PDA

View Full Version : Tin based babbit

Razor
10-28-2007, 01:35 AM
I got in trade 3 ~7 lb. ingots of tin based babbit.
I propose to treat it as bar tin for alloying.
Good Idea ??
Bad idea ?
I don't think the 3.5% copper is going to be a problem because of the ratios involved.
I figured I'd give it a try and see how it does.
What do you fellas think ??
Short of sending it off to Horatio at CSI-Miami for analysis, is there a cheap and easy way to determine
its content ???
Thanks
Razor

JeffinNZ
10-28-2007, 04:44 AM
In short there is no cheap way to analys unless you know someone who can do it free for you.

I have been adding a similar babbitt to my clip on WW for some time with great results. The CU doesn't cause any problems as it is diluted so greatly.

The only down side so far is it would appear that by adding approximately 2% to my WW I can no longer heat treat to 30+ BHN as I used to with straight clip on WW. The highest I am getting now is 23 BHN. As it happens that is fine for the applications at hand but is something to consider.

Razor
10-28-2007, 11:21 AM
Thanks for your reply Jeff..
I've got some pure lead that I am wanting to alloy it with someday..
Right now I don't think I need to harden past the WW I use.
I'm into 100 yd paper punching and understand that WW is adequate as is, so the hardening downside you mentioned shouldn't be an issue for me now. But that is an aspect that is nice to know.
thanks
Razor

JeffinNZ
10-28-2007, 05:43 PM
RAZOR: If you are going to alloy the babbitt with pure Pb then you will be making the likes of 20-1 or such as favoured by the BPCR boys. Can't see you getting much past 10 BHN HOWEVER I am driving a 8 BHN bullet out of my .38-303 at 1670fps with outstanding accuracy over a full case of W748.

Tom W.
10-29-2007, 12:07 AM
It will work just fine. I've been using Ni Babbitt, which is 90some% tin,mixed with Pb or wheelweights for years from both my pistols, revolvers and longarms.

kawalekm
10-29-2007, 10:45 AM
Hello Razor
I picked up some recycled babtitt metal from my local scrap yard. They had melted it down and cast into sheets, so I just cut off 1lb chunks and added that to 19 lbs of wheelweights. It cast very well, though I don't have a hardness tester. I would say it was some of the best batches of bullets I ever cast. These days, it's all used up, so I"m mostly casting with wheelweights supplemented with scrap pewter at the same 1:20 ratio.
Michael