PDA

View Full Version : Sage's gas checks

wch
09-21-2013, 07:28 AM
I see that the advice as to Al gas checks seems to be that you must have the correct gauge or thickness for them to work well.
Does anybody have experience with Sage's Al gas checks?
Are they the correct thickness for easy and accurate use?

Uncle Grinch
09-21-2013, 08:04 AM
I have used Sage's aluminum gas checks for my 375 Win. The first batch were too thin and would not stay on. I contacted Sage and he promptly sent me his "newer" version which were much thicker and seemed to work better. I did eventually pick up some Hornady GC and they work as expected.

All that being said, I am not convinced that aluminum is the way to go. It appears to lack the "spring" or ability to stay crimped. They are less expensive and seem to work better in smaller calibers. Nothing scientific, just my opinion.

Ben
09-21-2013, 08:05 AM
Sage is a " Stand UP Fellow ", you can purchase from him with confidence.
He is VERY knowledgeable about using and making AL gas checks.

Airman Basic
09-21-2013, 12:36 PM
Just received some 44 plain base aluminum checks from Sage. They seat well and stay seated with my RCBS Lubamatic bullet sizer. Haven't had the same luck with the the Lee sizers though. They tend to smear the checks one side or the other. Read you can slick the Lees up and make them work better but haven't tried that yet.

Sagebrush7
09-21-2013, 01:40 PM
Go to Walmart in the automotive, air compressor section and purchase the cone shape grinding stone for a drill motor. Lightly ease the sharp starting lip on the Lee sizer. Best use is in a drill press so it will be straight. I don't like the plain base checks but make them for customers who want them. They take more care and sizing to correct diameter before applying the check.

Just received some 44 plain base aluminum checks from Sage. They seat well and stay seated with my RCBS Lubamatic bullet sizer. Haven't had the same luck with the the Lee sizers though. They tend to smear the checks one side or the other. Read you can slick the Lees up and make them work better but haven't tried that yet.

Sagebrush7
09-21-2013, 01:44 PM
I see that the advice as to Al gas checks seems to be that you must have the correct gauge or thickness for them to work well.
Does anybody have experience with Sage's Al gas checks?
Are they the correct thickness for easy and accurate use?

Sage's outdoors stands behind there aluminum checks. If not satisfied will give 100% refund. Forum members get 10% discount.Please remind me! We have a nice selection of Gator copper checks. www.sagesoutdoors@yahoo.com James Sage