PDA

View Full Version : Too much lube?

Y-T71
09-21-2013, 08:37 PM
Just tried my hand at pan lubing for the first time. I'm lubing Lees 125 gr RNFP sized to .357" for my 9mm's.
I made a double batch of "Simple lube" and lubed away!

My question is will the extra lube I managed to get in the crimp groove matter in any way?

Here's a pic:

Dale in Louisiana
09-21-2013, 08:51 PM
Meh... Load 'em. wipe any excess off with an old rag.

dale in Louisiana

btroj
09-21-2013, 09:51 PM
Other than squeezing out when crimped it hurts nothing.

Y-T71
09-21-2013, 09:55 PM
Thanks for the replies fellas!
Kinda what I figured but it never hurts to ask.

fryboy
09-22-2013, 01:35 PM
i partially seat a boolit and then i remove it ,wipe away any excess lube and then finish seating it , ok to be fair i then wipe it again , some cartridges are worse for me , these get the above treatment and it helps keep lube buildup out of my seater die , those that are the worst for me are in part because for rifle rounds i expand/flare as little as possible in order to not work the brass too much , the plentiful brass ( aka 9 mm ,40 s&w, etc ) i have no qualms belling a bit more , on manyt of my loobed boolits i allow to sit out for 24 hours or so ( to dry/harden the lube ) i often then wipe of any excess if needed , the main thing is pay attention to your seating depth/crimping as a lube build up can and will alter it , a simple cleaning will bring it back into specs but it can happen

williamwaco
09-22-2013, 01:40 PM
It will not hurt anything except ,make a mess when you seat the bullet.

Be sure to remove the seating stem from your seating die and clean out the inside of the die.

Live and Learn.

Y-T71
09-22-2013, 02:36 PM
Hmm...excess lube in the seating die affecting seating depth is something I hadn't thought of. I figured worst case scenario, extra lube =extra smoke (maybe)
The only cast lead I ever loaded before in his caliber were commercial ones and hadn't ran into that problem, maybe because the lube was so much harder it tended to stay put.

I did take some time to wipe these ones down a bit to cut down on the mess so that SHOULD keep my die relatively clean but I'll definitely keep an eye out for that condition.

These will sit awhile before getting loaded so maybe the lube will harden up a bit till then.
Thanks again!

kb7tgr
09-29-2013, 06:50 PM
for sure keep an eye on your seating die. Don't ask how I know

stinjie
10-01-2013, 08:45 PM
Will you really be crimping into the groove for 9mm? If you to seat just past the crimp,then you get a second lube groove.Unless that makes for too small col.

geargnasher
10-02-2013, 01:52 PM
If roll-crimping for a revolver, lube can the groove can push a roll in the case right below the crimp. Just keep an eye on it.

Gear

gwpercle
10-02-2013, 07:33 PM
Nice looking boolits....you doing good! Keep on keepin' on.
Gary

kb7tgr
10-03-2013, 12:06 AM
Nice lookin boolits

Y-T71
10-04-2013, 06:58 PM
Will you really be crimping into the groove for 9mm? If you to seat just past the crimp,then you get a second lube groove.Unless that makes for too small col.

Nope I seated just until the crimp groove was no longer visable (~1.012" IIRC) & set my taper crimp die to just remove the bell on the case mouth.

Although they do have a rather short COAL, these functioned 100% in a CZ P-01, Springfield 1911 & Beretta 92.

When they get loaded in my .38spl they'll get roll crimped into the crimp groove

Thanks for the positive comments guys!