PDA

View Full Version : RCBS Pro-2000 -- First Reloading Session -- Primer Feed Issues

Jeff82
09-21-2013, 10:17 AM
I few weeks ago I made the jump to a progressive press, based on the help and input from this forum. Thanks to all for the advice and support! Last night I had my first reloading session with the press and with a brand new set of RBS cowboy dies to go with it. There was a lot of fine tuning and bugs to work out, and I got through that alright.

The one persistent problem I haven't licked is the primer system. The plastic strips jammed four times and required removed of the shell plate to dig out primers and plastic. Also, any number of times the primers seating upside down, or fell from the strip and didn't seat; lots of spilled powder and lots of time reacquainting myself with the bullet puller. I think there is a learning curve to become proficient with progressive presses, and that may be a big part of my problem with the primer system. Does anyone have advice on working with the primer feeder and especially how to clear jams effectively. I'm hoping to the get primer system working well, since depriming and priming as separate operations would lose much of the efficiency of using a progressive press.

Otherwise, things are working pretty well with it so far.

Thanks,

--Jeff

johnd5412
09-21-2013, 10:41 AM
The primer system has its own personality, just go slow until you are proficient and never force the ram, I also brake clean the entire primer area every 1k rounds, perhaps you should do it now to remove anything from the factory....that could be a factor for you.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
09-21-2013, 05:38 PM
Jeff,

If you're having problems with the priming system, it's likely your machine's timing is slightly off. It's been so long since I adjusted mine and I only did it once, but it's likely yours is out of adjustment. Either follow the adjustment procedure carefully from the manual or call RCBS technical support and get the information from them.

I can tell you that once you get it adjusted right the first time, it will stay adjusted. You may also want to google the priming system modification for the Pro 2000. It allows you to shut off the priming system until you get the rest of the system and the dies adjusted properly on a new die plate.

I hope this helps,

Dave

VHoward
09-21-2013, 07:02 PM
All good advice. Personally, I would be sitting in front of the press and call RCBS tech support. That way they could walk you through trouble shooting proceedures. It could be as simple as cleaning the factory lube off that area.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
09-22-2013, 01:01 AM
After rethinking your problem, you need to look at the primer seating punch and see if it is centered in the hole it comes up through. If not, definitely give RCBS a call. I initially received a subplate (the plate your shell plate connects to) that was machined improperly. I ended up having to replace the subplate before things would line up properly. Or it could be a primer seater that's the problem. In any case, calling RCBS while sitting in front of the press is a good idea.

BTW, did you get the auto advance or manual advance version? This can greatly affect the troubleshooting process.

Jeff82
09-22-2013, 11:01 AM
Last night I checked out the primer system using blank strips, and cleaned it out with brake cleaner as suggested. It seemed to function fine, no alignment issues or other problems. Now I'm thinking it has something to do with my operation of the press during reloading, or maybe something to do with how I load the primers into the strips. The version I have is manual indexing. I figured this would make for easier and more controlled operation. However, I think the downside is that I have to pay more attention to what is going on, since manually indexing the plate is one more thing to pay attention to.

Anyway, I'm thinking now that it has something to do with operator error and learning the particular likes and dislikes of the priming mechanism. Or so I hope.

--Jeff

VHoward
09-22-2013, 01:25 PM
Still call RCBS. They are happy to help because they want happy customers.

Jeff82
09-22-2013, 02:08 PM
Will do. I had an issue when setting up my press. A few screws were missing. I called RCBS and they shipped out the missing screws priority mail. One of the reason I went with RCBS is their customer service.

Thanks.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
09-22-2013, 02:13 PM
Forgot to mention, any time you set up any brand of progressive press, cleaning up the storage lube the manufacturers put on the press and parts is just about mandatory. After that, lube in the appropriate places. If there's any storage lube in anything, it'll usually manage to cause problems of some sort.

Here's a link to one of the mods I mentioned in an earlier post. It makes starting/stopping the primer system feed very convenient:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_42/322049_.html&page=1