
you might also try heating the nozzle with a propane torch. I ran into this problem where everything looked good but the lead wouldn't flow. I thought it was plugged with something ran a wire up the nozzle several times. It ended up being a cold nozzle. I hit it with the torch and the lead flowed right out. Now I keep the torch handy in case I need it.

Mwsenoj
09-22-2013, 11:31 AM
Thanks guys. I forgot to add that I drained the pot and there was a red powder coating the pot. First thought was rust, but it is very dry where I live here in the desert and the thing is almost brand new. And, I have the small production pot. Thanks again

Vinne
09-22-2013, 12:03 PM
Ever figure out what the red coating was on the pot?? Also, I keep one of those BBQ lighters handy to heat the spout a few seconds before starting my casting...works every time!!

Mwsenoj
09-22-2013, 12:23 PM
Ever figure out what the red coating was on the pot?? Also, I keep one of those BBQ lighters handy to heat the spout a few seconds before starting my casting...works every time!!

I'm not sure I would know how to get at identifying the red dusty coating.

Sasquatch-1
09-22-2013, 03:55 PM
Just a word of warning, I used a torch to heat the spout a couple of times on mine and ended up warping the bottom plate. Granted it is only soft aluminum but just thought I would warn you.

kb7tgr
09-29-2013, 06:56 PM
Thanx fro the heads up on the use of the torch on the nozle

ben lurkin
09-29-2013, 06:59 PM
The red dusty coating inside your pot is nothing more than rust. Iron doesn't need to get wet in order to oxidize

Mwsenoj
09-29-2013, 07:18 PM
The red dusty coating inside your pot is nothing more than rust. Iron doesn't need to get wet in order to oxidize

Yes, I know I don't need to soak the pot to make it rust, but I am still surprised that it would be rust since the humidity is usually below 30% (it's 9% at the moment). Could there be something else that is making the pot oxidize quickly?

sierra1911
10-02-2013, 10:38 PM
After my Lee pot has cooled somewhat after a casting session, I spray the inside of the pot and the surface of the lead with Pam to prevent rust and oxidation. Still haven't figured out why I have a craving for French fries every time I start casting. Lol.

Mwsenoj
10-02-2013, 11:25 PM
After my Lee pot has cooled somewhat after a casting session, I spray the inside of the pot and the surface of the lead with Pam to prevent rust and oxidation. Still haven't figured out why I have a craving for French fries every time I start casting. Lol.

Ooh! I think I'll give that a go