PDA

View Full Version : Epoxy coating success!

Balta
09-21-2013, 03:24 PM
After seeing some photo of me shooting the ipsc match with lead bullets i decide to do something about that (.I was in the cloud of smoke )
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=80129&d=1377382210
So...finally i have the time to test my first Color Coated Bullets...
I try some epoxy paint from Austria but that was a big time failure.Paint needed 24 h to be dry enough to touch .If i try to cure the paint in oven it will just melts.Work with this paint was so frustrating .Ahh.After 3 days i have the first batch.So i first hammer tested and the coating was failing like crazy...So dont use BlackWolf epoxy paint from Austria for bullet coating. Didnt work.
I didnt wanna to just give up and i order some Klass Kote epoxy paint .Following the recipe of „widerlader „ i try my first batch .I mix 1 part of paint ,1 part of hardener and 1 part of thinner. I decide to try 3 thin coats. To chek how the coating is thick i first size couple of bullets,but not all.All size my bullets at .357 and later with coating bullets measured .359-360. I tumble them in plastic bucket adding paint ,then put them to dry fro about 30,40 minuts until there „free to touch dry“..Put them in the oven for about 25 minutes at under 100 Celzijus.It was stinking but i didnt want to put them in temp where there start to fuming and smoking.I thought is better to avoid „over baking“ so the paint keep to be „elastic..“I repeat the process 3 times. I was coating bullets from Lee mold 125 grain 2R with removed grease grove and from MP molds 9 mm 147 BB and 140 grain PB.
From Lee mold with removed grease grove and my alloy ,bullets drooping at 130 grain.And i really like how the look like...
When i was doing my first batch i didnt have HBN povder ,or somthen similar and i order some black graphite and moly powder. Hbn was to expensive to be shipped from Usa to my country. But i „dust“ couple of bullets with graphite and then i try to sized them in Lee pushtruogh die and i feel that i needed much more force to size them then usualy. So i will not putting any graphite in paint definitely. I try same with Moly powder and sizing was much more easier so my next batch will be with moly powder ..Bullets past the hammer test and sized without the coating is scrached. I loaded 100 round and i finally have some time to go at range at shot them.
I fired 5 round to chek for accuracy but i was shooting to fast from the hands at 25 m so the „group“ don't look impressive but there look the same when i shoot FMJ.So nothing dramatically change regarding accuracy.
I shoot from my CZ 75 SP01 and G17.I must note that this G17 never like a .357 bullets and barrel is realy nice looking after shooting .356.I just forget about that and didnt size at .356 for this gun ,dont shoo them much often .Anyway you can see how the barrel was look after 50 rounds .
At first inch there was some „leading“ at both guns ,maybe at Glock some more.Rest of barell at both guns was realy nice looking,spotles. I try to clean that with brush like and Brunox ,the stuff i use at regular basis and ..no..“Leading“ was there..Then i figure that is not leading ,its paint.So i take some cloth and aceton and with couple of passes trough barrel i remove that..Now the barell is clean like never before Well i didnt like that burned paint residue but i really like shooting home made bullets WITHOUT smoke. There is video of me shooting and there smoke like FMJs...Definitely rest od my lead bullets gonna be color coated. I was pan lubing before btw..
Hieres videos
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZZMEGeEUsA&feature=share&list=UUUR5iwTUHA6KW8OCm3NSKkA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1FMUOJQpiI&feature=share&list=UUUR5iwTUHA6KW8OCm3NSKkA

jmort
09-21-2013, 03:48 PM
Yes that is "Success"
Thanks for the video links. People like you who are doing/sharing are awesome. Thanks