PDA

View Full Version : Cerrosafe - How To Pour???

robertbank
10-28-2007, 11:06 AM
OK, I just ordered some Cerrosafe from Bownells. I want to cast my chambers for my:

#4 Longbranch Lee Enfield
Norinco M1A1 (M-14)
Win Model 94 30-30

Melting the stuff is going to be the easy part. Stuffing the barrel leaving an inch of rifling so I can get a good handle on bore size - no problem, don't think.

Pouring the stuff into the chamber, could get exciting. Assuming you are writing for an idiot (me) when it comes to things mechanical have you any suggestions as to the best way about going about pouring my chambers. Wife maight suggest it goes beyond mechanical but that is for another discussion.

The M 14 should not be a problem I don't think but the bolt gun and lever might want some care and attention.

Once cast is there a time limit as to measuring the casting.

Take Care

Bob

danski26
10-28-2007, 11:30 AM
According to the directions;

"Cerrosafe shrinks slightly during initial cooling. It then expands to the chambers original size about one hour after cooling to room tempature. After cooling for about 200 hours, the chamber cast will expand about .0025" over the actual chamber size....."

As far as pouring I find pre-heating the action with a hair dryer helps a little bit. It helps keeps errant drips flowing down with gravity. Other than that be creative with your funnel making.

leftiye
10-28-2007, 05:13 PM
You are trying to cast a bolt action? I'd make a special funnel of metal to guide the metal to the chamber (maybe have it be part of the melting pot even) keep it warm/hot so the metal doesn't freeze in the tube (long enough tube to enable mouth to reach the chamber). Pair of gloves is plenty of protection from the heat. Wad of paper placed an inch or so down the barrel from the chamber to contain the metal. USE A RELEASE AGENT Some suggest a light oil, I like to use NEI mold prep ( don't like oil and lead together) Coat the whole area, inside of reciever too. The metal I have is a major b!t$h without the release agent.

35remington
10-28-2007, 06:44 PM
Copper tubing and a small cheap aluminum funnel is the answer, both at the hardware store. I flare the end the tubing so the funnel fits inside the tubing and needle nose vise grip them together. Both funnel and tubing with vise grip holding them together are placed on a electric burner or hot plate set on low to warm them so the Cerrosafe doesn't harden as it's poured through. Make sure tubing is a bit too hot to hold before pouring.

Make sure bore plug is in place and everything is ready to go before making the cast. Pour over a smooth hard surface so any spillage/drips/goofs don't stick to carpet material or get someplace where problems result. One of the ingredients of Cerrosafe is highly toxic cadmium.

I do bolts and levers this way; make sure the tubing gets past the locking lug recesses and into the chamber for the pour. There is usually no need for a full length chamber cast as the chamber neck, throat and first few inches of rifling are what I'm interested in. Cerrosafe gets between the fibers of cloth so make sure the plug patch is densely woven and has no frayed ends. It's hard to separate from the Cerrosafe.

I always did my Cerrosafe casting in the summer heat after letting my rifle "cook" on the dash or seat of my truck with all the windows rolled up. Plenty warmed up enough for a good cast. I actually stuck my automatics/revolvers or TC Contender barrels in the oven set at 175 degrees for awhile. Takes a little longer for the casting to cool but it's as perfect as I can make it.

smokemjoe
10-28-2007, 08:17 PM
I use a Lyman lead dipper. Warm the part like above , hair dryer or make a few cast first. Melt in the dipper .

robertbank
10-28-2007, 08:36 PM
Thanks guys. Since cerrosafe melts below the boiling point of water I may use a plastic funnel with plastic tubing hand pressed over the funnel. Should work. I will post the results of my casting efforts.

Take Care

Bob

MT Gianni
10-28-2007, 08:56 PM
Beer or soda can with a bent top works also. Gianni

mazo kid
11-04-2007, 02:24 PM
+1 for the cut-down beer/soda can. You can form a spout and also a handle. I use a double boiler sort of melting arrangement; if you do use the double boiler method, you can re-use the cerrosafe material. Emery