PDA

View Full Version : Mp mold boolits hang

jdam169
09-21-2013, 09:27 AM
I have a mp 357-125 mold that the boolits keep hanging on the lube groove. I have to push on the base of the boolit to get it to release from mold. The mold didn't start out casting this way. I have tried diff temps and nothing helps. I read a post on here once about cleaning and using something to patina the mold. Do you think this is what needs to be done?

Jailer
09-21-2013, 09:55 AM
Get the mold hotter by casting faster. I've had the same problem with the same mold that went away once the mold got hot enough.

Mal Paso
09-21-2013, 10:33 AM
Check the underside (with mold position as casting) of the mold's grooves at the block face for a small spot of boolit metal. I had to use a 10X loop to see it the first time. Makes a little wedge to keep the boolit from dropping.

IF that is your problem, heat the mold, apply a little beeswax and use soft tools like wood and bronze wool to remove the deposit.

Patina helps a lot but I'm not totally rid of the problem. I think it may be that I never got all of the deposit off and those molecules attract more. Still working on it. I have a mold heat cycling right now.

jdam169
09-21-2013, 01:11 PM
I will try running it hotter this eve. I am running the mold and the lead the same temp in my 40 mold and no issues. I feel like there could be some small piece hanging them up. It is a 4 cab mold and only two hang all the time the others are random